Original Ferrari 308 328 348 Tool Kit Roll Screwdriver, Pliers, Wrenches | FerrariChat

Original Ferrari 308 328 348 Tool Kit Roll Screwdriver, Pliers, Wrenches

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by ryanbushell, Jul 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    #1 ryanbushell, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have for sale an original ferrari 308 tool kit, complete with the original tool roll. In great condition, and complete with all tools.

Will ship worldwide.

300 GBP ono, PM me for details or more photos.

Please see my other items
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Interesting...there's no Tow Eye in a 308, it's an eyelet under the car.

That does look like a later (348??) Ferrari part, that one.

Good luck with sale.

3. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Okay thanks for the help

4. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My 1983 308qv tool kit had a tow eye

5. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Curious

Not being critical, nor saying that your kit is "wrong" somehow, but I am always trying to educate myself regarding the many variations to be found among 308 / 328 tool kits. This one raises some questions I'm interested in knowing the answers to:

Three of the screwdrivers look like the Ferrari tool kit screwdrivers I'm familiar with. They're deep red or black with long, narrow handles. The yellow one doesn't look like any Ferrari screwdriver I've seen.

Big Tex is the real expert on tool kits, though, and he didn't say anything.

What's the verdict on the pale orange or yellow screwdriver - an original I just haven't seen before, or aftermarket?

Also, are the wrenches Polytools/Italy, Everest/India, KRAVM, or just marked "Ferrari?" No spark plug wrench?

Looks like a nice kit, just interested to know more details!

6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

The scary part is think how many really nice tools you can buy for that money ;-)

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I wasn't going to mention the screwdriver....:D :D :D

Nice kit overall tho..

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yep...one thing I learned more than a few years back is that Ferrari dollars are an entirely different type of currency.

This thread has my curiosity up, need to take a look at my own 308 toolkit.

9. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    I'm no expert but my 348 spyder came with a leather case with 3 trays lined with tools and parts. I have never seen a tool roll for a 348. I'm guessing this is an aftermarket fit all tool roll from the likes of Pep Boys or JC Whitney.

just sayin'

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    1994 348 spyder

10. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    This kit is definitely 308, and apart from the yellow screwdriver is 100% original. It's definitely not an aftermarket item

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Ryan,

I defer to Alan ("Big Tex") who is the real expert on the 308 tool kit matter, but to my eye, and I am sorry, this tool roll is missing the spark plug tool and the emergency windows handle crank if this is an OEM 308 tool roll.
    You definitively should have these, no standard factory 308 tool kit came without. Your 14 mm wrench should be a combination wrench because the part with the eyelet is intended to come on the spark plug tool.

Notice, by the way, that the spark plug tool is useful to distinguish between a 308 and 328 tool roll, because plugs are 14 mm on a 308 and 12 mm on a 328, so the spark plug tool is different, with a socket that is visually smaller for a 328. There should also be no emergency windows handle crank for a 328 tool roll, even if a very small number among the very first 328 had the doors sockets for the emergency handle (one of my friends has one of these cars).

The two pairs of screwdrivers should have deep brownish/red translucent handles. Two small screwdrivers (one philipps, one flat) and two big ones (one philipps, one flat) .

All wrenches should be marked "Ferrari" on one side, and "Chrom vanadium Kravm" on the other for a mid-eighties to late eighties tool roll, be it 308 or 328.
    Alan will surely chime in for the earlier ones ("everest" ?).

There is no tow hook in a 308 or 328 tool roll, as both cars have an eyelet welded to the chassis in front of the right front wheel for towing, should the need arose.

Rgds

12. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    Great Info - Thanks!

13. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    #13 Bradley, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    1. Definitely a 308 tool rool.
    Most of the tools are probably original. I am certain that three of the four screwdrivers are OEM, and wouldn't mind seeing close-up photos of the other tools to say for certain. However, it is, in fact, missing a thing or two.

2. Definitely NOT correct for a 348.
    I believe that the OP just cast the net a liiiiiitttttttlllllllle too wide. It's a 308 tool roll, missing a couple of things, which could also be made correct with the addition of subtraction of a couple of tools, for a Boxer, Testarossa, or 288 GTO, as well as the 308/328.

3. Definitely NOT from "Pep Boys or JC Whitney."
    (I mean, dude. Seriously.) :)

Alan is famous here for a number of things - including his expertise on tool rolls. He's also a great guy all around.

I have little doubt that this is an original 308 tool roll. It is missing a few things, but I have heard that some 308's did not come with the window crank. I'm not certain about this; who has the final word?

The early 308 screwdrivers had the lighter-colored handles. To me, they look orange, although some have called them "light amber." The three screwdrivers shown here that are "deep brownish-red" are definitely original Ferrari screwdrivers appropriate to later 308's and 328's, and can be found both with and without "Ferrari" script on the handles.

The earliest of the 308's had "Everest/India" wrenches, I believe, but don't forget "Polytools/Italy," which I believe came in 308 tool kits in the late 70's and early 80's. (Not sure about the exact dates for Polytools, but my 82 308 came with these.)

