Original stitching black leather interior | FerrariChat

Original stitching black leather interior

Discussion in '308/328' started by jford308, Nov 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jford308

jford308 Rookie

Aug 9, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ford
    The interior of my 1980 308 GTSi in getting a little tired. I bought the car new 38 years ago. The car has a black leather interior. When new, the stitching on the seats and door panels was not black. It was an off white. After 38 years of Hide Food, Lexol, and grime the stitching is now shades of tan and brown. It is too discolored to try and match anything to it. I would like to redo the interior as it was originally. All the manufacturers of seat covers seem to sell black leather with black stitching. Nobody seems to know what am talking about when I tell them originally the stitching was off white.
    I have seen several cars of the same vintage advertised on the internet (308 & 512) with off white stitching.
    The color is not the same bright white that is on the steering wheel.
    I know I am being picky, but does anyone know the correct shade of white stitching?

2. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Pretty cool that you bought it new! I also have a Red/Black 1980 GTSI

3. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Faced a very similar situation 10 years ago with my own red / black 80 GTSi - seems to be a pattern here - with leather seating well past it's sell-by date. I worked with GAHH to order a new set of seat covers. But in my case I used this work as my excuse to switch to tan seats, with a matching half of a hide for the door panels. A local shop did the seat install, and made the door panels using the old hides as a pattern.

In my case, I had black piping used for the seats for a complimentary look to the console which I intentionally kept original. And now 10 years later, I still like the end result and with absolutely no regrets.

Pictures: http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/dave80gtsi/library/1980%20308%20GTSi?sort=3&page=1

Point of this is not to call attention to myself, but rather to note that if you are thinking of new covers, GAHH can make the piping and stitching to be any color that you like.

Thanks - DM

thorn likes this.
  4. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith