P1 Market crashing? | FerrariChat

P1 Market crashing?

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by FerrariF50lover, Mar 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Two cars have sold in the 1.x range recently. The car at Amelia this weekend sold for 1.7 including premium. This seems a little concerning for dealerships asking almost double that for cars.

2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Coming out of warranty. No reason to pay for the slight increase in performance over the 720S. That’d be my thought.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It's a V8 TT with carbon tub. As said above, the similar layout 720S is almost just as fast. The P1 is not really that unique in their lineup of cars unlike the 918 and LaF.

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    All these cars fluctuate. This could be an opportunity for someone to add to their collection at a discount. The 918 and LaFerrari are no different.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Seriously -- what is so special about the P1 other than it was expensive to buy and a limited production?

Lots of fast cars out there. It lacks some kind of magic that would make it unique. Styling? No. Speed? No. Technology? No. Racing pedigree? No. Engine? No.

It's an outstanding machine but I don't see why this is so unique to be considered a collector piece given that Mac is already working on its replacement.

And I agree these hyper cars get super expensive to maintain.

boxerman and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    You can make the same argument for the LaF and 918. Are you saying that there aren't replacements coming from Porsche and Ferrari? Is this the best they can do? Do you think for a minute when their replacements are released that you wont see these cars hit the market and for less than today? Seriously? The P1 is as unique as the buyer believes it to be, no different than the others. With this said my personal preference would be the 918 if I had to choose.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Actually, I could

What you have today are machines for the uber rich who want them only because they need to show they have a different uber expensive car than someone else.

boxerman, JCR and anunakki like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Too general of a statement, many people actually use and enjoy them.

Manda racing likes this.
  9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Who?

[Crickets]

A lot of people bought these things just to sit around and make money. LaF is no different

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Probably in some cases but as an example the last time I was in London I couldn't believe the cars being driven around. LaF, P1, Bugatti's.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Lots of 918’s with good miles on them. Less P1’s but remember there are 2/3 less P1’s to begin with. LAF was the investment.

12. TnJed

TnJed Karting

Apr 20, 2015
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Eric Griffin
    I know a couple of guys that drive their 918s regularly. One has over 10k miles.

We sold a guy a LaF and it was his first Ferrari. Not a bad way to start.

Jo Sta7 and of2worlds like this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I saw two LaF's in London buzzing around on crappy roads. Beautiful cars.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    no 918 replacement in the works yet.

no LaFa replacement in the works yet.

McLaren has already launched the Senna, and has the 3 seater hypercar well under development.

add to that the 720s basically matching the P1's performance, and the inevitable 720LT (or whatever its going to be called) likely surpassing it, and I'm not surprised P1 prices have softened.

also keep in mind that P1s are still trading at 30-50% over their original MSRP.

Igor Ound likes this.
  15. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    not to mention as awesome as the P1 is, to the average person it looks like basically every other mclaren 570s, 675, mc-12. I dont know why they wouldn't make it a more distinct car. The 918 and LaFerarri look nothing remotely like anything else.

Igor Ound likes this.
  16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow that's awesome. Good for them!

17. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I don't know about ya'll but one of my favorite recent super cars is the P1 GTR (and the P1 LM). The regular P1 is the closest most will come to owning either of those, since there are only 58 GTRs (not road legal), and only 5 P1 LMs.

The P1 LM set a record 6:43 nurburgring lap if I am not mistaken

Sure the P1 isn't all that impressive, but I think it will be highly sought after in the future

18. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    We have in Switzerland four 918 for sale, one of them with the Wissache-Packeg, prices between CHF 1'950'000.- and CHF 1'450'000.-.
    From the P1 are three for sale, two GTR's and a normal P1, prices between CHF 3'299'000.- and CHF 2'500'000.-.
    It seems the 918 plays a level deeper when it comes to resell value, and this also without the pressure of a successor.

19. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    This is not aP1 problem , returning from Amelia and Hershey in the fall, people are realizing that this 100 year old journey is coming to an end.
    ENJOY YOUR GASOLINE ENGINES AS I AM , but I spent the entire weekend with EVERYONE in the car business, in 15 years there will be NO petrol autos sold to the general public.
    Fact not fiction, anyone here sell bias ply tires?
    I love my 720s and yes its the pinnacle ,this is the golden age of the automobile as we knew it.
    AS ive said in the past , the combustion engine will be a rich mans toy like a polo pony,then in another 100 will be extinct.
    I'm just having fun and enjoying it but again, the youth DONT CARE and more importantly DONT WORK.
    Amelia was great but the average age was 78 years young, in ten years how many of todays 78 year olds will be here?
    The auctions have been a blood bath as its just about to really tank,I don't care,I buy a car because I want it, not because its a blue chip.
    Even Italy is banning cars in towns.BUT you can smoke non filtered ***s.........
    Hey for 2,000 years a car was just a blip on the map, I want a white horse like the lone ranger when this is all over....
    GTJOEY AND AWAY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

20. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I couldn't imagine a 78 year old driving a P1, thats a scary thought... I'm sure there's a few out there but its not an easy car to drive fast

21. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Battery technology has to evolve ALOT for starters. Secondly there isn't enough lithium,cobalt, etc for us to all have electric cars. So yes electric is less maintenance in theory but we're a long long way from not having gas engines.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't understand the P1 LM. Is it a moneygrab? It's an hommage to an hommage...very strange. The 911 GT2 RS is just about as quick around the ring...that time will be gone soon as well and probably by the Senna.

Mbutner likes this.
  23. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Its coming my friend......The mission E Porsche will be out very soon with a zero to 60 under 3 seconds and a top speed of 156 with a range of 300 miles with a 15 minute charge with a regular plug outlet!
    They are doing the ultimate test right now.
    Its called the SNOW BIRDTEST!
    New York to Florida with only one stop at Cracker Barrell, plug the car in the wall for 15minutes then another 600 miles to West Palm Beach!
    I'm not kidding , thats coming in two years.
    AAAAND THATS THE END OF THE GASOLINE ENGINE.
    P.S.the car will be 86 grand all in.
    So just imagine econo cars?
    Enjoy your old gasoline like I am, then buy a battery suv for daily driving!
    Enjoy
    GTJOEY1314

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    First off, it's not 300 miles in 15 minutes, it's 250 miles. More importantly, it's not a "regular plug outlet," it's an 800 volt charging station. And that 800v charging station technology doesn't even exist yet.

Mbutner and davidoloan like this.
  25. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    And driverless will kill off general purpose vehicles...

SV