Paint correction suggestion | FerrariChat

Paint correction suggestion

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by iloveferrari, Jul 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Hi, there,
    I think I need to do a paint correction for my Nero FF which is really a pita in order to keep it nice. My titanio 458 looks clean without waking! Lol, but Nero is just different animal.

Any suggestions about paint correction and wrap in LA?

Thanks

2. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    I highly advise you contact Roger of D'elegance Detailing 619-718-0031. He is a master at paint correction and pretty much anything to do with detailing. They can do it all and the best quality at fair pricing. Been going to them for many years. He usually gets booked during the summer months so you may want to contact them ASAP. He isn't LA based, but is also mobile and often times up in LA doing his clients cars and aircraft. He will actually be in LA this weekend working on a friends 458 and doing another fchat members Scuderia.

As for the wrap I typically also get clear bra done on the typical areas where the car sees rock chips. He does vinyl wrap and clear bra as well. He is a installer for all the major brands. Best of luck and if you have any questions let me know.

evo+supra likes this.
  3. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I owned a black car ONCE!!!!! Never again

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

XLNLIFE likes this.
  4. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    I would at least call and talk to George's Detailing in West LA. I've had friends get stuff like I think they're called ceramic and silicone coatings (as well as regular detail service) and they all crow about the work and say the pricing is very reasonable compared to other top-notch firms.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/georges-auto-detailing-los-angeles-2

iloveferrari likes this.
  5. evo+supra

evo+supra Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2010
    +10000000000 D'elegance Detailing is the best with the best customer service. They brought my cars back to life.

6. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    RonH and Testarossa Lover like this.
  7. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    If you haven’t found anyone yet, Rolando at DBR derail is a magician however kind of far in Temecula. My buddy Justin’s 458 looks like glass!

8. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    I just found out that D'elegance Detailing is opening another location around costa mesa if that works better for you. I typically opt for clear bra coverage on the front bumper, front bonnet, side mirrors, front fenders, side rockers, wheel arches, door handle cups.

Before clear bra is applied they prep the surface first then they ceramic coat the clear bra after its applied for additional coverage.

9. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I'll be doing the entire car. Ferrari paint is rubbish

10. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Wow really? Usually most clear bras look like crap after a few years. Then you need to pay for removal and reapplication. I think the cheapest quote I have gotten on a clear bra for an entire car is like 6k. I just personally feel that it isn't the best most cost effective way at protecting and preserving the vehicle. It is a vinyl based product that loses its properties over time. I prefer to protect my vehicles with a product that lasts a lot longer and is able to be reapplied at a much more reasonable cost. Also clear bra warranties do NOT cover wear and tear. But most professional grade ceramic coatings do cover wear and tear. I dunno I guess to each their own. I guess if you plan on only having the car a few years it doesn't matter, and it's the next owners problem.

11. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I don't know if you have had a really bad experience, misinformed, or you just dont see the value, however, PPF technology has come a long way.

I have a friend with 7 F cars all fully wrapped, no peeling, no yellowing, no hazing or bubbles. Property degradation is generally accelerated by two factors, heat and light. I climate controlled garage my cars except for a Sunday drive or occasional evening canyon cruise to blow off steam, so UV and heat are minimal. Having just paid 70k for a respray and makeover, 6k is a cheap investment to protect the flawless job. I'll also be doing the windshield film. It may not be best for you, however, I drive my cars hard and track them so every part of it gets pebbled and chipped. I had chips on my carbon splitter, my roof, even my duck lip spoiler! not to mention the wheel wells and rear carbon splitter. Ceramic is a new technology and half gimick half real. The videos you see where they use a steel brush is great and dandy, however, a rock will still damage the paint, especially at the speeds I drive. I will do a ceramic on top of the PPF, which adds the gloss and adhesive properties which make ceramic so appealing.

In another thread, someone was complaining that $3800 for very high-quality straight pipes was too much and opted to buy a cheap Chinese knockoff to each their own indeed. In my opinion cheapness costs you more but ultimately it's all relative. Some friends of mine have exhaust systems upwards of 20K, some have OEM. Some people spend 600k on a watch and some spend $15, it's all about what you value. For me keeping the paint pristine matters, especially considering how badly I abused her. I do not plan on selling my Scud so I really dont worry about the resale or next owner. I just want to enjoy her and not worry about damage or a random idiot at a car show leaning against it, etc. Good luck with the ceramic, I hope it gives you the results you are looking for.

12. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    I think we are comparing apples to oranges here. The fact that you climate control garage your vehicles and barely get driven is why you haven't seen the degradation I have. I like to drive some of my vehicles, and let me tell you I have had clear bra installed as far back as the early 2000s. The properties of the film begin to degrade rapidly after a couple years of usage. I have used suntek, Xpel, old 3M and new 3M, and nano fusion. They all pretty much degrade about the same rate; except the old 3M that stuff was a nightmare for me. Ceramic coatings on top of the film tend to make them last longer. You are right technology has come a long way especially the adhesives. I typically get about 3-4 yrs now on my films. They start to yellow and haze after awhile. Granted these vehicles see daily driver usage, weekend warrior usage, and sometimes track usage. I think any car that is essentially in a museum probably won't have any signs of degradation regardless what you put on the car.

