Our First Prancing Pony | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Our First Prancing Pony

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tomc, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom your Cali looks splendid in the pictures, looking at it I really miss the open top. The sky was blue and the company was certainly excellent because I can see Ferraris for every taste.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thank you, as always, Mario, for the kind words. It was a great day, weather and car wise. Enthusiasts from all over, all ages.

Showing the car is nice, driving it is better. Got up early on Sunday, intending to eclipse the 17K mile mark. Roughly 200 km later, like Sebastian Vettel @ Baku, I came up a little short. 16,998 miles. ☹️

Windmills up near the Oklahoma-Texas border. As seen from the Cali.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cooling off in St Jo, Texas. Ready to pop the convertible top.

T

MDEL likes this.
  3. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Was at Boardwalk today, dropping off the Cali for service, and they had my award trophy from last Fall!

Ferrari on the green, if Google translate is to be believed. Sweet, now it's a multiple award winner. (Won an award at a PCA event!) If only I had known, I'da drove it less.

Gotta roll, time to start a valuation thread.

T

Cigarzman and MDEL like this.
  4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Congrats Tom , musta been the no socks look as well as the gorgeous car. :)

tomc likes this.
  5. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    hey guys, got my 2013 cali 30 from miller also in late march. they are wonderful folks to deal with, especially Alex DeLuca. mine is black/black and loaded to the gills; it listed for $289k ($38k in options) and had 10,500 on the clock. my wife says of all the cars you have had (many,many) this is the only one i'll keep when you die!!!!!!!!!
    Bud in SC

tomc likes this.
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    And I have you to thank for setting me straight on that, Kirk! Actually, the concorso rules emphasized originality not cleanliness, so no penalty for piling on the miles on the Cali.

I hope you're enjoying your new 488 Spider.

T

7. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Let me know when you’re passing through Columbia and we’ll match up my ‘10 black/black with your ‘13 and we’ll stop traffic on the byways. I’ll try to keep up!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    WII DO! TRY TO ATTEND ONE OF OUR CARS & COFFEE EVENTS IN GREENVILLE. WE AVERAGE 800/1000 CARS EACH MONTH. GO TO CARS&COFFEEUPSTATE.COM FOR SAMPLES. BUD

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lol. Your wife sounds like a keeper!

My wife loves the Cali, she's driven it a couple times, but truth be told, as a Texas gal, she prefers a pickup truck.
    If Marchionne ever decides to release a Ferrari pickup truck, she'll be first on line!

I dealt with Stephen Daley @ Miller, who has since retired. Great purchase experience all around.

T

P.s. Bud - have you posted pics of your Cali?

10. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    HEY T, I TALKED WITH ALEX THIS AM AND HE SAID HE REMEMBERED YOUR CAR AND STEPHEN SELLING IT TO YOU BEFORE HE RETIRED. YOUR COLOR COMBINATION IS BEAUTIFULLY UNIQUE PER ALEX AND I AGREE. AT 76, I'M NOT THE BRIGHEST BULB IN THE BOX ANYMORE SO I'LL GET ONE OF MY GRANDSONS TO UPLOAD SOME MILLER PHOTOS ON MY 30. KEEP IT BETWEEN THE DITCHES DUDE! BUD

11. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    THE R8 WAS MY TRADE IN FOR THE CALI...…..

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Aha. I was thinking you bought 2 cars! Great looking Cali, Bud. All the red trim on the interior really sets off the nero. Those grandsons of yours are gonna love driving in it. Very sharp...T

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks. I was afraid that all our constant newbie questions pushed Stephen into early retirement! :) Seriously though, he was great to deal with. My wife gets all the credit for the color combo: she saw it, she loved it, she said "stop looking & buy it already!" Can't argue with that! And, in 2+ yrs, 12K+miles - we still enjoy the heck out of it. The good folks @ Boardwalk Ferrari are getting the doors and rear quarter panels wrapped for me. So, more driving, less worrying about dirt and such. Hope you enjoy your new Cali as much as we've enjoyed ours. It's a stunner.
    T

14. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I was just thinking the same thing, that red stitching looks great. I hadn’t seen that before and it sure popped in the photos, enough so I stopped and really looked for a minute.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    C'mon AZ, jump into the Cali pool!! There's tons of tasty Calis out there, and the weather is perfect for pop top Ferrari fun!

T

16. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Gotta pay off truck first, and hope I don’t have to replace my tractor ( hopefully it’s repairable at a reasonable cost) and if all goes well I’ll hopefully be purchasing within my timeline of this winter.

Unfortunately I have to keep a healthy reserve for business expenses. If it weren’t for that I’d probably already have bought one. Now I’m going back and forth on weather I want a Cali 30 or a T.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I hear ya. The wife & I are debt averse too. Definitely don't want any nagging fiscal concerns when you're enjoying your F-car...T

18. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Believe me I’m chomping at the bit. But being fiscally responsible is more important to me then getting a play toy right away. But I’ve learned an awful lot about these cars and met a bunch of cool folks on here. I’m very confident I’m equipped to purchase when the time comes with confidence.

tomc likes this.
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    For the first time since we have owned her, had to drive the Cali in rush hour! :mad:
    To those folks who DD their F-cars in traffic, major respect. However, despite 2 hours
    of putzing around in stop & go traffic in 90 - 95 F temps w/ AC blasting
    (Mrs. TomC was riding shotgun!) - car took it all in stride. I - on the other hand - need
    an adult beverage!
    LBJ/635. If I go faster, maybe I can catch up w/ the ice cream truck?!? :D
    T

AD211 likes this.
  20. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    We drive our rented California t in rush hour in Vegas, it sucked. Only had one incident of someone being an idiot and trying to take a picture and blocked us from merging over to take the Hoover dam exit. I feel your pain. In just over a month I’ll be in Vegas again but this time I’ll be renting a 458. Hopefully it’s another uneventful enjoyable cruise.

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yeah. but driving up The Strip @ night in the Cali w/ the top popped has got to be epic! Are you renting the Italia or the Spider?
    T

22. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Spider, these hard tops look amazing. Never used to be a convertible guy because I always thought the cloth tops just looked terrible, and would leak and even possibly easier to break into.

As for driving on the strip at night, I haven’t done that since 99 or 2000. Just too busy. But we did pop the top and cruise down the strip first thing in the morning while there was hardly anyone around now that was cool.

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Agreed. In comparison to the HTCs like the Cali & Porto, traditional rag top F-cars look odd and dated to my eyes. Safe travels to Vegas!
    T

azlin75 likes this.