Out of line 308/328 | FerrariChat

Out of line 308/328

Discussion in '308/328' started by piezo, Sep 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Looks like LHD wiper set-up so implicitly an RHD conversion....

3. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    US Mirrors on a UK car ?

4. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Much more obvious is the centre console. Gear stick is on the wrong side. Oh dear.

5. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Not fully done conversion to RHD... Seems only the steering wheel, dash and pedals were moved. You need the passenger to help you with the other accessories.

6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Noticed that one too.

One of the other interior pics (from what is now the passenger side) shows the tell-tale metal brush-plate on the center console right where the accelerator used to reside.

I'd be super curious to have a look under the front end of this beast. If they cut costs on the interior details, I'd be scared on what may lurk underneath!

The phrase "steer clear" (literally and figuratively) comes to mind!

Cheers!

Ruben

7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Can't help thinking we've seen this car before. A couple of years ago perhaps. Back then there were a lot of things that did not add up.

8. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #8 piezo, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  9. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well spotted Steven, same car

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The registration plate only cost £1395 according to this site: https://www.regtransfers.co.uk/search/searchresults/oia+308/0.

According to the information in the advertisement:

"THIS 308 GTS IN RIGHT HAND DRIVE FORMAT WAS ORIGINALLY SUPPLIED TO SWITZERLAND AND RETURNED TO THE UK IN 1999 WHERE IT HAS REMAINED EVER SINCE .

A STUNNING EXAMPLE THAT IS VIRTUALLY UNMARKED AND HAS BEEN VERY WELL MAINTAINED AND CARED FOR .

WE HAVE A HUGE HISTORY FILE WITH LOTS OF RECEIPTS /SERVICE DETAILS /COUNTLESS MOTS .

IT WAS CONVERTED TO MPH IN 2009 THEN AT A KPH MILEAGE OF 58407 [36292 MILES ] NOW COVERED 18000 MILES THUS A TOTAL OF 54000 MILES FROM NEW .

THE VEHICLE HAS HAD A VERY RECENT INTERIOR REFURBISHMENT AND NOW PRESENTING IN LIKE NEW CONDITION .

THE ALLOYS ARE UNMARKED
    THE BODYWORK IS IN FANTASRIC ORDER WITH NO VISIBLE MARKS .

THIS REALLY IS A FANTASTIC LOW OWNERSHIP LOW MILEAGE GENUINE RIGHT HAND DRIVE 308 GTS

CHASSIS NUMBER ZFFHA02B000035057 . ENGINE NUMBER F106B00114 MANAFACTURED 1981 .

FAR TO MUCH HISTORY IN THE BOX FILE TO ITEMISE HOWEVER DETAILING RECENT WORKS ."

As the car is not a genuine RHD car as advertised, I have sent the vendor the following email:

"In regards to the 308 GTSi you have for sale: You state that the car is a genuine right hand drive car, but the 8th digit in the VIN number ("B") states that it is a European specification left hand drive car. If it were a genuine RHD car then the 8th digit would be a "C". In addition to that, the windscreen wipers are in left hand drive configuration, and the centre console is that of a left hand drive car.

Based on the VIN number, the history of the car (being from Switzerland), and the various LHD details, this car is not an original RHD car as you state, but is actually a LHD car that has had a RHD conversion carried out at some time.

I only bring this to your attention as it could have legal ramifications for false advertising should an unsuspecting buyer later discover that the car is not as advertised."

It will be interesting to see what their response will be!

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    badly redone interior if you are wanting "correct" for 81.

Those door panels look like crap even for the carbed version they look like they were copied from.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

He never stated it was an original RHD car. He stated it was originally a Swiss car. Quite a different claim. Incorrect as well but the difference in that error is minor.

13. RED HEAD

RED HEAD Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    H
  14. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I think that was a different car, from memory it was a LHD front welded to a RHD rear, so the engine cover release was on the passenger side and the front bonnet release was on the drivers side.

This one is clearly all LHD, both release handles are on the left hand side of the car.

15. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    After all, do you think the price tag is reasonable for this current car at £90k? It's on par with real RHD ones.

16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    You need to re-read the advertisement:

"THIS REALLY IS A FANTASTIC LOW OWNERSHIP LOW MILEAGE GENUINE RIGHT HAND DRIVE 308 GTS "

That gives the impression that it is supposedly a genuine RHD car to Me!

(They could try to argue that the "GENUINE" part refers to the low mileage, but to anyone who reads English properly, it implies that the car is a genuine RHD car).

They also state at the top of the advert:

"FERRARI 308 GTS RIGHT HAND DRIVE ONLY 184 RIGHT HAND DRIVE VEHICLES BUILT STUNNING VEHICLE HUGE HISTORY FILE A SIMPLY LOVERLY APPRECIATING CLASSIC"

Along with:

"RIGHT HAND DRIVE MODELS ARE VERY RARE AND THERE WAS ONLY 184 BUILT ."

Which also gives the impression that this is one of the 184 RHD cars built!

(Again, they could claim that they are just stating how many RHD cars were made and are not claiming this to be one of them, but it's another example of dubious advertising that could result someone buying a car that is not what they have been led to believe it is!)

17. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The error is that there were clearly 185 RHD built, just with the verb build having multiple meanings :D

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    "THIS 308 GTS IN RIGHT HAND DRIVE FORMAT WAS ORIGINALLY SUPPLIED TO SWITZERLAND AND RETURNED TO THE UK IN 1999 WHERE IT HAS REMAINED EVER SINCE ."

Don't know what to tell you. It is your post. Says nothing about "Genuine". If you are quoting him incorrectly maybe give us better information?

19. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Delivey to mainland Europe does not necessarily imply RHD or LHD. I have had LHD cars delivered through UK dealerships and RHD cars supplied by Dutch and Danish dealerships. So while it probably implies LHD originally but not guarantee it but that is really not the issue with this ad.

The ad is deliberatly disingenuous. Use of the word "RETURNED" in the quote is deliberately trying to make you think the car was in the UK before and/or belonged in the UK. The correct pharse should be "IMPORTED". It cannot return if it was not there originally.

The phrase in the ad "THIS REALLY IS A FANTASTIC LOW OWNERSHIP LOW MILEAGE GENUINE RIGHT HAND DRIVE 308 GTS " clearly implies the car is a genuine RHD 308 GTS. There is no other way to interpret that sentence. If it is the miles that are genuine then it should be written GENUINE LOW MILEAGE RIGHT HAND DRIVE...

I don't see how one can argue the ad is not deliberatle misleading.

20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Link to the advert: 1st Choice Cars Ltd :: View Stock

Click on "Description" and read the 8th sentence down (just above the Chassis and engine numbers) - There it clearly states:

"THIS REALLY IS A FANTASTIC LOW OWNERSHIP LOW MILEAGE GENUINE RIGHT HAND DRIVE 308 GTS"

I can't see as how that can be a case of Me quoting the vendor incorrectly when I have cut and pasted that sentence directly from their advertising blurb!

Does that not even slightly suggest to you that they are giving the impression that this is a genuine RHD car?

I'll highlight the relevant part if it helps:

"THIS REALLY IS A FANTASTIC LOW OWNERSHIP LOW MILEAGE GENUINE RIGHT HAND DRIVE 308 GTS"

I appreciate that the clues are there to indicate that the car was originally a LHD car.....:

1) Originally supplied to Switzerland, the speedo conversion from KPH to MPH.
    2) The 8th digit in the Chassis No. being a "B" for LHD instead of a "C" for RHD
    3) The wipers being set for LHD
    4) The centre console being a LHD version
    5) The hood releases being positoned for a LHD version

.....but, whilst the advert mentions RHD some five times (including several "only 184 RHD's made" , there's no mention of the car being a LHD conversion, in fact there's no mention of LHD at all!

To those in the know about 308's, the clues are there - To those not in the know though, and who are highly likely to be bedazzled with seeing their first 308 GTS in the metal, it would be all to easy to believe that based on the advert, this car is an original RHD car.

Sorry, but as I'm reading that advert, it is clearly trying to give the impression that this car is something that it's not - an original RHD car, in the hope of duping a buyer into paying more than they should (in the UK, the value of a LHD car converted to RHD will be less than the value of a genuine, original RHD car [but it's value will be higher than a LHD car - LHD is just not that popular in the UK!] ).

If that's not the case, why does the advert mention RHD 5 times, and makes no direct mention of LHD or a LHD to RHD conversion at all?

21. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Thank you! - I'm glad someone can see where I'm coming from! (Sorry BTW, I posted My response to Rifledriver before seeing your post! :eek: )

The only purpose of My post and email to the vendors was to try to help prevent anyone paying @ £10K more for the car than they should, and to inform the vendor that they are at risk of being sued later on for giving a falsely representing the car in their advertisement should a disgruntled, unknowing buyer later find out the truth about what they have bought.

I think I'll leave it at that now and wait for the: "I think My RHD 308 GTSi might not be a genuine RHD!" thread to appear later on instead! ;)