Paint shop to respray 458 bumper in Northern VA/Maryland | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Paint shop to respray 458 bumper in Northern VA/Maryland

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Dec 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

He might have a buddy at a paint shop that would shoot it so his job is just to take it off and put it back on.

There are a lot of good painters around......but finding them to work on a Ferrari and matching the paint perfectly is hard to find.

2. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    sherrillt likes this.
  3. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Yes - would like to hear the update.

I'm sure everything came out fine at the "realistic" <$2k quote compared to the ludicrous $8k+ quotes. Exotic owners tend to lose common sense when it comes to taking care of their beloved machines and over pay for basic services and maintenance (e.g. $800-$2k for an oil change or tire mounting) and examples of simple autobody work that is no different than any other car.

4. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    When I was calling the paint shops I would always try and get the quote before telling them it was a Ferrari. Once they hear it’s a Ferrari, the price magically quadruples and I end the call.

I haven’t gotten the work done yet, but will in about two weeks for painting a new side skirt rocket panel on my 458.

5. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    So using that logic, the quality of paint and ease of disassembly/rerassembly is the same as say a Toyota Corolla? And the expectations of a Toyota owner are the same as those of a Ferrari? Got it! then again, you could pull the bumper cover yourself and bring it to any bodyshop....and then refit and align it perfectly.

ChoonHound likes this.
  6. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Having worked on my 458 and ripped the car apart and put it back together…it’s easier than working on a Corolla or a 3-series.

Supercars with race car equivalents like a 458 Challenge car mean these cars are very easy to work on and take things apart and put back together, as quick access and repairs in the pits are an important element.

A brake flush on a 458 is 4x the price of a brake flush on a C7 corvette…. yet the 458 uses a pretty identical 1:1 Brembo system.

When I told Keroserrie that I would do the labor myself and just bring them the bumper they refused to accept the job and said they need to paint the entire hood, fenders, etc. to ensure proper match, which is ridiculous.

sherrillt likes this.
  7. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    100 % disagree. I’ve had lots of paint work done on my cars over the years and unless your car is black I can absolutely 100% tell if a bumper has been resprayed. Sometimes that’s an acceptable outcome, but in the case of high end shops they don’t want to have your mismatched car acting as a rolling billboard for their work.

“Hey I saw this 458 at cars and coffee with a horrible paint job by X. They’ve really gone downhill”.

8. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    I can’t believe EuroPros turned down the job. They do solid work, I also agree D&V are massively overpriced. A bumper respray is nothing hard. 8k is beyond silly and costs have not gone up that much. They order the OEM paint which can easily be looked up. It’s mainly all labor.

9. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    There are so many crappy options in our area I don’t know why more folks don’t ship their cars further afield for body work — Philly, NY, Atlanta, etc.

10. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Excellent idea…. I wouldn’t mind heading up to Philly or NY. What are some recommended paint shops up there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

Coachworks, Karrosierre

12. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Kerroserie offered the worst quote of them all, an embarrassing and insulting $15k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Have you tried classic coach

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

14. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    What exactly was the estimate for?? Bumper only or blending with fenders, hood??
    They are one of the best shops for high end cars and in this case I hate to say it, you get what you pay for.

Try Bradan, board sponsor and they due nice work

INRange likes this.
  15. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    I have seen a black Lusso multiple times on Linton Hall rd in Gainesville, VA.

16. sunline

sunline Karting

Dec 23, 2004
    Ashburn Virginia
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I had D&V quote me 4500 to fix a burn through mark the size of a dime on my “Alubeam paint” SLS. After some research I went to Royal Autobody in Sterling. The owner in a standup guy who did it for 950. He removed all the interior door panels and blended the paint perfectly. He said it took about 5 samples to get the perfect match and he nailed it. I wouldn’t hesitate to take my LFA there if it ever needed paint work.

sherrillt likes this.