P0421 / P0431 Trouble Codes (Catalytic Converter) ... anyone have good fix? | FerrariChat

P0421 / P0431 Trouble Codes (Catalytic Converter) ... anyone have good fix?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bisel, May 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I recently installed headers and deleted the cats. As expected, I am getting P0421/P0431 trouble codes.

These codes have frequently been reported when changing out the headers / cats. The stock headers have pre-cats in them and when installing headers without these pre-cats one may get a trouble code (check engine light).

Deleting the cats is an obvious mod that may result in these trouble codes. I have attempted to ameliorate this symptom by installed Fabspeed's O2 extender that includes a mini-cat ... but this has not worked in my case. Even if one were to change the stock cats out for aftermarket high flow cats, you may even generate these codes.

Here is what I have found about these codes ... The rear O2 sensors do not generate any signal until they reach a temperature of around 350 deg F or so. Once they reach that temperature, they will generate a signal and the ECU is looking to determine there is a difference in the voltage between the front and rear O2 sensor. I probably have over simplified the technology, but that not withstanding, the ECU is looking for patterns and differences to determine if the cats are up to temperature within time constraints and that the cats are operating correctly. The P0421/P0431 codes specifically state that the "Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency is below threshold". I interpret this as the ECU has detected that the cats are not hot enough withing the time period it was expecting.

I have seen several people suggesting an ECU tune to have the ECU ignore those codes, but before I go that route, I would like to hear if others have tried the method of installing O2 extenders on the rear O2 sensor. What results were you able to achieve? What is the configuration of the extender ... e.g., 90 deg bend, 45 deg bend, how far extended. Also, did you do this with after market cats or with no cats at all.

Thanks for any feedback ...

Steve

2. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Steve, I had the same problem on my 360. I tried some extenders but all they did was more randomly generate those codes. I finally installed Fabspeed minicats (they mount with a 90 angle connector) and all my problems went away. It's been over a year now with no CEL's. I've driven about 4000 miles with the minicats. Just as a note, a friend in Denver had his ECU's reflashed and ended up where the Ferrari diagnostic software could no longer read the ECU's. The minicats are about $125 the ECU's reflashed was over $1000.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

3. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    O2 Simulator, mini catalytic Converter cel fix

^Contact them. Tell them you have an F430 with cat delete. They have a specific version they use for that application.

If you'd like to do a tune, we're here in the valley near you (Gilbert) and can handle the tune for you here. The tune will not only resolve the CEL, but will also gain power. If interested, feel free to shoot me a PM or an email. Happy to assist.

-James

4. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I have the Fabspeed mini-cats with 90 degree angle connector, but am getting the codes. How did you orient the mini-cats? That is, in respect to the front car is 0 degrees and the rear of the car is 180 degrees, what angle are your mini-cats pointing toward.

Steve

5. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    The mini cats are pointed to the front of the car. 0 degrees.

6. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Thanks. Mine are pointing that way too. I am guessing it may be down to the calibration of the O2 sensors with the ECU. If it continues to throw the codes, I was going to try different spacers on the O2 sensors. There is also another mini-cat vendor out there as well that Vivid Racing posted a couple of posts back. Might give them a try as their construction is a bit different than Fabspeed's.

Steve

7. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Steve, just a note. When I installed my Ferrari CS exhaust, I also installed the ECU's and o2 sensors that came in the Ferrari kit. They were a different part number than the factory o2 sensors. I don't know if that made a difference.

8. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    When I got my racing exhaust, it came with two ECUs, but they were for the Euro Challenge cars. Incorrect part ... was not even for the US spec Challenge Stradale. I found this out after installing them and getting several trouble codes. As I recall things like fuel trims and what not. The kit did not include any O2 sensors. I complained to Ferrari about the ECUs and they acknowledged the error and they re-flashed them for me.

Steve

9. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    The Ferrari dealer also flashed my ECU's for me with my VIN. I'll find out what the part number for the new o2 sensors are and IM you.

10. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    In the time since I lasted posted in this thread, I re-installed the cats. I found the cat-delete pipes were just too loud for me. So, my configuration is Fabspeed headers to the stock cats. But I am still getting random P0421 / P0431 codes indicating Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold. The only thing I can think of is that the Fabspeed headers do not have pre-cats as do the stock headers.

I am at the point of thinking one of these three conditions ...
    1. I might have O2 sensors that are marginal.
    2. The catalytic converter(s) could be marginal ... but the codes P0421 / P0431 are random (one of left bank and one for right) ... seems unlikely both cats could be marginal ... but I have seen stranger things.
    3. The elimination of the pre-cats in the stock header is throwing off the two inline O2 sensors in each exhaust side.
    I am ordering a pair of Big Daddies Mini cats and hoping that fixes the problem.
    http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

Wondering if anyone else experienced this.

