Orinigal Order Sheet received, thrilled yet shocked! | FerrariChat

Orinigal Order Sheet received, thrilled yet shocked!

Discussion in '308/328' started by piezo, Dec 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Yesterday I have received the original Order Sheet of my QV dated 1 Oct 1982 from The Maranello Concessionaires Archive. I'm thrilled while opening the package and to my surprise, the exterior colour of my car is actually Rosso Met. 302/C instead of Rosso Corsa FER 300!

I've seen the car parked side by side with several others of Rosso Corsa and always wondered how my car looks a bit different in shade especially under bright sunlight. One thing is for sure, the paint sticker currently on my car was wrong and a later replacement. Now a new quest for me to see if it had a whole body re-paint in the history file or not.

So I have searched a bit and it seems only "ferraripete" has a 308 in Rosso Met. 302/C. Anyone else here? Or if anyone has a picture of a car in this colour?

Also, is it also called Rosso Rubino for the 75-79 models as suggested by some other forum members? I have doubts as Ferrari wasn't using Glasurit paint at that time and certainly a different code.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Congrats!

Ciao

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Steven,

TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE ("caveat paintor"!)
    but I would be happy to be challenged - with proofs - on the matter...

The Glidden Salchi color was indeed called by the name "Rosso Rubino" and its reference was 133-R-9. NOTE that it was a METALIZED paint.

Glasurit had TWO METALIZED REDS at the catalogue, 302/C "Rosso Rubino", AND 305/C, "Rosso Metalizzatto".

Now:
    - is the Glasurit 302/C "Rosso Rubino" the same color as Glidden Salchi's 133-R-9 "Rosso Rubino": probably not exactly, but close.
    - is your car in 302/C, or 305/C, today? From what I recall, to my eye, no, because it does not look to have a METALIZED PAINT. 305/C would be closer to 300, by the way, but would be metalized nevertheless...
    - has your car been repainted? This I can't tell, but should it be the case, you should be able to find the different red in difficult spots for a painted to cover, such as inside the doors, etc...
    - has it been really delivered in 302/C or 305/C? Difficult to say!

Rgds

4. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Fantastic documentation! How does one apply to receive this for their vehicle?

Thanks,

Anthony

5. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    +1 :)

Paul

6. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Plus a Bunch !!!!!!!

:)

7. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

The delivery order states it was "Rosso Met. FER 302/C" instead of Rosso Rubino.
    This information tallies with the info in the paint code reference page of Eurospares below:
    http://www.eurospares.co.uk/userImages/ebayShop/PaintCode.htm
    And Rosso Met. 305/C should be applicable for 84-89 model years, see the above page as well. Rosso Rubino was used in the Glidden Salchi era and there were also Rosso Rubino and Rosso Rubino Met. :)

I need to dig into my history file to see if there was a re-paint. So far I did not notice obvious evidence of a whole car re-paint and all internal places that I've seen did not show signs of a different shade of red or areas of painted over.

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Mark,

To the best of my knowledge, only Maranello Concessionaires is able to provide this today, for the cars sold new in the U.K.

Rgds

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Trouble is, without wanting to enter into any polemics, that I do not trust the Eurospares info on paints...

As for your car, and according to what you say above, we know that the paint described on the sheet order/delivery states the paint is METALISED: ROSSO MET FER 302/C; therefore part of the answer should be easy to define by looking at the paint that there is today on the car: is is metalised or not?
    If not, the probability that it has been repainted grows.

Rgds

10. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
  11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #11 Newman, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Measure the paint thickness. An original paint car from that era will be around .007" - .009". If you get a reading of .016" for example (on a stamped panel car not hand made panels) then you know its a repaint over original paint.

12. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Question is how did the metallic paint of that era look... I know how the modern ones look but not this particular Rosso Met, that's my original question here. It looks quite much brighter that Rosso Corsa but not really as shiny as the modern paint, is that metallic? I'm not sure...

13. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Good suggestion, will try this check if the history file has nothing. Thx!

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #14 nerofer, Dec 31, 2015
    Most of the Metallic paints from Glasurit during the eighties have some very tiny flakes of shiny/silvery material "inside the color/finish" (I think these are called spangles in English but I am not sure). Here is the Nero Fer 901/C of my 1989 # 80515 as an example.
    On the other hand, the non metallic paints, being enamel, are usually very uniform.

Rgds

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #15 nerofer, Dec 31, 2015
  16. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

How? How in the world did you get this stuff?? The factory is not exactly user friendly to 308 owners looking for history.

17. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Maranello Concessionaires Archive, for new cars delivered to UK only :)

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #18 Bullfighter, Dec 31, 2015
  19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Rossa Rubino (1970s) is a pretty dark metallic color, it has a lot of purple...think Merlot.

I am not as familiar with the paints after the 1980s, but surely a dealer close to you could sort it out.

That is a dealer info sheet that went with the car from the Factory, I don't think we can get those from the factory archives at this late date. Good for you, that they had it!!!

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The UK delaership, much like our Ron Tonkin, is one of the oldest continuous ownerships, and even then, you have to find a staff that will take the time, to dig it out from the files.

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    flake, as in "metal flake"......is the best way to say metallic here, to the uninitiated.

22. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I know someone who sold a Rosso Met QV earlier this year.

Its a very strange colour. In certain lights it looks pink. The car was very slow to sell and he would have been better getting it resprayed in Rosso Corsa.

Its completely different to Rosso Corsa, in fact it can hardly be described as red at all. Its more brown.

23. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Andy that's interesting. Any chance of a picture of that car? Is it similar to the 328 posted by Ron in #18?

24. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I just saw this car with a strange reddish colour in the recent FOCSD Facebook page thread... You can see the brighter red colour (Rosso Corsa?)further behind. Sorry for the stolen picture.

25. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    There are still some dealer pictures of the car online but I think they must have photoshopped them to make the car look more red because they are not representative at all of what it actually looked like.

Yes it is the colour shown in post 18