Our First Prancing Pony | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Our First Prancing Pony

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tomc, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice! I'm sure you're rarin' to go after a long Chicago winter. Late winter/early spring has been kind of odd weather for us. Cooler than normal, maybe by 5 - 10 degrees F, but really hasn't been noticeably wetter than normal...T

2. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Looking forward to your 30k celebration!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, Andy!
    Me too! I was hoping to be @ 30 K by the 5th anniversary - which is later this week - but since the pandemic, I've been driving more often, but shorter drives - if that makes sense. 30 K by year end is my new goal!
    Hope you are doing well.
    T

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    MDEL, AD211, SLViper1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Finally, the clouds parted and the skies cleared this AM, so took the Cali out for some exercise before my morning meetings.
    Impressive that now with morning temps in the upper 70s, how that translates into extra grip in the tires (MP4Ss).

Since I am not good enough to take pics and drive at the same time, one of my trademark, stopped in traffic shots out the front window! :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

T

p.s. Not sure why there is also a picture of the enchiladas I made for supper, but if you want the recipe. Let me know! :p

Attached Files:

MDEL and AD211 like this.
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Gassing up yesterday. 20 miles from home. Hmm. I think I'm going to need a longer way home!
    Note to self - fix clock on Cali, change AM to PM! :p
    Mission accomplished!

On to 30K mile! It's been good weather after a rainy couple of weeks. Hot enough to get some heat into the tires, but not so hot that it's oppressive to be outside.

T

MDEL, russellmcg and AD211 like this.
  7. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    For what it is worth. My advice on the power warranty. Get a CPO car from a factory dealer and get the warranty on the initial purchase as piece of mind. After the warranty expires and you’ve owned the car long enough to be confident, don’t renew it. Renewing it is expensive. You have to pay between $800-$1000 for it to be checked out before you drop $4500 on the warranty. Then, during the CPO, they’ll get you for tires are too old, or you need a new battery, or engine mounts. That is additional cost. The real cost of renewing the power warranty is probably about $6500 a year, every year. The more likely repairs will be something not covered anyway. Like the top mechanism, a faulty button or switch, electrical, etc…..

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Excellent advice IMO and consistent with our 5-year ownership experience...T

9. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I have a great example. I purchased a 430 Scuderia 16M a little over two years ago. At the time, Ferrari was offering a two for one on the Power warranty. I definitely bought it. It has since expired. My two plus years of ownership have seen two repairs. The first was to remove the Stickies (yuck BTW). That was about $900. The second was last month. The reverse button failed. Of course in the spirit of Ferrari repairs, they could Not replace the button, they don’t offer it separate. I had to purchase the entire plate, including the reverse button and auto button, $4500 plus labor.

tomc likes this.
  10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    MDEL, Cigarzman, JHNurse and 4 others like this.
  11. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Beautiful day in Dallas today Tom (just connecting flights). Surely you are out for a drive?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It has been very nice weather the last few weeks, Andy. The torrid summer weather has broken. Been dry. Cooler. Gonna get rain over next few days, but we need rain.

Indeed. I was out in the F-car today.
    Ford not Ferrari.
    If weather holds off, may sneak out for a drive in the morning.

Hope you've been doing well my friend!

T

NbyNW and AD211 like this.
  13. Mr. Uy

Mr. Uy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Charlie U
    MDEL and AD211 like this.
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great picture. Thank you. Sorry to have missed you! I try to hang near the car for the inevitable "What color is that?" question.

It was a lovely day. Great to be back among car enthusiasts on a splendid day.

T

Mr. Uy likes this.
  15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    MDEL likes this.
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    LARRYH, alex, NYC Fred and 3 others like this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Leisurely cruise today given summer tires and mid 50s temps. Being an avowed numerologist, I had to pull over and snap a pic. All four tire pressures and temps identical. Never noticed that in 5.5 years and 26 K miles!

T

russellmcg and AD211 like this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    From a few weeks ago. You know what this means? Driving the F-car with the missus! 100+ mile jaunt and only two "are you speeding?". A new personal best!
    T

NbyNW, MDEL, AD211 and 1 other person like this.
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Well, not only is the Cali worthless due to excess miles, so is the luggage. I actually used it this weekend.
    Garment bag is actually quite functional!
    T

alex likes this.
  20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Got the car back from annual service from the good folks @ Baordwalk Ferrari.
    Also, took the opp to do some cosmetic (peeling paint on the manifold & intake covers was cleaned/powder coated) & elective (clean buildup on the intake valves) surgery on The Blonde Bombshell.

Car is running great. Weather perefect.
    Have driven it over 200 km to get the old gal some exercise in the past few days. Another mileage milestone.
    T

NbyNW, MDEL, AD211 and 1 other person like this.
  21. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    32,000! Way to go! Up in the chilly Midwest, we've done three rides already. Have to wait about a week for the temps to warm up because we have summer tires on the car. We have about 24,000 on our 2013.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow. 3 rides by end of March. Is that typical?

If I could find AS tires that are high performance, and that fit Cali, I'd put them on.
    But, I think I'd have to buy new wheels as well.

That would buy me about 10 additional degrees F before the missus starts to nag me about driving on summer tires.

T

23. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Personal drives, about an hour each! Still waiting for a group event, although up here they usually don't have any activities before mid April. The weather is too unpredictable. We had a low of 17 last night, and a high of 35 today. Will be warm on Wednesday, but rain! We have a set of winter tires but just decided to wait out the nicer weather this year. It's a little pricey to have them changed out.

tomc likes this.
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    NbyNW and Cigarzman like this.
  25. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I don't know about laws in Texas, but in Illinois your car can be impounded if you're caught going triple digits!:eek: