Original Daytona Radio | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Original Daytona Radio

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by premieram, Nov 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    There was no "official" factory radio for the Daytona. Most came from the factory without them. Some came with them. I've seen several dozen original window stickers and factory delivery documentation on these cars. You'll see all sorts of period radios with them. Either from the factory, or installed by the dealer. That is why we allow any period correct radio for the Daytona in Concours judging. The original Becker Mexico in my Daytonas, and others I've seen, is a cassette, not an 8 track. Another one of my Spyders has an original 8 track Lear Jet 8 radio system. It is what came with the care and I have the original window sticker. You can usually get these cheap from MBZ guys.

Steve

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, cassettes actually came out before 8-tracks...cassettes were invented by Philips and first came out in 1962... 8-tracks were invented by the Lear Jet Company and were first offered in Ford cars in 1965...8-tracks were just thought to be better as they were new and played endlessly without having to take them out and turn them over to play the other side like with cassettes in the days before auto-reverse

3. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    That's interesting. I took a look at the window sticker of the Daytona Spyder with the Lear Jet Stereo 8 Model A-85 in dash radio (8 track) and the original owner paid $650 USD for the radio. A bit over the top for early 70s.

Steve

4. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
  5. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    #30 4redno, Nov 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Originally Posted by parkerfe View Post
    FYI, cassettes actually came out before 8-tracks...cassettes were invented by Philips and first came out in 1962... 8-tracks were invented by the Lear Jet Company and were first offered in Ford cars in 1965...8-tracks were just thought to be better as they were new and played endlessly without having to take them out and turn them over to play the other side like with cassettes in the days before auto-reverse
    Cassettes may have come out before 8-tracks BUT the Sony Walkman, high(er) quality cassette stereo sound was not introduced until 1979, (and then in Japan.) So 8-tracks were first as far as listening to music in cars. Some of the highere end period radios have a DIN plug -in- on the back of the box which you can plug an adapter cable to your iPod. I have that in my 330 and it sounds great in mono, as long as I can hear it - when the car isn't moving, (in traffic and the like).
    Yale

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Do you know which year the Daytona was that had this radio? Talk about resurrecting a thread!

Edward 96GTS likes this.