Panama GP in 2022 ? | FerrariChat

Panama GP in 2022 ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Dec 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Leaked: Plans for a Panama Grand Prix in 2022 emerge

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/706066/Leaked_Plans_for_a_Panama_Grand_Prix_in_2022_emerge/

There is no hiding Liberty Media's plans to expand the Formula 1 calendar to 25 races in the near future. Miami and South Africa are already potential options and now there is also a potential Panama Grand Prix.

According to reports from the Panamanian newspaper Mi Diario, plans for a Formula 1 race in the country are in place and a circuit is being built. It is possible to hold a race in the city and would add another new destination for the Formula 1 calendar.
    The initial design of the circuit that has emerged shows a street circuit through the center of Panama City. The exotic location on the beach is cited as a reason why this would be a great Grand Prix for Formula 1.
    In the leaked document, 2022 is indicated as a potential time that the Grand Prix could be held at the circuit. As the contract for the Mexican Grand Prix expires that year, it is possible that a race in Panama could replace it.

tifosi12 likes this.
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Awesome!

The Americas need more GPs and Panama is a great place to have a city GP. I hope this will happen. But first I'm hoping for a Miami GP.

william likes this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I agree with that, but regret that all the new venues proposed are only street circuits.

If this pattern continues (F1, Indycar) most permanent tracks will face unfair competition and disappear.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not arguing that. And it is/would be a shame to loose some of the real tracks over that, but my feeling is that is where the sport is headed as an entertainment venue for the masses.

I think it all depends on how good/bad of a job they do with the track layout. I find Sochi (as well as formerly the Korean GP) utterly without a soul. Then again I say the same about Bahrain and China as "real" tracks. OTOH I love Baku and Monaco.

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think there should be a GP every weekend of the year!

Somebody ping the flying mustache!:rolleyes: