P90X | Page 3 | FerrariChat

P90X

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by SefacHotRodder, Apr 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #51 nthfinity, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    haha, first one there... congratulates the other :p Fantastic!

I'm not quite as advanced as you are yet, other than being younger (27 in 2 weeks). I've got a lot of weight to lose yet, even with 63 lbs shaved off since Febuary 1st-ish of this year). My original aim was 190 lbs, but TBH, I'm not sure a number really matters as much as how I feel and look, as well as attaining the goal.

I can do just a couple of handstand pushups; but they aren't deep yet. I just found out last night I can do 5 one armed push ups. I'm doing other push ups similar to what your doing with my hands closer to the hips, but with a slightly arced core, and my legs raised about 1.5 feet. 2 weeks ago I could manage only 11, now I'm up to 14... also, for a 1st set, I can probably kick out about 40 push ups... 30 are "easy," the rest...

The last two weeks have had the first real progress I've made in months... but also the first time I've really altered my workout since March.

I'm not yet doing anything major for my back, but I have a few ideas, and want to build a few pieces of equipment to aid me in strengthening my back.

I'm not consistent yet with the handstand holds, but sometimes I've lasted 5 or 6 seconds. I can bend from standing into a bridge, and get up on my legs from a bridge again; and I'm definitely stretching a lot more. Not anywhere near where I want; but for a full second or two, I can now hold my legs forward off the ground + the rest of my body on the floor. (I forget that position's name).

For the most part, I'm not concerned with absolute muscle size, and max weight lifts as much as being able to physically move myself like never before.

http://www.youtube.com/user/geoffcraft
    Check out this guys videos, and some of his movements/ exercises are exactly what I want to build apertatus for.

2. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    WOW!!!!
    Just saw the video...very inspiring. And I love how he breaks it down into a simple progression of skills. Very helpful, thanks.

I think the position you are referring to is called a planche, but not sure. Good luck. I am doing the P90x abs today, plus I am going to practice some of the stuff in that video, plus I am going to bike 50 miles or so. No soccer today, thank god.

3. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I was thinking about ordering this, but now I think I am going to. After I get it and complete the program I'll let you guys know how it went.

4. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
  5. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    So what do you guys think?

6. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    1st week into p90x, and on the worksheet (keeping track of reps/ weight) I've shown significant improvement on the 1st workout. I think I'll be going at a rate of p100x +- as sometimes I'm out of town and unable to do a proper workout.

Some things I'm noticing is
    1. I'm going to have to get more free weight dumbells. Prior to starting, I added 2x 25 lb; and I think I'll have to get 2x 35, and 1x 50 or 60 before I'm through with the system. I already have 2x 10 lb.

2. I am a little low on space, but can still get all the workouts done.

3. I could add a significant amount of reps to the 1st workout... 243 total push ups vs. 226. I suffered at the end for adding so many (til failure for many of the sets); so my final set was down by 3. Of each set, only one set declined in reps. I had a total today of 87 vs. 61 my first attempt for pull up/ chin up combinations.

I'm still not at full speed playing the dvd + working out... but that will come with time. I'll try harder for week 3 I think.

If chest back kicked my ass hard last week, plyometrics did it worse. In some ways, I'm looking forward to it... but not in others.

P.S. My ab workout is harder than theirs, with the exception of obliques... ouch, that hurts!

7. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    What's your ab workout? I have decent abs...unless I do 200+ situps they don't get sore. The only exercise I feel is the bicycle crunch. I like to do leg raises/inverted crunches while hanging from a bar as well. I can only do about 25 at a time, and I definitely feel those the next day.

8. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    210 situps in 3 sets
    40 regular paced followed by 30 "fast"
    85 leg raises from hanging from a bar preceding the situps (also in 3 sets with the final set being 15) . Some rest between sets; works well in the middle of a p90x workout.

9. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm starting the program tomorrow. Pray for me.

10. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Whats wrong with tonight? lol! The program is good, and offers varied moves for somewhere above beginner, intermediate, and advanced difficulties for many of the exercises.

I can say that a little over a month (technically speaking) I'm definitely the strongest I've ever been :)

11. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Funny you should ask, we went to get some frozen custard tonight for a last indulgence before we begin the program.

12. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    have you done any current "before" pictures? This w/e in "before and after" I'll put an update in there for mine. The program is pretty straight forward, but if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer what I can.

Also, I'd recommend using free weights as opposed to the bands.

13. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll do my before pictures tomorrow as well. The only free weights I have are 20 pounders so I hope that will be enough.
    I just looked through the before and after thread and your results are impressive, I absolutely loved your regression analysis.

14. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    depending on your level.

IMO, you need 2x 10 lb, 2x 20 (or 25) and one 40-50... However, the 2x10 is absolutely necessary to what you have. The 20's just will be too much for some of the exercises like tricep kick-backs, and shoulder fly's.

Also, be prepared to press pause... a lot. That is ok... just complete each video ;) When you get to the free weights (day 3) the 20's will be enough to work you, but press pause so you can work it til you feel the burn... I fell in that same issue, and was doing a couple exercises to 35-40 reps. your goal should be either 8-10, or 12-15 or something :p

I'm def. not a perfect ~student~ but I'm well motivated in general.

My issue with the bands is that they aren't continuous resistance. Free weights are infinite resistance, and easier to keep good form. They will work, but I'll pass.

15. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    I just started round 2 of P90x this week and am already noticing great gains. Yes, I slacked for a few months after completing round 1, so that would be my warning to all... don't slack or take time off! Start it up again right after! I figure it will be 30 days before I'm at my day 90 physique.

I noticed some people had some questions on what weights to use. I purchased Powerblocks 5.0, which are free weights that range from 5lbs to 50lbs all in one unit. It hurts the pocket to purchase them outright, but the little space they occupy along with the quick changing for the different exercises, not to mention the price of regular weights adds up... you'll be happy you got them!

As a female and depending on the exercise, my weights range from 10lbs to 40lbs, so a good range is necessary as you progress. Also, pull up bars can be purchased anywhere. I found mine in Walmart for $20, but have seen them in Target, and even Walgreens for $30.

Wish me luck on round 2... :)

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    For those worried about having to buy many size of weights, buy an olympic set for dumbbells. 1" plates are pretty cheap. Each bar weighs 2.5lbs and I bought 50lbs for each side, which was like 50 cent per pound from Dick's Sporting Goods. Pretty cheap...

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Do you have to follow any kind of P90 diet ? I have the program but not too sure about following the diet. i dont eat bad, usually chicken or salmon salad and a juice.

18. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The diet isn't a must, I've only made slight changes to my diet since starting the program. I have also been traveling constantly so it is a little difficult for me to stick to a strict diet plan.

As far as dumbbells are concerned, I ended up buying a pair of adjustable golds gym weights that go from 5 to 25 pounds. They work great for traveling.

19. Frips_Girl

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    I highly recommend following the diet, at least for the very first round. You would be amazed to find out how certain foods that you think are healthy for you, really aren't that great for you. Plus it shows what portion sizes you should be eating. The P90x diet is actually quite good, but if you cannot follow the actual recipe guide as it is quite strict and does require a lot of cooking, you can follow the portion guide. Both of these are in your P90x Nutrition Guide Book.

I followed the exact recipe diet for round 1, and yes the first week was hard, but definitely worth it. The second time around, I'm using it as a base referral.

Working out is only 50% of getting fit. Putting in the right fuel is the other 50%, so better not to slack here.

20. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It depends on the person and the goals. I used to be a competitive body builder, so I did watch my diet a bit more.

Now that I am training BJJ, I don't worry quite as much. I've been blessed with a fast metabolism, and at 41, I could probably do another body building competition without much prep (my last competition was about 20 years ago).

If you gain weight fast, or tend to retain water (or even a high amount of subcutaneous fat), then the diet is going to be the difference between looking ok to looking great.

FWIW

21. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    10,000 posts!! You ever think of becoming a member?

22. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    A young guy deciding if he needs a few cycles of 'roids like the older guy did to get the results.

23. Frips_Girl

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    Very true. It does depend on your overall goals, but I will say that for someone who is just getting into it and doesn't have much knowledge or experience, following the program can be quite useful... at least for the first round. :)