Original colour Ferrari 250 GT 0557GT (#73 winner Tour de France 1961) | FerrariChat

Original colour Ferrari 250 GT 0557GT (#73 winner Tour de France 1961)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by franmort, Feb 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. franmort

franmort Rookie

Feb 21, 2015
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Full Name:
    frank mortier
    For the model car builders and their collectors, the original colour or at least the colour of the Ferrari 250 GT with chassis number 0557GT, which - entered and driven by Alfonso de Portago - won the 1961 Tour de France remains a mystery.
    The model cars are mainly in grey. The restored car is in "French racing blue", if I am informed well, because they found traces of this color during the restoration.

Model car: Hand-built and decals by Pierre Fabreguez, kit AMR
    Source photos: pinterest.com, rmsothebys.com
    Credit photos restored car RM Sothebys Patrick Ernzen

Could someone on this forum solve the mystery?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
  3. franmort

franmort Rookie

Feb 21, 2015
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Full Name:
    frank mortier
    I apologize fot the typo.

4. franmort

franmort Rookie

Feb 21, 2015
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Full Name:
    frank mortier
    This is the information on the original colour of the 1956 250 GT gathered so far.
    After Alfonso de Portago died, the car was given by the family to Keith Schellenberg, a very dear friend of Alfonso.In an article about this particular car, published in the magazine Classic Car or Classic and Thoroughbred in the eighties, Schellenberg is telling that the car was blue upon receipt.
    An acquaintance of mine told me, that he had the opportunity in the past, during the Spa Six Hours, to ask Stirling Moss about the colour of the car during the 1956 Tour de France. Together with George Houel, Stirling Moss finished second in their 300 SL. He immediately told my acquaintance, that the car was blue.

This information is pointing in the direction of blue as the original colour.