Owning former fighter jets | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Owning former fighter jets

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by prohydro, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Omar:

As you know, it ain't the airframe and spares that cost the $$$. It is the certification (administrative b.s.), fuel, the hard to find part (what happens when the part has to be fabricated in a U.S. machine shop), and maintainance that cost the dough. E.Europe is LOADED with everything from cherry Mig-21's - Mig 29's. You can probably buy a cherry Mig 21bis for 20K U.S. dollars. Low time and recent overhaul. Yes the Mig 23 looks cool. Maintainance will probably be a lot higher !!!! Is it the scissor wings that you like ? Cool !! Me thinks you should consider scissor doors !!!! ha ha. You know what I mean !!

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Ok it is final, first buy a house near an airport in Europe, then buy a Mig 21! :) Now which western euro. country is the most 'pleasent' for forgein pilots ownning migs? :D

I should add, foreign pilots of the Islamic faith. :p

3. greenn17h

greenn17h Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    Everett, WA
    Full Name:
    Wesley
    I believe you only need private/insturment to fly a jet warbird, and 500 hrs. for a straight-wing (i.e. L29) 1000 for swept wing. The rules were recently changed. Right now, It's a type rating that's required, just like you need a type rating for a business jet or any other large aircraft. (>12500 lbs I tihnk) Of course insurance will have their own set of requirments. As far as ground crews, you really don't need one, it's just an airplane, it just happens to be a really cool one. It's like saying a ferrari is just a car. I've been flying for 10 years, competed in aerobatic competitions, and have flown jet aircraft, including a provost (older brittish jet trainer).

4. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Depends on the condition. You can get one for a 100K but I would't fly one.
    One of my friends was a Mig-23 pilot, the recce version. I guess for a very good condition example you can get one for 250K. I mean mig21 are fast getting decomissioned by Russia, basically sold for scrap.

You can possibly bribe somebody to sell you a perfectly airworthy late model mig21/23 for 200K (they will simply write it off as unairworthy).

5. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff

You won't buy one for 20K. Maybe just the airframe. Would you buy a 20K Countach? And drive it? As I said. A new ejection seat alone is 30K.

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    From folks I've spoken with, the early Russian jet airframes are very rugged, agriculturally almost. The thing to watch for are very low (by Western norms) engine life times. I'm also told that they were not designed to be overhauled, but simply replaced. So, be sure to get a spare engine or two depending on how much you plan to fly.
    I hear they are terrific in the air. And would ABSOLUTELY agree you need a GREAT ejection seat. Would not buy sight unseen without trying one on. Some I've been in are pretty small inside.

Another interesting trivia bit is that Russian aircraft were designed to use Western ground support equipment using over-run air fields, but Russian equipment can't fit the Western equivalent. Pretty slick.

Of course, the USAF is getting ready to retire all of the T-37s....
    Or I'll see if I can pick up a slightly sandy Mig-23 for you this summer while I'm in Iraq....

best
    rt

7. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Russia is NOT the only country with Mig 21 and 23 airframes lying around unused. Why 200K ? That is rediculous. There are far far more airframes than pilots to use them. I DO understand that a flight worthy U.S. registered example is worth probably around 200K. However buying an X- military version in an E. European country without any Western equipment, is worth nowhere near 200K. These airplanes are just sitting around.

Don't dare buy one from Russia. Tell them to ship the airplane to Finland. No dinero until the airplane is in Finland. - You will get ripped off; if the deal is done without the airplane located outside of Russia.

8. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Omar:

How about a Yakolev 55 ? The Yakolev 55M, XBOX, and a Lamborghini would be far cheaper. Plus you will not have to pay those hi European prices. $7.50 for a gallon of gas / 90 pence for a liter of petrol in the U.K. ? 1.99 pounds for a quarter pounder ? Stay in the cheap USA.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Just curious, but what would a Mig 29 cost? Maybe an early year, but still airworthy.

10. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

It would probably start around 9 mil ? Alot of E. European countries cannot even afford to field that airplane. Also it has very hi maintainance costs. The maintainance is NOTHING like a Mig 15 / Mig 21.

