Out of curiosity...electricians please | FerrariChat

Out of curiosity...electricians please

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by afterburner, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    what is the function of the two coils around a core linking the power supplies to the brushes of the Mondial interior fan motor?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    looks like a transformer to me. current in the coils creates a magnetic field. Different numbers of windings on each side, multiply/divide the voltage. It is possible the 12V from the battery is multiplied up to run the motor?

3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Its a choke designed to reduce electrical noise from being fed back into the cars wiring.

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thanks Bruce, I thought a transformer would need two adjacent differently wound coils to transform. This is one wound wire around one core leading from the connector to the brush, each side.

Thanks Andy: That sounds right. I didn't know that, thanks for your explanation.

Search on Wikipedia:
    A choke is an inductor used to block higher-frequency AC, while passing lower-frequency DC.
    A choke usually consists of a coil of insulated wire often wound on a magnetic core.