Our First Prancing Pony | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Our First Prancing Pony

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tomc, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I’m still hunting too from the frozen great white North
    Thanks for keeping this thread going, it inspires me.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, if the wife & I can survive the stress of Ferrari ownership, anyone can! Hope 2018 if your year to make your Ferrari dream come true...T

3. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
  4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    All right, Mo!! Makes your garage 10x classier! Hope the weather down there is cooperating for Cali driving. Best wishes for 2018!
    T

5. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Hey its Houston, unless its raining - I get to ride mine once or twice a week - all year long.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's the way it should be, Mo. These cars are made to be driven. It's been unusually cool up here in Dallas. Took the Cali out the other day for some exercise despite the temps. Coldest temperatures that we've driven the F-car in.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

46 F! It was as low as 44 F during the drive. Dry though. Since we're riding on summer tires, MPSS, no crazy maneuvers, just GT-ing around town, running a few errands. I love that the TPMS shows temps as well as pressures. Wish all our cars had that feature.

T

7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom some of us who live in places that have no cold winters never or rarely experience what's tire grip reduction caused by ice, snow and also low temperatures. Recently we've had a week with temperatures in the region of 46F with dry conditions and I happened to drive my F12 then. I put the tire temperature indicator on the TPMS just to check the temperatures before and after driving for a while. Despite having driven for more than half and hour and in certain sections at high speed, the tire temperatures never reached the optimal temperature and were at least 20ºC below that value. In roads located in places having cooler weather the difference between the real tires temperature and the ideal temperature will be much bigger and that will further contribute to a loss in grip.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Mario...What do you consider ideal tire temp?

I have Ferrari (K2) spec MPSS on the Cali. During our jaunt the other day (~ 1 hour) - outside temps were 46 +/- 2 F (~ 7 C) and the tires were operating at mid to upper 70s F (~ 28 C) after driving around on dry surface streets with only a little highway driving once the tires warmed up. Thanks, and best wishes for 2018...T

9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom from what I've experienced already in the track and also at high speed in motorways I figure the ideal gripping temperature is between 60 and 70ºC. Tank you and best wishes for 2018……...

10. HJZ360

HJZ360 Karting

Nov 27, 2017
    Weslaco, Texas
    Full Name:
    Harold John Zurlo
    Best of luck, beautiful, enjoy! After 30+ years of Corvettes, we purchased a 2002 360 F1 last month, amazing automobile!

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    They are indeed. Guaranteed to put a smile on our faces every time we take her out for a spin! Congrats on your new F-car. Drive the heck out of it!
    T

HJZ360 likes this.
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    After about a month-long hiatus - our longest since buying the Cali almost 2 years ago - due to work, weather, travel, annual service, etc. back behind the wheel. Early Sunday fun run, topped off with picking up some groceries! :)
    T

HJZ360 likes this.
  13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Nice picture angle Tom and it's good to know you're back.

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thank you, Mario! I think it looks pretty good from that angle. It really makes me appreciate the hood scoop, which evokes it's classic namesake - especially in an historic color like avorio.

It has been an unusually cold/rainy - by Texas standards - winter for us. Last winter - our first with the Cali - we were spoiled with top-down weather in January & February. This past January it was 4 degrees (F not C!). But, weather is now warming back up, and as of today, the rain has stopped and the sun is out for the 1st time in about 4 or 5 days! So, I worked early this morning, and then took the Cali out for some much needed exercise...T

MDEL likes this.
  15. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Glad to see you taking advantage of the weather Tom! I believe you guys are sending the rain our way over the next few days. My beauty is in the shop so I’ve missed this week of 80 deg temps. Although the pollen wouldn’t look too good on the black anyway. I’m getting my stuck fuel door release fixed, my sticky buttons cleaned up, the brake light mod mentioned in another post done and a signal booster for the fm radio installed as a part of the new Pioneer AVIC 8200NEX system. Not that I should listen to anything other than the engine!

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think so, Andy. I was talking to my aunt in NYC, and she said similar - very warm (for winter) followed by very cold. I also had worse luck @ planning my weekly schedule this winter. Days I've been off, it's been cold. Days I have unavoidable meetings, it's been nice driving weather. Dang work! :(
    Hope your car is back & the weather gets warm.
    T

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Long day @ work, so I decided that a little after-work/before-dinner romp in the Cali was the appropriate attitude readjustment device in light of the mild temps, and an impending business trip.

Passed a big milestone. 16K miles. Just checked, it took 4 months to get there from 15K.
    A lame 250 miles per month. Gotta do better! :)
    The moon was out. One of those bright lights is the moon, the other is a street light!

T

MDEL likes this.
  18. HJZ360

HJZ360 Karting

Nov 27, 2017
    Weslaco, Texas
    Full Name:
    Harold John Zurlo
    I also did the same yesterday, makes a relaxing finish for the day!

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It was indeed. I don't usually drive @ dusk, but needed to unwind a little. Where I typically drive is open country - I saw a few deer out foraging. So, I thought it best to keep the MPHs near the speed limit, and just enjoy the car, while keeping a very close eye on the road. It was fun nonetheless...T

HJZ360 likes this.
  20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Eclipsed 11K miles on our watch today. Almost 17K total.
    Finally warm enough for top down driving.

Picked our friend up at the airport.
    Funny enough, on the way home, a young man in a Prius rolls up next to me at a red light, rolls down his window and asks if I'd like to race! We both had a good laugh.
    T
    P.s.. I smoked him when the light turned green, just for good measure.

21. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Looking good Tom. It’ll be 70 deg here today and 78 tomorrow. Looking forward to top down driving this weekend. I’ve put on 3k miles since October with just occasional w/e local driving. 12k at purchase to 15k. Are you conscious of restricting mileage or are you just gonna drive it and enjoy it? I assume the latter which is how I’m leaning.

22. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    It snowed in MN today.

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good work. Enjoy the convertible
    weather before it gets too roasty!

Drive it!! The day we bought it, I envisioned a big pile of cash equal to what we paid for it going up in flames. Poof! They made a butt load of them by Ferrari standards. Unless you have one of the unicorn manual transmission Calis, I don't think they're likely to be worth much in the future. So, no motivation for us to keep mileage low and not enjoy it. I could be wrong, of course, but I'll have a lotta miles and smiles until then.

Just drove it another 60 miles this morning to buy a turnip for a soup that I'm making!
    Dawn patrol in the Cali.

Flower Mound Kroger. Really, the dude in the van had to park right there?

Turnip is my co-pilot. Didn't complain once about my speed.

Mission accomplished.

T

MDEL likes this.
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    With the days lengthening, and weather warming, can now get up early, and do some driving before heading off to work.
    By the way, drove the Cali yesterday - nice sunny day, not a cloud in the sky - avorio looks great in the sunshine.
    That is all. Happy Ferrari-ing everyone!
    T

MDEL and good2go like this.
  25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C