After you got the car repainted, how long did you wait till you clear bra'd it? Also what brand did you go with?

For me I have had much better experience with ceramic coatings. They are not a gimmick and they perform brilliantly. And the best part about them is you get a legit warranty. All the warranties with clear bra are garbage as they do not cover wear and tear. I get lifetime warranties on ceramic coating applications and if I ever have any issues my installer fixes it at no charge(which I have only had 2 since I have been getting it done back in 2008). Like I said clear bra is great but imho not for the entire vehicle. I would only install it on the areas on the car that would see road debris damage. All the areas you mentioned are essentially what I mentioned to get covered minus the rear splitter, but I agree if you have a rear splitter its a good idea to get it covered as well. I have not gotten a rock chip on my rear spoiler or wings yet. Assuming yours sits lower than the roof line I am not sure how that happened to you. I would say that is a rare occurrence.

As for spending 600k on a watch I am a Breitling kind of a guy, so I do not spend that kind of money on watches but I hope that watch at least tells time properly lol. As for parts I always buy quality because with parts there are major differences in quality. Knockoffs will usually have terrible fitment, materials used are cheap, and effectiveness takes a toll. In the end you always get what you pay for. So far I typically go with Suntek or Xpel for clear bra.

flat_plane_eddie and Sky Hye like this.
  13. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
  14. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Prancinghorse619 likes this.
  15. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    You’re right looking at my friends DD corvette the factory vinyl on the car looks yellow.

I didn’t wait for the car because they oven cured it, some propriety process they have that actually works. Went with suntek.

I can’t see spending 600k on a watch! These guys are nuts, but then again they buy s new car monthly and have multi million dollar HyperCars. Still, I wouldn’t spend that much. Maybe 15k max but that’s pushing it for me.

16. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Seriously! I wish they implemented this years ago. The Scud is such a cool car too! I really love how its built for a purpose as well as all the cf goodies it comes with.

Yea and factory PPF is usually cheap crap to begin with. The aftermarket stuff is a lot better but it is not an end all solution. I really hope the cured it properly because if they did not then there is a chance your paint could lift off of the car. Most installers that I know of usually always advise waiting 90 days after the paint job is complete regardless if it was super cured. Even my installer always waits at least 90 days because even after they super cure it the paint is still breathing. This process needs time. I also did not know that paint technically takes years to fully cure. I guess the first few months is just an initial cure stage. I really do hope you got a solid install and nothing bad happens if you ever had to remove the film. Also I really like Suntek Ultra. That stuff is arguably the best film in the market right now. The other one imho is Xpel.

And yea 600k on a watch I personally rather spend that money on other things. I think the most I ever spent on a watch was my super avenger. I am not a big rolex guy either as I personally just dont like how they look.

Sky Hye likes this.
  17. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I will spend the 600k on the speciale aperta instead. Gotta have it. Watch is not for time telling anymore, you know what I mean. When I compared the Richard Mille to my IWC Ingenieur designed by Genta, I still love my IWC much more.

18. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I have had the pleasure of seeing and selling many watches and nothing has captured me as much as IWC. Perfect blend of quality, looks, and price.

19. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    I have to agree with you completely on this. Ironically I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday and he was telling me how terrible Rolex keeps the time. Of course he is referring to older Rolex not brand new ones. But it was interesting cause watches have now become fashion accessories.

Sky Hye likes this.
  20. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I get flamed by by friends because I dislike Rolex so much. It’s a generic heavily copied status symbol watch which I relate to someone purchasing a BMW or Mercedes. I may offend people, however, Rolex is just like apple or Tesla. Mostly great marketing and a decent product. There are far better (cost and aesthetics) watches out there in my opinion.

I laugh at shows when I see every other owner wearing a submariner or the occasional Daytona. Does nothing for me

iloveferrari likes this.
  21. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    I feel the same way actually. I guess to each their own but I prefer Breitling watches. Very accurate instruments.

22. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    I fully understand

23. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    would you guys do the paint correction before PPF?

also would you just do the ceramic coating instead of PPF? I should not have to worry about the PPF turning yellow right because the car is black.

I almost just want to wrap this into a matte blue and call it a day...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    You do not have too but I highly recommend it as it does help the PPF bond with the surface. Also if and when you do decide to take it off the paint is already prepped and after the adhesive is removed you may be able to just coat it. But again you can also get it corrected after PPF removal. I have had both ways done and it really just depends on you. And no matter the color you always have to worry about degradation of the PPF. Being that it is black and black gets the hottest and absorbs most of the color spectrum then you actually have to worry even more. A ceramic coating over the PPF helps but it is not an end all solution. Also I would never wrap a car just because that stuff really degrades fast! The coloring used in the vinyl is very weak to UV rays and degrades even faster. Sure you can ceramic coat it but I prefer to correct the paint and coat it. Nothing like a properly corrected Ferrari paint. But that's just me.

25. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I’ve wrapped a few cars in vinyl, you’re right it starts to harden and tear. Although price is lower and application is easier than clear, it’s something to be replaced every 2-3 years.

That being said my friend has a vinyl wrap on top of his PPF and I’m curious to see how it lasts.