Over-restoration:Why? | FerrariChat

Over-restoration:Why?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Kalidengas, Dec 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kalidengas

Kalidengas Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    I have seen in the last issue of Forza magazine, an article regarding a Ferrari 400 Superamerica and i have decide to post a thread regarding the restoration of vintage Ferraris. I am not a Ferrari owner, perhaps in a ten years time, my love for Ferrari is pure, is exactly the same that when i was a little boy and in the back of my fathers car i said:"Dad, i can tell the maker of all the cars that pass by us!".My fascination by Ferraris as many reasons, beauty, performance, but above all the legend they carry, the carisma, the myth.I have been in Maranello last September and for me was a very emocional experience, be in the same places that Enzo Ferrari, see in Modena the home in that he was born was really amazing.
    I was not allowed enter the factory, so i have seat myself in front of Ferrari store looking for the famous gate imaging the old days when that gate was used by Enzo Ferrari, and behind the gate... i have imagined so many storys.Is almost like if i was in Camelot, thinking abouth King Arthur and his knights.
    All this words for what?They help to understand my sadness when i see a Ferrari , in my opinion, over-restored.I dont want to be dramatic, after all is just cars but an over-restored Ferrari is not a Ferrari anymore.Doug Nye says in Septemer issue of Octane magazine:"Just remember,if you own a largely original,unspoiled, unmolested classic.any act of restoration is simultaneously an act of destrution.Mere money can always buy mere condition.But surviving originality, once lost or obscured, is destroyd forever".
    That over-restored Ferraris look better that when they have left the factory, maybe in a cold winter morning so typical in that part of Italy.How many Ferrari workers touch and assembled the car?They are so "perfect"...is almost like if you have a Van Gogh landscape painting and take it to the nearest airbrush painter to ask im to give some definition.
    Stop killing vintage Ferraris, and once again i quote Doug Nye:"...later-life restoration are inevitably after-market, and so the car i question experiences progressively dimishing originality.Increasingly it simply evolves into A REPLICA...and to reject this reallity is merely fool ourselves."

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I bought a well preserved 308 GTS. I spent many weeks doing a refresh of the interior. It was perfect. I hated to drive it. Since I travel a lot I sold my daily driver. Now I have a 2 month job local here in LA and I have been having to drive it daily from my house to LAX every day, in rush our traffic. It's been in the rain and pelted with rocks on the freeway. It has food wrappers (remember my old car Carbon?), Mc Donalds cup holders, trash and other stuff. It's dirty and I would not want it any other way now. I love to drive it!

3. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    So just to get this straight in my minds eye. In your opinion no ferrari should be restored? If a ferrari is dying or wearing away it should be left to do so? I well have missed the point of your post but are you saying that no ferrari should be rebuilt, given new life or no engine rebuilt? Just to let it die? Have i got this wrong?

4. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    There is a difference between hyper-over restoration nut and bolt redo's and maintenance to keep a car in running condition and to keep it's appearance. I think he was referring to restoration of cars to above-factory spec's and better then it left the factory

5. Kalidengas

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    Has more Ferrari workers fingertips that the 400 Superamerica, is more Ferrari!

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    ?

7. Kalidengas

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    In my visit to the Galleria Ferrari, there was a 400 Superamerica, the interior as a wonderfull patina even small small craks in the paint, but the condition was very good.

8. Kalidengas

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    My english is not bad but sometimes i dont remember some words...

9. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    So were you saying something nice or bad? LOL!

10. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
  11. Kalidengas

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    Good, your Ferrari has an history, the over-restored ones seems like the guys from the soviet union that erased people from the photos to "clean" the history!LOL!

12. Kalidengas

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
  13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    (getting my .02¢ in so the flames can start......)

First, you must admit that the line between "restored" and "over-restored" is a pretty subjective one......where is that line?

Do I put a $3500 paint job on top of $22,000 in metalwork?
    Should I leave stained/torn/worn carpets, cracked/fadedmissing leather seats after the new paint job?
    Should I just steelwool the shiny bits instead of polish/rechrome?
    Don't reface the instruments after you rebuild the non-working ones?
    Would I really enjoy my Lusso if the engine ran poorly becasuse of not rebuilding the carburetors?
    How much smoke from oil/blowby is acceptable at the concorso?
    Are rusty wirewheels better than rebuilt Borrani's?
    If my complete engine overhaul costs >$25,000, should I not spend $1,000 to clean and repaint the engine compartment as long as the motor is out of the car?

If you are going to do anything to your 'classic' Ferrari or other, should you do it LESS THAN as well as you can, just so you don't 'overdo' it?

It may be that the sin is not to "over-restore" the car.....but to then put it away and not drive it because you don't want to "ruin" it.
    (although, it's not hard to understand how you might feel that way after spending 6 figures on restoring the car, and seeing it in typical urban traffic modes......)

Anyway, many of our classic/older Ferraris have led hard lives; not every owner spent all the time and money they might have to maintain the cars.
    By the time we get them at 30-40 years of use, they have needs!

If someone can clearly define that elusive line between "over-restored" and "a nice restoration", please publish it here; it could save me a huge amount of time and money next time.......

(and FWIW, I think Mr. Nye is pissing upwind!)

Full name:
    James Ferris

14. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I'm with you on this one James. When your older Ferrari has needs from 40 years of abuse and neglect and you are already spending money on the necessary items to make it a functional and reliable car where do you draw the line? You won't tell the painter to leave the sanding marks on the body. You aren't going to put old pitted chrome on a new paint job. When the whole interior is out of the car and all the glass is stored in your garage you are going to replace the weatherstrips and reupholster and recarpet. You will do everything that you can afford to do while the car is disassembled. You are bringing the car back to an as new condition. The factory may not have been as careful but they were selling new cars and had to be fiscally responsible. We don't have to be today because we are doing it for ourselves. We can always justify our actions because we are doing this so we can feel good. An overrestored car will not stay that way forever. It will eventually become a driver again. Just give it time.

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #15 kare, Dec 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm currently taking apart 250 GT 2+2 3197GT, a member-of-the-family-ferrari for past 40 years. It has had its share of bad luck (engine failure, theft and a fire) but 90% of it is still untouched. I don't have a heart to replace things that are little tatty, because that would be just another step further away from originality. Take my chassis plate as an example: it looks awful but it has a story to tell - and what a story! A replacement would tell nothing and then someday the original would not be with the car anymore.

Everything that is dirty or broken will be taken out of the car. I clean things up and reinstall. Broken things are repaired and reinstalled. Things that are incorrect replacements, too far gone or scheduled to be replaced at set intervals as part of routine maintenance, will be replaced. And I can tell that the "too far gone" is pretty far in my scale (I will replace the piece of carpet that has been torn apart with a knife in search of wiring harness, for one - it is a replacement dating from 1967 after all).

As a result I believe I will have a very sympathetic car, a car that just makes people to fall in love. And I can always show people that this is the way Ferrari built cars years and years ago - not how Joe Average down the street rebuilds cars today (I must have his card somewhere)... Instead of showing what we believe is correct for this car, I will be able to show the exact items that were installed into this particular car decades ago. For me there is a significant difference.

Best wishes, Kare
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'm in the "maintain and preserve" not "restore" camp on this. I love patina, but patina on a well running car is better.

Race cars from the 40s-80s should not be polished gems, they never were. Modern F1 cars can be because the teams are very meticulous on the preparation, several years ago this wasn't the case.

My Mondial has never been repainted, you can rub your hand along the bottom of the passenger door and feel where the paint ran a bit. That's how they came from the factory. You can see orange peel in the 308's paint job (that was one lesson I enjoyed giving to Carbon the last time he saw it). If you are going to restore it, be authentic in the work. Tony and Vito didn't hand sand between 15 coats of paint, you shouldn't either.

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Personally I like to see owners do what ever in the hell they want. Leave a car in its original condition, or restore it to better than new condition. It's really up to the ownern to decide. Some owners buy a perfect car and then drive the hell out of it. Some of us buy old original cars, and turn them into garage queens.

18. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #18 kvisser, Dec 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Check out the hammer marks on the front of this Ferrari. No doubt put there by mechanics doing brutal field engineering in a desperate attempt to provide some cooling. Should this car be kept in this condition, to keep original? Or would it look better made all pretty?

regards

Ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    I have seen old pictures of old race cars and yes they are rough. Today everyone makes them show pieces, ala spit and polish which is o.k. as these old cars are brought to a high level and look like they never have. I guess they are icons and can be brought up as an art piece and as an example of the past even if they are glossed up a bit.

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've seen concours judges pass over the all original car with patina (aka wear and tear) and make a bee-line for the hyper over restored Ferrari.

With that kind of influence, no wonder there is a culture move in that direction.

21. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    exactly my point, but you put it better.

22. Kalidengas

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    Seems to me that the pebble beach spirit is very strong, SHINE,POLISH,SHINE,POLISH,SHINE, POLISH...

23. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    You know Kalidengas, after listening to the radio today my stance and view may have changed some what due to a story in that raidio broard cast. You see the story was about an old US fire truck that was up for auction in the US and an English collector goes to America to bid for it in the auction. The fire truck was totaly untouched and original, The paint was not perfect dude to the work that he it had done during fighting fires, and the crome handels were well worn down to the copper underneath due to all the work that the hero fire men had put into it again while saving life and fighting fires ect, ect.
    The English man looses the fire truck in the auction, so leaves empty handed:(
    Anyway the truck comes back up for sale again a few years later,and the English man goes back to veiw the fire truck before he offers a bid to buy it. But the truck was not the same any more due to the paint being a brand new coat ,and the worn crome handels were now re-cromed makeing the whole fire truck as new once again. Thus wiping all the history and all the brave efforts that the fire men had put into saving lives and fighting fires wth the said truck. So the Englishman no longer wanted the fire truck anymore becourse he wanted a fire truck with history, and not this brand new truck.
    So i think i can see what angle Kalidengas is comming from:)

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    In short, the firetruck lost it's soul.

There's a flipside, though, in at least one restoration...

0846 needed to be "over"-restored - (Piper had ****ed it up badly) - in the process, 0846 got it's soul back.

25. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have the hardest time w/ over-restored comp cars - simply because the delta between "how they were" and what you tend to see at the major shows is the biggest. The difference between the fit and finish of the production concours cars and how they came out of the gate at Modena is much smaller.

check out the 196SP Dino currently listed on Bill Noon's site. http://www.symbolicmotors.com/mainpages/carpage.php?cid=1961Fer196sp-0790
    Leave it alone (other than safety items, i.e., only a crazy man would run on 45 year-old Borranis) and run it respectfully. Fangio never crashed a car, why should someone now, when there are no championship points at stake?