OT - Westchester guys - house in Scarsdale/Pelham/Chappaqua/Rye? | FerrariChat

OT - Westchester guys - house in Scarsdale/Pelham/Chappaqua/Rye?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by jhl1963, Nov 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jhl1963

jhl1963 Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Friends, the wife and I are shopping for a new house and are focusing on the above areas - appreciate your comments. Commute and good schools and focus #1. Thanks!

Jordan

2. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    you mean you and wife and friends are gonna live in one house?

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Scarsdale, good schools kinda boring, full of car philistines, you know the car as an appliace crowd, had to keep m ine in ct. Westchester great for kids and general living but zip going on at the weekend, If youre into outdoors you need a boat or a wekend place further out.

Train commute is 28 mins to GCT

4. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Always the smartazz Chris!

Nevertheless... you are looking at premium territories Jordan. Several of our biggest automobile collectors call that area home.

5. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    LOL... car philistines is so true... you'll encounter a sea of Lexus SUV's, volvo wagons and SAAB's... but the public schools in Scarsdale and Chappaqua are first rate in Westchester..

6. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Tons of Carreras, Merc SL's, AMG sedans- not bad at all.. All of the towns you've mentioned have a very limited racial background- not a place I'd raise my kids..

7. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    All excellent places to raise a family. There are quite a few other towns along the Hudson as well that are top caliber and an easy train ride into NYC. As with any affluent town you are not going to have tremendous diversity or range of income brackets, but you will have a beautiful environment with the typical issues of wealth and affluence. Not sure where you'll be moving from, but do be prepared for RE taxes that will knock you off your chair and prices that are beyond rediculous for what you get. But as some of the folks here say...you gotta pay to play. Those towns (and Westchester in general these days) are the definition of that statement.

8. Nabbs

Nabbs Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Naveed
    I grew up in Hastings-on-Hudson, went to Hackley -- and can only say that I would rather live in Utah amongst the Mormons then ever live in Westchester ever again. So obviously, my take is biased.

All are within easy commute via the MetroNorth. Pelham is closer to Mt.Vernon, and although it has a decent public school, every year the Bronx moves farther and farther north (I have had some of the scariest moments in my life in Mt.Vernon). The nice thing about Pelham is that it has somewhat of a "burough" feel to it -- and is the closest to the city. Rye (home of PlayLand), is more old money and has some beautiful waterfront property.

Ah Scarsdale -- I could devote an entire essay to the evils of this town. If you go by public school rankings I would guess Scarsdale rates pretty high. However, the products of Scarsdale are usually the kind of people that yell at waiters for putting to much ice in their ice tea.

Jap/Wasp-aqua offers probablly the largest property lots out of all them -- but also is the farthest from NYC (and probablly the most rural).

I would look at some of the Hudson towns such as Hastings, Irvington, Tarrytown, etc (also take a look at Bronxville). Hastings actually has one of the best HS in the country, and is 15miles from Manhattan -- all while offering a nice waterfront view of the Pallisades. The river towns tend to be wealthy, but considerably less gaudy and outrageous then the other towns you mentioned. Whether you go east or west the closer you are to NYC the smaller the properties are.

Now let me put a totally different spin on things -- I was born in NYC, went to Bank Street then Calhoun, and then my parents got the idea that the suburbs would be better to raise kids then NYC. All I can say is that neither I nor the wife plan to do the same. Both her and her sister went to Stuyvessant HS, and both went on to get doctorates from Ivy League univ. I can tell you that raising a kid in the city exposes them to more multiculturalism, diversity and tolerance then any suburban town (and I'm like the least PC guy out there). There are plenty of better schools in NYC then there are in the burbs. Addtionally, you have some of the best schools in the country in NYC (Stuy, BX Science, etc). Finally, you can always send you kids to some of the private schools like Hackley, Riverdale, Calhoun, Cathedral, etc.

Best of luck with your decesion...

-N

9. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Rye is excellent for raising kids. You also get Playland.

10. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I think you hit the nail on the head on many points.. JAPsdale and Waspaqua is right... However, having gone to Horace Mann with many affluent kids who grew up on the upper east side, kids in the city growing up to diversity, multiculturalism and tolerance is very subjective at best... I didn't find any of my classmates or acquaintances from private schools in the city to be particularly tolerant or ethnically diverse..

If you're going to send your kids to private school, I think you're better off living in Fairfield Cty. CT or somewhere in the city where property taxes are far lower, than living in a Scarsdale and foregoing the good public school system...

11. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    you'll see tons of carreras and Benzes, but most of them will be tiptronics or beotchsticks because the owners are either too lazy or don't know how to drive stick..

12. jhl1963

jhl1963 Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Thanks everybody for the helpful comments both online and off, especially Kenny H. Exactly what I was looking for.

Have great night.

Jordan

13. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    That Kenny... he's a smart guy. :)

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We've built and sold over 100 houses in Chappaqua, Scarsdale, Bedford and always have several for sale. Pm me if you're interested.

15. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    if i dont get something i shall not ask??

16. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Didnt think you were being serious Chris... if you look at his orig post, he addressed all of us as friends, then separated with a comma, and further explained he and his wife were house hunting. I figured that was pretty obvious, thus assumed you were making a joke. I was merely being jovial as well.