Paint correction prior to PPF? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Paint correction prior to PPF?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Steveinfl, Sep 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pure745

Pure745 Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    You have restored my faith in the detailing world :) The Dawn dish soap had me going pretty good :)

2. Dapuma

Dapuma Rookie

Sep 22, 2021
    Do you use anything, or just live with the potential paint damage. If you are spending the money on an expensive wrap, is that really any better than just repainting if that is what you want? Is that the theory behind not PPFing the car?

3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The paint generally sucks on a new Ferrari . First order of business is color correction then PPF. Ceramic coat on top of the PPF if you so desire. It’s worked out perfectly for me on every new F car I’ve owned all which have been either Nero or Nero Daytona. FWIW , I PPF my entire car which makes it super easy to maintain. Best , Kirk.

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Depends on the car, paint, use case, and owner.

The car will come pre-scratched (and maybe pre-painted after shipping) and the dealer will be happy to add a lot more swirls during 'detailing'. If its a $30k+ three layer and its a weekend keeper then multi-step correction and quality wax only (that $750 correction estimate stated somewhere above wouldn't get you one panel done in my area).

If you are flipping in two years then anything will work as long as you detail and ceramic coat before trade-in. Middle ground is mild correction, PPF front clip only and ceramic coat the whole thing, but personally, would never ceramic coat the paint on a Ferrari.

5. Dapuma

Dapuma Rookie

Sep 22, 2021
    I am leaning toward the F8 and it will be a daily driver, so I am either going to order new (likely) or look for something with higher miles on it since I will drive it often. Trying to figure out what I need to do day 1. I did a clear bra and ceramic coating on my GT-R, the full wrap wasn’t worth it based on the % of the vehicle purchase price. Not so much an issue with F cars, so just trying to figure out what is going to make life easiest. My fear with the full wrap was always it didn’t get put together the same way it was out of the factory. From reading the forums, that doesn’t seem to be an concern for many.