Paint Protection Film, which one? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Paint Protection Film, which one?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MuratC, Dec 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    In my experience local installers with a good reputation care more about your car than even you do :) they will hold themselves to a very high standard.

2. Ice9

Ice9 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ice9
    On a new car I would have it detailed and paint corrected prior to encasing it in film. We all know how bad Ferrari's paint can be at delivery and wouldn't want to lock swirls under film.

Most good body shops that do high end cars can install XPEL, 3M etc....

3. speedsterr

speedsterr Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2013
    Yea they could cut up your car's paint.

4. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    +1 xpel. had my entire 575 wrapped. best thing i ever did.

5. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Just had the front bumper, light bezels and the mirror pods done on my New 458 Black/Beige Spider for $1000. They wanted another $1500 to do the deck lid. Because of the angle of incidence I don't expect too many hits on it so I'm planning to have it repainted when it gets too rough. The main advantage is you can see factory orange peel on the deck lid and I'll have it blocked and sanded flat when its repainted for about $700. I think I will have a better cosmetic result in the long run.

Just my .02

6. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Won't repainting it kill the resale value?

7. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Sorry to tell you but these cars aren't rare. They are building them like Chevrolets - they are not collectors items. I believe the car that is well maintained with the flattest deepest paint wins! I'll have more fun winning peoples choice awards due to the amazing look of the re-paints (clear coat over Nero on a blocked flat surface), than I will ever have from any perceived resale value trying to keep the original paint in 10 to 20 years.

8. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    They're relatively rare. Chevrolet makes around 10,000,000 cars a year. Best guess is around 2,000 Speciales (maybe fewer). I'm not going to baby my Speciale, but I'm sure going to enjoy taking good care of it :)

9. f1driver

f1driver Rookie

Jan 30, 2005
    florida
    who is recommended for xpel installation in the boca raton/parkland area?

10. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    same question for the annapolis area? ( maryland , dc, northern VA area)

11. f in oh

f in oh Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 8, 2014
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Another vote for Xpel, had cars done since 2002 using 3M, venture shield. Xpel is by far the best looking and performing out of all of them.
    Btw, anyone in Ohio looking for a great installer, Block A Chip does all my cars, highly recommended.
    Alberto

12. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    I've used Ventureshield, 3M, & Xpel over the years. IMHO Xpel the best but I am comparing different generations of materials. The installer is the bigger variable in the equation. When I bought my 599 GTO it had Xpel Ultimate freshly installed but not a great job. Part of the deal I wanted was they pay the installer I use to replace it. They said they wanted their guy to replace it since they had already paid him and agreed the job could have been better. Then if I wasn't happy, they would pay my guy. Their guy did a great job on the second try. My car came from a Porsche dealer.

Something else very telling to me is that Xpell is the only company responding to this thread. Shows they are monitoring forums to get feedback & help inform potential & existing customers.

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    XPEL PPF and Clear Bra Dealer Locator

14. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy

What part of Ohio? My car came from Beachwood Porsche in Cleveland but I have no idea who their installer is. I know it is not in house.

15. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
  16. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    I'm glad someone posted the link to our locater as there are many options out there. I've reached out to the East Coast Account manager on these.

For Boca Raton/Parkland:

Auto Supershield:
    Luxury Vehicle Wraps | Automotive Paint Protection Film
    (561) 367-0101

For Maryland, DC, Northern VA:

Randy Coffey at Detail Authority:
    3131 Draper Drive Unit G
    Fairfax, VA 22031
    Paint Protection @ Clear Bra of Northern Virginia
    (703) 978-7800

Thank-you for your kind words. We do our best to not only have the best paint protection film, but the best customer service possible.

17. f in oh

f in oh Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 8, 2014
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    It's in the Cleveland area, their office is in Mentor.

18. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    I wanted to get the front end of my 2015 spider wrapped. In a previous response they recommended i have the car detailed even if its coming new. How much should i expect to pay for detailing a new car and the Xpel on the front of the car? (entire hood, side front panels, side mirrors etc). My dealer wanted 2500 for the paint protection. Seems like all the local sites its around 800-100 for the Xpel. Am i missing something?..thanks in advance

19. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    XPEL ULTIMATE is an incredible film with a true automotive clear coat. This means that you don't need to have the paint corrected before installing the film. Our film will hide fine scratches and swirl marks. If you have scratches or damage beyond that then you may want to get it touched up, otherwise you'll be just fine.

2500 isn't bad for a full front end. I can give you the National averages of what's to expect.

For a PARTIAL FRONT END (Note: this is NOT full hood or fenders but 18-24" up the hood and fenders. Plus front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights)

$795-1,000

For a FULL FRONT END (Note: this is the ENTIRE hood and fenders. Plus front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights)

$1895-2295

Again, these are just averages that we've seen across the entire country.

20. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
  21. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thank you for the info as I did not know ownership changed. I will be putting Xpel ultimate as soon as the new Z06 is delivered next month.

22. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    Oh excellent, we have a Z06 with the Z07 package in the shop right now. It's an incredible car! By the time you get yours in we should have nearly the entire car patterned out.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need anything.

23. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    #48 RCorsa, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry fellow fchat folks. I'm an Italia owner as well but just bought a 2015 911tts for a daily and had asked folks on Rennlist this question but folks in the turbo section are pretty sparse with only 1-4 posts a day total so I've gotten no help. I know some folks have two tone Italias with black shinny roof that I'm guessing is similar to my turbo.

This black of the roof looks amazing but also looks like a scratch magnet. Any thoughts on protection folks have done. My had the front full end XPEL'd (is that a verb now). Thinking adding XPEL to this? Thoughts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #49 Need4Spd, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just had my DD 911 Turbo wrapped in SunTek. (RCorsa, you and I chose the same DD though mine is not an S.) SunTek Paint Protection Film: Professionally Installed Paint Protection, PPF, PPF Matte, Paint Protection Clear, Matte Paint Protection, Invisible Protection, Scratch and Impact Resistant Paint Protection, TruCut Paint Protection Software

Looks amazing. Can't even tell it's coated. I think a lot has to do with the installer and condition of the shop. Mine was top notch (AutoProFilms in Belmont, CA - reasonable prices, too). I had the full front done (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, headlights; the factory already has a clear piece just ahead of the rear wheels).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Need4speed. That is an amazing color. I love the blue and almost pulled the trigger from Sonnon on that color turbo but I got a great deal on the s and I really wanted the glass roof. It's the black on the top that I'm questioning about filming now. I'm getting conflicting info. The XPEL on the full front is done and yes the guys did an unreal job. Pulled out the lights badges etc so there is not a second single visible seam except inside the mirror tunnel. I've heard equally good things about suntec.