P51D Mustangs collision Accident Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show 23sep17 409p & C47 & B | FerrariChat

P51D Mustangs collision Accident Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show 23sep17 409p & C47 & B

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by jgonzalesm6, Sep 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    At 10:38 (for those that wish to fast forward) for setup of the contact...mayday call at 11:42 over traffic radio......Then the silver P-51 lands safely with some left elevator damage at 11:57 thru 12:15.

video is 13min 01sec long.

P51D Mustangs collision Accident Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show 23sep17 409p & C47 & B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M29tkXQOAq8

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Lucky break for those 2.

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yup....the silver one has the livery of the "Blue Nosed Bastards" 352nd fighter group.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Amateurs flying formation is really scary. Especially with something that has a lot of blind spots. My father had a mid-air in a P-51D in the late 40s while flying out of Williams in AZ. Ex-bomber jock came up underneath him in his blind spot forward and below and Dad's prop cut off the other P-51D's tail. Dad landed his aircraft and the other guy ended up picking a lot of cactus spines out of his rear end after a silk let-down. Dad told me about it after my RAF Flying Review had an article by the pilot who bailed out. Dad said the other guy's version of the story was complete BS and did not match up with the official accident report or eye witness testimony.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    From my limited knowledge of this maneuver, fighter pitchout, you should count the time after the previous airplane for your pitch up, then keep him in sight so that you can maintain the interval that you must keep to set up the space for landing. The Sky Raider pilot for some reason tightened his roll and climb and lost visual contact with the preceding airplane by keeping him in his blind spot. I saw this pitch out maneuver many times and the only incident that I witnessed was the guy that tried to pull better wing tip streamers than anybody and went into a fatal high speed stall. You are correct, Taz, formation flying is wonderful but it is not done by amateurs. You must adhere to strict rules, follow them, and have a set plan, if possible, before flight. I have been in some scary situations when a pilot decided to fly formation with me without preflighting a plan and obviously didn't know how or what to do.

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will