Our First Prancing Pony | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Our First Prancing Pony

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tomc, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I thought I spied a Blackhawks plate!

2. dimka1978

dimka1978 Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dimitri Turchenkov
    O my god, until now i even didnt realized. I def want it :)

jblakesmith_gt likes this.
  3. dimka1978

dimka1978 Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dimitri Turchenkov
    yep )))

4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    When we looked for our car last year, we limited ourselves to the Chicagoland market, because we wanted to see and test drive the car. There were relatively few Cali 30's (2013-2014) to choose from even then. I think a lot of people have kept these cars. I would not want to buy a car sight unseen, especially my first Ferrari, but some have done so.

5. dimka1978

dimka1978 Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dimitri Turchenkov
    For sure im not going to buy it sight unseen. Ideally to buy it locally. Im looking every day and now we have only 3 cars in my price range

6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Have you contacted Lake Forest Ferrari or Continental Autosports? We are fortunate to have two Ferrari dealers in the Chicago area!

tomc likes this.
  7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I bought mine sight unseen from Miller in CT. Of course, (a) I did not know any better, and (b) got lucky to get a great, well-behaved Cali. If you are not driving much, the Cali would be a great weekend car, for example, if you commute via public transportation or car pool during the week. I will say that the circumstantial evidence here on F-chat is that these cars do best when they are driven regularly...T

8. dimka1978

dimka1978 Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dimitri Turchenkov
    Lake forest has 2, but i dont like non of them

9. dimka1978

dimka1978 Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dimitri Turchenkov
    Thank you Tom.
    I know you have it for a long time, can you honestly tell yearly expenses? Because i hear all different prices on an internet. Is warranty a must have or better pay out of pocket sometimes

10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It may be worth your while to contact them; they may have info on customers who want to sell their Calis. It is difficult and sometimes frustrating to get a pre-owned car, but it's part of the chase. At this point, you may want to wait until Spring. Perhaps restrictions will lessen and you can travel to see some cars. Yellow Compass may be another option.

11. dimka1978

dimka1978 Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dimitri Turchenkov
    Im fine to wait, winter is coming anyway lol

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The # I have estimated is - INCLUDING PURCHASE PRICE (we bought it cash) - $4 - $5 K per month, that also includes insurance, gas, FCA events, maintenance, repairs, upgrades, spa days, tires, etc. If you delete the purchase price, I guestimate something in the $1.5 - 2 K / month range.

I cannot speak to the warranty, as it all depends on your risk aversion. My wife & I decided early on that we wanted to get the warranty, buy a CPO'd car, and get it from one of the well-regarded dealers. In the end, we could not be happier with both the purchase and the service experience for our Cali.

Being in Chicago, you likely have both dealer and independent options, so I would talk to as many people as you can. Ideally, you only have to deal with the selling dealership once. Unless you are super handy, on these modern cars, you are going to need someone to service it for you. If that is a pain in the butt, why bother spending all this money. That's my 2 cents...T

russellmcg likes this.
  13. dimka1978

dimka1978 Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dimitri Turchenkov
    Thank you Tom. Thats a lot, its like 20-24k a year. I was thinking and hoping to be around 10k

tomc and russellmcg like this.
  14. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If I don't count gas, insurance, and only depreciation and repairs, you have these costs owning any car.
    From purchase price to sale, 4 years in a 2006 430 Spider cost me less than $550 a month and 1 year in the Cali T has cost me $150 a month so far...
    Just my experience yours may vary!

tomc likes this.
  15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I put 14k miles on a 2013 Cali 30 and now 8k miles on a 2015 Cali T. I had warranty on both cars, plus the free services, so my running costs were essentially zero, other than a new set of tires for the Cali 30 and a new battery for the Cali T -- plus extending the warranty on the Cali 30. As far as actual repairs, other than a troublesome top sensor on the Cali 30 (covered by warranty), both cars were just fine. I think driving them regularly has a lot to do with keeping everything happy and running well. I bought both cars from Ferrari dealers.

I would either pop for the Ferrari New Power warranty on the car, for peace of mind -- $4500 a year or so -- or put that $4500 away annually against future repairs. You may come out ahead that way. I think most Ferrari dealers just price the New Power coverage into the car (I got 2 years on the Cali T), or you can negotiate a lower price on it as part of the sale.

Your mileage may vary, literally. ;) But I like to quote Tom Petty ... "Most things I worry about, never happen anyway."

Nospinzone and tomc like this.
  16. dimka1978

dimka1978 Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dimitri Turchenkov
    Thank you guys for your replies. Now im confident that its that expensive to enjoy that beautiful car. All my previous cars was under warranty, so i used to it, and from what i see Ferrari extended not by much expensive than Mercedes.
    Gas and depreciation i never calculated as an expense, just got used to it, and depreciation on those Cali are very low.
    So i cant wait to join the family :)

tomc likes this.
  17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #517 Nospinzone, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Dimitri, I’ll give you my advice. Keeping in mind it is free advice, take it for what it is worth.

There are several key factors in whether to purchase an extended warranty. There is your innate risk tolerance, your financial situation, the likelihood of a claim, the coverage of the warranty, and I guess this is part of risk tolerance, but in the words of Dirty Harry, “do you feel lucky today, do you punk?”. :D

I bought my 2008 612 Scaglietti in 2013. Everything I read and learned about the car was it was very reliable. Could something catastrophic happen, sure but the odds were in my favor. In 7 years of ownership I’ve spent about $2500 in repairs. I bought my 2015 FF exactly a year ago. So far, knock on wood, I’ve spent nothing on repairs. So if I had purchased warranties on these cars, I would have already spent at least $25,000.

I do have a high risk tolerance. My financial situation would allow me to pay for a catastrophic repair if it occurred. I’ve read so many posts on FChat of people who bought a Ferrari warranty only to find out that their problem was not covered. However, I’ve read of people who bought the warranty and within a year it paid off in spades.

So to quote a Harry Belafonte song,

“It was clear as mud,

But it covered the ground,

And the confusion

Made me brain go round” :D:D:D

(If anyone is interested in the song, here it is - )

vjd3 and tomc like this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Dmitri, the F-chat sages have weighed in!
    You can trust Paul's advice, unless it is about picking NFL teams, then run! :D
    T

19. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Well, today we had our first measurable snow in Chicago. My advice is to sit tight for December, January and February (that's only 90 days) and resume your search in the Spring!

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hey! I represent that remark! I believe I beat you this week :D

21. dimka1978

dimka1978 Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dimitri Turchenkov
    Maybe now its even better, maybe i can get a better price

22. dimka1978

dimka1978 Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dimitri Turchenkov
    Thank you Paul
    From my experience i was also lucky, but i always payed for extended warranty, never used it...but Ferrari....getting me scared

23. dimka1978

dimka1978 Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dimitri Turchenkov
    Is it that bas with NLF picks? ;)

24. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    In that case, I would just buy the warranty. Even if you (hopefully) don't ever use it, at least for you it brought you peace of mind.

tomc likes this.
  25. dimka1978

dimka1978 Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Dimitri Turchenkov
    Thats what probably im going to do

Nospinzone likes this.