Paint readings | FerrariChat

Paint readings

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ClaudioMa, Jun 5, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClaudioMa

ClaudioMa Rookie

May 28, 2024
    Full Name:
    Claudio Martella
    I'm looking into a 550 which supposedly has only the roof resprayed. However, at measurements, the roof is around 150um, the rear left wing ranges between 280 and 315, and all the other areas range around 250 (sometimes less sometimes a bit more, but always under 300).

Anything over 200 seems a repaint to me (and anything over 300 a red flag for potential fillings), what's the experience of 550 owners? I know Ferrari's paint jobs are inconsistent, but I don't know what to expect.

Also, there's this "stone guard" on one of the sides. Has anyone ever seen one? Is it removable "tape"?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    The most valuable Ferrari models that I'm aware of have been resprayed, rebuilt, restored.....etc. Some probably have less than 50% of the number of parts material that they had when they left the factory. Why are some people so obsessed about some paint?

bruzzifumi, vraa and Bluebottle like this.
  3. ClaudioMa

ClaudioMa Rookie

May 28, 2024
    Full Name:
    Claudio Martella
    Most of most valuable Ferraris are older than year 2000 :).

In general, I don't particularly care, I just don't want to pay for "original paint" when it isn't, because it will bite me if/when I resell it. I can live with a good repaint job -- if anything makes me less anxious to use the car...

vraa and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'm alive

imho, 550/575 you should be concerned with body / structural damage and not paintwork. the doors are steel. rest aluminum which may throw off diff readings. any repaint was likely done to higher standards than the factory....

these cars were painted partly by "machine" if you could call it that and then finished by mario. from my research, u can usually see the blend lines (very faint) on metallic cars on the rear haunches. when faults were found during inspection, they simply just repainted areas (ie not bare metal)

that is the factory stoned guard. all the first gen xpel stuff yellowed after time. chance it will pull the paint off if removed.

6. ClaudioMa

ClaudioMa Rookie

May 28, 2024
    Full Name:
    Claudio Martella
    Thanks! Sounds like the repaint job then does not affect the price too much on 550?

This is a 2000 550, i'm surprised i never noticed the stone guard on any other 550 before (and it came off? on the other side)?

7. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    not if done to a factory standard.

the reason you havent seen them is that many of these cars have had paintwork. just to refinish the black trim correctly, you are looking and painting the nose, side skirts and rear bumper.

removed when refinishing

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Cowboy Capitol of the World
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am pretty surprised anyone bothers with paint readings on a Ferrari. For one thing the factory paint shop in those years was just not very good. Many had paint rework before they left the factory. The number we saw that needed paint work once landed from shipping damage was quite high. If its original and all the same color be happy. Until recent years that was about as good as you could expect. Ferraris reputation for poor paint quality is deserved and goes back a long time.

Texas Forever and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  9. ClaudioMa

ClaudioMa Rookie

May 28, 2024
    Full Name:
    Claudio Martella
    and those readings i mentioned sound good to you?

10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    any record or evidence of accident damage? i'd agree that around 200 microns is in the range for mainstream manufacturers. but that is a modern number. what kind of paint gauge are you using? i've read that certain brands / models are specific to steel - alum - fiberglass etc.

90's Ferraris are 80's technology. (70's craftsmanship ?)

by the time mario gets done with a sealer, base, clear coat, etc all bets are off.

if not, and the paint quality looks good, i would not worry about it.

vraa and Texas Forever like this.
  11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Cowboy Capitol of the World
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    By the way. The stone guard is from the factory. It was installed in a number of places, was installed poorly and turned yellow. If it stuck on and did not just peel off.

12. ClaudioMa

ClaudioMa Rookie

May 28, 2024
    Full Name:
    Claudio Martella
    not incident that I am aware of. i'm worried about the 314um reading in one spot of the rear left wing (another spot on the rear left is 260um).
    I don't know if i'd call it well painted with a reading of 316um.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. ClaudioMa

ClaudioMa Rookie

May 28, 2024
    Full Name:
    Claudio Martella
    and I guess it cant be removed without ruining the paint at this point...

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The paint on my new Stradale was a bad joke. There were spots where there wasn't nothing but the undercoating.

I didn't care.

15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    those areas that are painted by hand up thru the rear. get a flashlight and see if you can find blend lines.

clear coat is .75-1. color? primer? what does the other side measure?

so the fender has been resprayed. does it look good?

looks like a euro car. u in the USA?