Paint Protection Film, which one? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Paint Protection Film, which one?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MuratC, Dec 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Reading this thread over again it looks to me like SunTek is getting the best response. And from personal experience it's the better of the two.

As for 3M? Thick ugly and yellowing film. No thanks.

2. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    #77 F40-R, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Removed the 3M product, which became yellow and made the car look like a cream colour and replaced it with SunTek. Now it's white again and I'm happy... the 3M product was on for only 18 months and the car has barely seen the sun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    #78 F40-R, Feb 6, 2017
    On another note, the SunTek film was the cheapest option and came to $3000 cheaper than Xpel, so I thought, why not save my money! I've had my Matte Aventador Roadster covered in Xpel Stealth and I don't see any difference in quality from the two brands.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    #79 F40-R, Feb 6, 2017
  5. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    Spoke to my installer, he used SunTek..

6. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    That's what I figured. I'm been searching and can't find a Suntec installer in my area. Everyone uses XPEL and one guy uses a new film called STEK Dino shield which no one else seams to have heard of. This particular installer tends to do most of the high end cars locally and is 30% more expensive than everyone else. They say STEK is better than all of them but the lack of any outside information makes me wonder if they have some exclusive and are just getting higher profit margins?

7. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    I have had Xpel on my 2010 458 Italia for 6 years now since it was new. I did some research on the latest films about 6 months ago with the intention to replace the old film in the near future. Most films last about 5-7 years although mine is still holding up quite well. The latest 3M Pro film is very impressive and I have seen it at the installer's shop during a demo. The self-healing property seems to be better than that of Xpel Utimate. Both clarity and reflectivity are slightly better as well. That's likely what I will go with in the coming months.

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Suntek importer is in another state. Also they don't have any recommended installers ( trained ) in my state

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Any comments on Opti coat PPF

10. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Finally found a Suntek shop with the help of suntek corporate. I just bought a new tesla that I'm picking up today and I'm going to give it a try and have him do suntek full wrap (as I'm getting a black and I want to protect from swirls). I can then compare with the xpel head to head so when my B Fuji 488 spider comes in in June I can decide

11. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    It 3m films on my 458 and Maserati on front and fenders, price was $1.800 each on Foreign Cars Italia in North Carolina. It was well worth it!! Protection is key, when dealing with the paint work on these cars...

12. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    #87 spiders, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Chose any of them. They all look like plastic wrap, especially over metallic paint in sunlight.

13. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #88 rocketman, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    You will be happy with Suntek....I tried the others in the past and currently have Suntek on my 488....undetectable if applied correctly.
    Make sure they use the second generation version of Suntek ( I forget what it's called ) which is an improvement over the first gen and has a longer warranty.
    In addition, I had C-Quartz Finest applied by one of only a handful of C-Quartz Certified Installers.

14. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I just had mine done in Xpel, the new self healing one, then they applied two coats of CQUARTZ . The car looks incredible, it seems to have brought out the richness of the paint. The color looks deeper. I am very happy with the results, the installer is one of the best which makes a difference.

15. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I am having the same done to my new 488 Spider. After doing a lot of research on the films it seems the quality of the installer is much more important than the film itself.

16. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Lol. Not IMO but much better than a bunch of rock chips but of course I drive he hell out of my cars. No garage queens here. :)

17. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    So I got my new black metallic tesla P100d back yesterday from getting full body Suntek and optocoat pro done. I did the whole car as it's black and wil be a DD that I use a car wash for weakly and I hate swirls. After using 3m initially and XPEL ultimate on nearly every car I've had in the past 5 years including my last 488, I can say without question Suntek is the best looking. The shine and clarity is beyond belief and there is zero orange peal. It also has a 10 year warranty (not that I've ever kept a car that long). I figured it was good to take a chance with my tesla with this but it paid off. No question my incoming Bianco Fuji 488 Spider will Be getting Suntek.

18. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Agree, I only use the Suntek PPF. Never tried the 3M, but have used XPEL, and although these are all generally good products, the Suntek is my choice and will be going forward as well.

Jim

19. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
  20. renn

renn Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    california
    Full Name:
    rey s.
    my car's paint protection film was done at the dealer in SF and was clear armor. I have expel on my GT3 and I can't really tell the difference.

21. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    If you don't mind me asking what did they quote you for the whole car Tesla Suntek? Any quote for the 488 whole car Suntek?

22. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Full paint correction, Suntek, ceramic window tint and opticoat pro ran me $6200. He said my spider will be tougher and more time intensive so it will be around 8k

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  24. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name: