Paint for window trim | FerrariChat

Paint for window trim

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FasterIsBetter, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    The black paint on the trim around the windows on my '84 Mondial is chipping off. What type of paint is it or what would you suggest to use? Any special prep needed to get it to stick to what looks like stainless underneath?

Thanks,
    Steve W.

2. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I used either Duplicolor or Plastikote (don't recall which) "Trim Black" -- it is a semigloss black. I first washed the trim with dawn, then cleaned with lacquer thinner, then followed with grey primer and finally the Trim Black. I smoothed out the paint with wet 1000 and 1500 sandpaper to get rid of the orange peel. I'm happy with the results and the paint seems very bonded to the trim. Be careful with the sandpaper -- there are couple spots that are thin on mine because I was too aggressive with the sandpaper, so I'll need to touch them up. I think that the trim is actually aluminum. There is a product that makes the job MUCH easier. At Home Depot they have a roll of tape that looks like regular 1" blue masking tape attached to about 3" of clear plastic -- but that plastic folds out to 36" and the plastic has static cling so that it sticks to the car. The easy way is to use regular masking tape against the trim to be precise -- I like to use the white "low stick" tape (as opposed to the blue high stick) because it won't pull paint off when you remove it. After you have the tape in place for the trim, cover it with the plastic sheet tape and in a few minutes you will have the whole car masked. You need to cover the entire car because otherwise you will get paint on the body somewhere. With the fold-out tape, it doesn't take long.

3. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Thanks Peter. Exactly what I needed to know. I've done touch-up work on other cars and know about covering up (learned the hard way... LOL). I agree on the white low stick tape. I like the idea of that other tape. Home Depot, here I come!

Regards,
    Steve W.

p.s. I only live around 15 minutes from you (Florham Park). Want to come over and help Tom Sawyer paint the fence? ;-)

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Auto body paint supply shops carry SEM brand 'trim black' in aerosol cans. It's the right satin finish.

IMHO, the SEM paints hold up a lot better than Duplicolor or Plasticote.

5. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Thanks Verell. I know the Duplicolor and Plasticote are pretty easy to find. I'll have to try to find a local supply store that carries the SEM.

Regards,
    Steve W.

6. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I agree, SEM is a much better product.

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Steve, I wish I had the time to take you up on your Tom Sawyer offer. I will be in Florham Park for the upcoming show in mid-September though so I hope to see you there. A couple of things I forgot to mention -- the reason to use grey, rather than black, primer is so that you can see that you've covered the original and also so that you can see that you've covered the primer. If you don't use contrasting colors, it's almost guaranteed that some of the primer won't be covered because you have to hit it from different angles to get the edges of the trim. Also, I forgot to mention that the primer should also be sanded since it has a slightly rough surface. If the original coating is in good shape, you may be able to go without primer -- I did in one section and it came out fine. Finally, I used 3m Imperial Hand Glaze to get smooth out the finish after sanding with 1500 grit. I waited a few weeks to let the paint cure before applying a coat of wax (although I think the spray stuff cures pretty fast). It's probably worth trying to find the SEM paint -- the Plastikote bonded really well, but I wasn't satisfied with the finish until I sanded and glazed it.