Paint Question | FerrariChat

Paint Question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Octane116, Nov 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Octane116

Octane116 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Near Milwaukee, WI.
    Full Name:
    Cliff M.
    I have owned a US version 1986 Testarossa for 17 plus years. It was red when I bought it, but the original owner, supported by the paint code, said it was originally a black car. With values finally rising on the flying mirror TRs, I am thinking a black TR being as original would be worth more. I would appreciate comments, feedback, questions. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Not sure they are on the rise now...seems more like the decline. I would like a single mirror, black TR :)

3. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    There are some who may insist on the original paint color, but if the job was done right and there is virtually no trace of the original, I'd say it doesn't much matter on a high production model like the TR. Prices seem to be stabilizing on this model. After Scottsdale, I'll let you know which way the wind is blowing.

4. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    I used to have a dark blue TR and used to get compliments at meets, I think only because it wasn't red and stood out. At the time a friend had a red one with the tan interior and if I remember right the discussion seemed to come around to the thinking that most people wanted the red/tan combo and that brought a little premium at resale. I remember wishing that mine was red/tan ;). I still think the red/tan is better except if you are looking for your car at a large Ferrari meet like Concourso Italiana where all you see is a plethora of red.