(OT) Terlingua Racing Team News | FerrariChat

(OT) Terlingua Racing Team News

Discussion in 'Texas' started by DIGMAN52, Jul 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #1 DIGMAN52, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Was cleaning out my closet and found a newsletter from my membership in the Terlingua Racing Team. Probably joined in 1967. At that time, I was 15, and tearing through every Road and Track, Hot Rod, and any other car magazine I could get my hands on. Had just moved on from slot cars, and my love of the Chaparrals, GT 40's and Cobra's.

Put my Terlingua Racing Team stickers on my 1963 Olds Cutlass my mom handed down to me. Had them on the rear fenders, framed by black bumble bee stripes. Totaled the car 2 months later.

Found out later, that Bill Neale, a hunting buddy of my dad's, was one of the three or 4 Dallas guys who teamed with Shelby to form the club. They had been partying on one of their ranches in Terlingua, and came up with the idea for the Chili Cook-offs. I think they are still going on to this day. Bill also designed the Rabbit logo that appears on all their stuff. Was lucky enough to do a 6 day trip to Big Bend with Bill and 30 other drivers, and he called Shelby from Terlingua while we were there. Most of the best paintings and drawings of Shelby were done by his best friend Bill Neale. He put a new TRT sticker on my 355 while we were there. One of the greatest car guys you could ever be around !

Just wanted to go down memory lane for a minute, and thought the Texas section would enjoy it as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I really enjoy Bill Neale's work...Gerald Roush's widow is selling one of his Ferrari pieces Gerald owned...too much for me!

You should buy it, and surprise him with it on your wall..

I got the Bar Sign......

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #3 FarmerDave, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's great! :)

I met Bill Neale in 2001, I won't retell the story for the hundredth time about how I came to be a Tifosi during the FCA Annual Meet, but this picture hangs proudly to this day on the wall of my office, Bill Neale was the artist commissioned to paint this scene for the commemorative print.

Note signatures from Bill Neale, Phil Hill, and Sergio Scaglietti as well! :)

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I just remembered I've got another print of Bill's to get framed. My parents got it for me for my birthday recently and Bill wrote me a nice note.

Tillman and I also joined the Terlingua Racing Team via the site that a fellow runs for Bill. The certificate came with a CD Rom full of PDFs of the old newsletters!

Phil, I know you don't see him often, but if you do have a chance to speak with Bill in the near future, please send him our best!

5. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    That is so cool that you can still join. I'm going to rejoin today, just for the newsletters.

I need to contact Bill and tell him people are thinking about him. Thanks Dave !

6. Lucky Larry

Lucky Larry Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Hey, Mr. Digman, that rally was great time. You may already know, but Bill's yellow Terlingua has been mine for several years now.

You remember on that trip the 01 Corvette that you and mark in the 911S tried to leave behind? Still have that car as well. Oh, and the blue GT, yep, it's still with me as well.

I hope this finds you doing well.

Larry

DRYHOLE likes this.
  7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Fantastic thread and pictures, thank you for sharing.

8. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Larry.
    Are you kidding me? I can still hear the scream of that supercharged vette blowing by the 911. Glad you still have the GT !

Absolutely the best car trip I have ever taken !

DRYHOLE likes this.