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Ralph is exactly right - the purchase price is just the beginning. You need to be very clear eyed about what you strap on when moving to turbojets with modern systems with respect to fuel burn and upkeep. And depending on where you want to register the jet, the paperwork, requirements and inspections are mind boggling. And don't forget that you need to fly these with the mindset of ready to punch out if something goes poof.
    Unless you do the work yourself, you might be better off to get a pre-moratorium N registered jet already in the US.
    Mig 15= simple is good.
    Don't overlook the Messerschmidt designed Hispano Saeta jet as well - two engines, simple systems, two seats, several already here.
    good luck!
    rt

12. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    There are quite a few for sale. The more popular 2 seater jets are the L29, L39, and the 50s jets, such as the Mig17, 19, F86, etc. All of the 50s era jets are true jets. The L39 is a turbofan. To those of you who don't know the difference, the true jet isn't very good on fuel, while the turbofan is better, but still not very good on fuel.

The FAA requires that you obtain a letter of Authorization to operate the plane. It is somewhat the equvalent of a "type rating" but it contains additional restrictions. Prior to 9/11, there were few geographical restrictions, post 9/11 it became very difficult to use them for transportation. So, if you're thinking about buying one, you want one with a LOA that doesn't have geographic constrictions.

I think you need 1000 hours of air time to obtain the LOA, and there is no requirement that this be in a jet. The L39 is an east block trainer, and doesn't require starting (has internal self starting) the Migs might or might not, depending on the equipment.

These planes are fairly inexpensive to purchase from 50k for a beat up Mig 17 to 500k for a pristine L39. However, the cost of operation is HIGH. For a Mig 17 you can figure about 1k/hour, if nothing breaks, higher for the F86, about that number for the L39.

A T38 is expensive. The last one that I saw for sale was over 5 million. Way out of my price range. I'm still thinking about getting an L39C, but it'll probably have to wait until I get retired.

Art

13. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I understand the problem with the Mig 15/17 is landing the thing. One pilot described it as, walking in a room with a broom stick balanced on the tip of your finger. He said it was that difficult to land. Otherwise the thing is as reliable as heck.

Perhaps you can buck the system and paperwork B.S (LOA requirements etc.) etc....., by registering the damn thing in Mexico or the Bahamas ? I do not have 1000 hrs. This is the only way for me. It could only be used as a toy. - What else are you going to use it for ? I know in Mexico, you will have no problem registering the thing. It is just a matter of taking the local airport manager out to lunch. I know the thing is not efficient down low. However it is only fun on the deck. Imagine the thing on the deck and hot, 200 miles southwest of El Paso / Cuidad Juarez. Sierra Hotel !!!!!!

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Some neat little private tandem jets doing the approval process with FAA right now. Forgot the names, read about it in my flying mags. More moderen and cooler looking than even a T-38.

15. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Registering it in Mexico is a good idea, will save a lot of hasle.
    Have you thought of buying a SU-26 or 32(?) aerobatic plane. Get that to earn your flying hours there great, ended the domination of the Pitts in aerobatic competition, you can install an ejector seat too on those.

(Both are engined piston and radial)

16. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Nikolai, do you know what the propeller plane seen in the first scene of Goldeneye was? I assume it was Russian/Soviet.

17. Kboy007

Kboy007 Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2004
    Allen
    Full Name:
    Mike Verinder
    You have to be from Pakistan... and be willing to use our jets against us with all this "terrorist" crap blows over

18. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Excuse me?

19. Kboy007

Kboy007 Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2004
    Allen
    Full Name:
    Mike Verinder
    what did i studder maybe? no i didnt think so.

20. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Try rephrasing in proper English.

If it is what I think you mean, an explaintion of how you came up with your sophomoric conclusion would be nice.

21. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    I think the prop plane in Goldeneye was some sort of Cessna (I can't remember now.)
    The above mentioned planes are aerobatic planes however. They can withstand 10G's + all day long.

22. MAHOOL

MAHOOL Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    O-town, Florida
    Full Name:
    Mel
    anyone have pics of some of these private Jets, maybe some custom paint jobs.........like some of the MIGS.....

23. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Good call, I just heard from a fellow Fchatter about an individual who owns a MiG-29 Fulcrum in Illinois. Would love to see that.

RocketBoy

24. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Omar,

Did this enter your mind because the movie seems to be playing on cable every day for the past two weeks? Despite how lame it is, I still like the opening chase scene between the DB5 and 355.

RocketBoy