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Bradley,

I know Big Tex (Alan) must be a nice guy from everything he writes, but I have not the privilege to have met him in person (yet?); I've never been to Texas…
    The closest I came of was six weeks ago when a certain "little ol' band from Texas" played us some boggie-blues, texas-style, here in Paris.

Back to tool kits, then. I've only got two 328s, but I do have six tool rolls….a few words to complete yours. I agree on all your observations, but a few words more.

One of my tool rolls is a genuine Testarossa one; well, it is close indeed to a late 308/328 tool kit, but it is nevertheless not the same.
    The tool roll itself is different: same dimensions but different pockets for the tools, as there is no wide pocket at right for the spark plug wrench, because the is no spark plug wrench in the roll, and there is no "14 combination wrench" either (not needed, because no spark plug wrench) but instead you have a 14 / 15 flat wrench (Chrom Vanadium Kravm) that is not included in any 308/328 tool roll.
    Otherwise, you have the same tools than in a 308/328 tool roll, that is two big screwdrivers (one Philipps, one flat) two small screwdrivers (one Philipps, one flat) deep brown/red translucent handles, marked "Ferrari"; the set of Chrom Vanadium Kravm flat wrenches, and the pliers.
    The one I've got came with a tow hook included, but it is obvious that the tow hook cannot be stowed in the tool roll, as it is too big and too heavy: it is about 3 inches in diameter and the ring is perfectly round. There is no pocket large enough for it in the tool roll, and I suspect it should go into the jack roll instead.

Note must be taken that at the end of the nineties and the beginning of the 2000's, the factory sold a generic replacement tool roll for all 1980's Ferraris, which was more or less the Testarossa one, that is, it didn't have neither the spark plug wrench nor its associated 14 combination wrench.
    Screwdrivers were the same, but not translucent red/brown: solid black handles instead.
    Flat wrenches were a mixed lot of "Chrom Vanadium Kravm" and "Promax". One pair of pliers.
    Note that the handles for those screwdrivers in that replacement tool roll, even if solid black instead of translucent red/brown, were nevertheless the same overall shape as the original translucent red/brown types, contrary to the screwdrivers found in the standard tool boxes of the cars of the 1990's and the 2000's (no tool rolls after the 1980's Ferraris; the newer cars got tool boxes in leather, with trays inside for the tools).
    So care must be taken if you are trying to complete an original one: tools from these replacement tool rolls will not do for an OEM roll, they should not be mixed together.

And to conclude, my experience here from France, which might be different from yours, about completing a tool roll for a late 308 or for a 328 which has some tools missing.
    - The easiest thing to find are the wrenches and the pliers: if your are a bit patient, the correct one you're searching for will pop-up one day or another.
    - The 14 combination wrench is more difficult to find.
    - The spark plug tool is very difficult to find, and it also must be the correct one: as already said, 308 got 14 mm plugs, so have the corresponding spark plug tool (big socket); 328 got 12 mm plugs so the spark plug tool has a corresponding, smaller, socket.
    - As for the screwdrivers, I don't know why or how, but the big philipps one is the easiest to find; the small philipps is harder, the big flat head much harder yet and the small flat head is the hardest to find, almost an extinct species.
    - The tool roll itself you must beware of the pockets, their size and their spacing, as most tool rolls look alike and adequate, but in fact are not: you wouldn't be able to put a pair of pliers and a spark plug tool in a Testarossa tool roll, as it has no pocket for the spark plug tool…

So my advise would be that, unless you are collecting tools and doing this for fun, whether possible do not try to complete a tool roll that has more than two tools missing: it could very well prove to be more expensive in the end than buying a complete one, especially if what is missing is the small flathead screwdriver and the spark plug tool.

Rgds

15. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Still for sale, price reduction to 250 GBP

16. ryanbushell

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    BUMP - 200 GBP

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Old thread, but there's a 348 tool "leather box" in FerrariAds right now
    The give away its 348 is the large single tooted belt in it.

To this thread, there's also a pretty nice 328 tool roll on eBay right now.
    Missing a screw driver, and would need to be "Back dated" for a 308, with older plug wrench, and a carb tool.

The two loose plugs (Champion, one of each heat range, street, and track.)..they actually store in pockets in the jack bag, with your spare fan belts.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As a price comparison, I sold one of my complete early 308 rolls for north of $1000USD.

I had to pay the rent, and I am selling the car, which didn't come to me, with the roll in the first place!

I appreciate all the kind words, and GLAD that ZZ Top rocked in Paris!
    You are welcome in Houston anytime..find the book "Billy F. Gibbons Rock and Roll gearhead", to read about his cars, and also great early history of the band.

I sold my roll because it completed an early fiberglass car..

As to emergency window cranks, my info is that there are two styles, early and late, so you have to find the one you need there too. Mine are all early of course, and in thirty years I have never used one! I just leave the window down in the rain....*&(^&^* it.

19. nullspace

nullspace Karting

Apr 1, 2014
  20. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    Hey everyone,

I'm about to buy a 348 TS toolkit. Missing pliers, one screw driver and the socket for the socket wrench, Otherwise is in great shape.

Any thoughts as to it's value?