Steve

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Steve,

I recently installed Agency Power Headers (no built in precats), Kline Innovation exhaust with stock cats.
    I get no check engine light or any fault codes.

I dont know if that helps you but I just thought I'd share my exhaust configuration and that I get no CEL.

Dan

cavlino likes this.
  12. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hi Dan,

Your experience reinforces my belief that merely eliminating the pre-cats is not the problem. If the mini cats do not resolve the issue, I will probably replace the O2 sensors. Keeping my fingers crossed that the cats themselves are not going south.

Steve

13. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Same thing happened to me when I installed Fabspeed headers
    I fixed it by installing Fabspeed mini cat extenders AND (this is a bIg AND) disconnecting the battery switch for 24 hours or something like that
    Maybe sounds overkill but disconnecting the switch for like 30 mins or so resulted in the codes again.
    (And I tried several times(
    My last resort before taking a new route was disconnecting the computer for a whole day and the codes never returned.
    Give it a try when you install your Mini cats (Fabspeed or big daddies)
    I used that setup for several months code free until I installed high flow cats and still no codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  14. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Every car is different and some get codes after headers change and some don’t. Try the mini cats route AND kill the battery for a LONG time.

15. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Just wondering if the guys getting the codes have their headers wrapped (or blankets)or not. I have also had some luck in the past with packing steel wool into the o2 extender .

16. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    My headers were wrapped in heat blankets since day 1 and still codes.

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My Agency Power headers are wrapped. No CEL since day 1.

By the way mine is an F430 if that makes a difference.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K P likes this.
  18. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    My headers are wrapped as well. On a 360.

I am going to go the mini cat route and killing the battery power overnight is easy enough to do. No harm in that. If I continue getting those codes I will get new O2 sensors.

Steve

whatheheck likes this.
  19. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Same problem here Bisel. I installed new O2 sensors and that did not correct. I have a euro so no pre cats. My next change is going to be Cats as I suspect they’re the issue, or just flash the ECU.

20. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I got a couple of mini cats heading my way to install. I’ll be trying those first. I surely hope it is not the cats. Those bad boys are costly.

Steve

whatheheck likes this.
  21. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    my first 430 had a header leak that resulted in a blown engine. I was anxious to prevent that on my present 430 spider. I went AP headers and fabspeed high flow cats. Got the check engine light. tried O2 extenders which didnt work. I had the ECU reflash by Fabspeed which cured the CEL BUT the car would no longer pass emissions testing in MA because the reflash just turns off the monitors and the computer shows not ready so the car wont pass. Sent the ECU back to Fabspeed to turn the monitors back on and put the mini cats on. This resulted in lots of issues with the car CEL for running rich. Sent the ECU back to Fabspeed to return to factory tune. This didnt fix the problem. Car continued to run rich and had the catalyst CEL come on. Fabspeed continued to say it wasnt the tune. I took the car to an independent shop who sent the ECU for a complete reflash and tune. Kept the headers and put back the stock cats with the new tune. So far so good

whatheheck likes this.
  22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm now getting a CEL in my 360 with stock headers (low mile replacements for the originals), stock cats, and a CS exhaust. Mechanic reported the usual out of range/not up to temp codes. I have decided to go aftermarket with the headers, because waiting for the pre-cat disaster to happen - a when, not if thing - is simply unacceptable. The problem is, this is not a solution, as the codes will doubtless come back.

Who among you has aftermarket headers, stock cats, a CS exhaust, and no CEL? Or, alternately, aftermarket headers and cats, a CS exhaust, and no CEL?

23. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    That is quite the story. I feel badly that had to go though all that.

In my case, I started by replacing the headers and added cat delete pipes. I also installed the Fabspeed mini cats. But I started getting CELs and I didn’t like the excess sound level without the cats. So I put the stock cats back on without the mini cats. Car was running fine for a bit with no CEL so sold the Fabspeed mini cats. Now the CEL is coming back. Right now the only configuration difference from stock is the Fabspeed headers that do not have pre-cats.

I ordered some mini cats from Big Daddies Garage and hope the takes care of the CEL. I do not want to go the route of reflashing the ECUs for reasons you noted. If the mini cats don’t resolve the problem, likely put new O2 sensors on.

Steve

24. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    My configuration is Fabspeed headers, stock cats, CS exhaust. Of course you know I am getting CEL but I will keep you advised on progress.

Steve

G. Pepper likes this.