P1578 & P1579?? | FerrariChat

P1578 & P1579??

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Gated V12, Jan 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gated V12

Gated V12 Rookie

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Hey guys, I have a 1997 456 GT and I’m hoping someone can help me out a bit. I have P1578 and P1579 codes appear every now and then that throws a CEL and have no idea what those codes’ descriptions are. I’ve tried looking at the 360 code list and the 430 code list that others have posted here, hoping it would list either of these codes but no luck.
    The car runs perfectly and I’m not getting any other codes either. No misfires or anything so nothing else to go off of. Anyone out there know what the Ferrari specific P1578 and or P1579 are?? I really appreciate any help!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Does not match up with 575M P Codes, but with 5.2 vs 7.1.1, not a surprise. If somebody has a list of 550 P Codes, also 5.2, might be some commonality.

Gated V12 likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The 5.2 codes are not available, Taz... That's why we use the 360 codes. There are some variations, but they seem to be mostly right. The 2.7 code list is very limited and doesn't have these two codes.

The only faults with the first 3 digits (P157x) seem to be related to the immobiliser.

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Due to it's "Limited Production" status until 2001 Ferrari was not legally required to provide manufacturer specific codes before 2001 so they did not.

This means any code other that P 0 xxx are not supported.

Ferrari have done everything in it's power to prevent independents or owners from working on their cars by making it difficult if not impossible to properly diagnose a problem without an SD tool.

Note the recent act by Ferrari's legal dept. forcing independent parts suppliers to delete the parts diagrams from their websites and by Ferrari not supplying a ground wire to the OBD2 port so generic OBD2 readers could access the ECU. This was corrected only by federal legal action forcing Ferrari to do a recall.

Gated V12 and Qavion like this.
  5. Gated V12

Gated V12 Rookie

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks guys! I saw that the P157x codes are mostly related to the immobiliser and that hasn't been acting up at all.

6. Gated V12

Gated V12 Rookie

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Very interesting! Thanks for the info, Dave. It's a bit of a shame since I love working on my own cars (the 456 included). No rush since I don't see any performance issues related to these codes so I'm sure I figure it out eventually. :)

Qavion likes this.