Paint Coating For Easy Cleaning. | FerrariChat

Paint Coating For Easy Cleaning.

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Redneck Slim, Aug 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I have a Ferrari coming that I plan to drive in the wet. Is there a wax-type product that will make the car easy to hose clean? Something very slippery and long-lasting? Any ideas?

2. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    A ceramic coating is your best bet. A wax just isn't going to last long. I used to prep my cars by applying Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant and then topping with a good carnuba wax. Even though this is really a slick combo, it doesn't even come close to the hydrophobic properties of a paint coating like Kamikaze Miyabi Coat. If you are afraid of the paint coatings, then you could use the maintenance coatings such as Kamikaze Overcoat or Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz. Both are easy to apply, will add gloss but may only last a month or so depending on how much you drive.

Keep in mind that nothing is going to keep your car perfectly clean if you only intend to hose it down. Eventually you are going to have to wash it with soap. Soap is a carrier and helps to "float" the dirt away and straight water isn't going to cut it. My .02

3. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yep ceramic coating is what you need. Serves the same purpose as wax but lasts a few years instead of a few months.

4. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Looks like ceramic. Thanks,guys.

5. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    I used Wolfgang Uber ceramic coating on my car. It like this product because it is easy to apply.

6. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    CROFTGATE USA product has allowed light rains to rinse highway trip bug splatter, bird droppings and tree sap off my car. Easily applied, a small amount goes along way. I mostly use Aquanil-x and Quick-n-Slick. The latter works great on glass as well.
    https://croftgateusa.com/

7. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    If you do not want to go Ceramic Coating (looks slightly different vs wax)
    I've used Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant on Several Cars.
    Need to apply maybe once a year & everyone always asks what I use cause the cars always look so clean and shiny, even when I've not washed in a few weeks & encountered some rain.
    I like waxing so input Wolfgang Fuzion over top of that.

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thats all crap. ceramic doesnt last years, not even close and if you leave the car outside for a few months you wont be able to tell it has ceramic....if you garage it people say it's easier to clean. i had 2 ferraris and suv ceramic coated professionally and ill never put ceramic on paint again. ive moved from no effing way to 51/49 about putting ceramic on ppf but why wld i spent 25oo to protect film that im going to replace every few years?

9. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Does the ceramic coating go over or under the clear bra film? I'm having new film put on next month.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i will never use ceramic again but id put it over the film before i put it on the paint

rocketman likes this.
  11. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Same sentiment here, coming from a self proclaimed and openly accused perfectionist. A local detailer applied Modesta BC08 on my car and meh... It gets fine scratches very easy, more easily than the clear coat. Low shine, zero depth. Won’t do it again, just not worth it for a weekend car that’s garaged.

Its not like it’s impervious to bug spatter or bird bombs either. Still have to very carefully clean it off with a surfactant spray or it will scratch.

I used to use Zaino, but the shine was almost a little much for my preference.

Premium carnuba wax on Rosso Corsa can’t be beat, IMHO. It enhances and compliments the color and adds depth. Even if I have to wax it a couple times a year, it’s still way cheaper than the ceramic coat annual maintenance costs that have to be done at a detailer. Modesta won’t sell the annual maintenance M1 shot to customers. Like we need more maintenance routines...

Yes, water runs off it though. Makes great commercials and infotainment spotlights. The good news is that I’ll be all set if someone dumps a bucket of mud, some chili, or a pint of beef stew on my Ferrari, it’ll simply run off

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ttforcefed and rocketman like this.
  12. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    My current garage has cars with all sorts of combinations of protection. Car with both PPF and ceramic, car with only ceramic, only PPF, and neither.

What I can say is that for any future car I buy, if I care about the finish, I’ll get a PPF with ceramic coating on top. The coated cars are VERY different to clean than the non coated cars. A good example is bugs. For the coated car, usually it’s a single wipe wipe with a light waterless wash solution. For the uncoated car, I usually have to bring out an all purpose cleaner. That’s fine, but APC is strong enough that any sealant or wax will get stripped too, so now I ha e to reapply that.

It’s things like that that make me just wish the latter car was coated. However I just procrastinated way too long and now I’m planning on selling the car so doesn’t make sense to spend $1200 now.

13. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I just finished ceramic coating my whole car, took my time but it was really easy. This car has full front clear bra.

Attached Files:

14. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    The ceramic coatings have flooded the market. There are great ones and there are the ones that have no purpose being called a ceramic. The main thing with ceramics is the installer. Most companies out there now just hand detailers certifications if they have a pulse. The prep is absolute key for a coating to properly last and work. Speak to detailers and ask them questions about their prep work and to explain the coating to you in how it will benefit you with how you drive, store and maintain your car(s). If they can’t then move on. Not everyone benefits from them. For me I can’t see owning a car and not doing full car ppf and coating on top but that works for me and how my cars are taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyeman1234 and LI2782 like this.
  15. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    1000%. Do your research on coating and installer before committing. A quality coating is well worth it, Most of the Chinese junk is not. Additionally the car must be cared for. Most installers don’t offer maintenance service or proper guidance and customers often don’t know how to maintain coated cars. An occasional decontamination is essential, regular maintenance is essential, etc.

MobileJay likes this.
  16. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    GTechniq Crystal Serum ceramic coat on 10 year old F430 paint (28K miles)- no degradation in its properties noted now two years later... Image Unavailable, Please Login

cgt000 and MobileJay like this.