Pantera Appreciation thread | Page 25 | FerrariChat

Pantera Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bounty, Mar 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Theo - what wheels are you running?

2. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    #602 theobordeaux, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you DenisC, but is V 307 the code color? What is the meaning of "Smalto Sintetico Verde Germoglio Glidden Salchi 16 G 118 V 307" Sorry but I do not quite understand.

Hi Mike, there ares these wheel :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #603 DenisC, Aug 28, 2016
  4. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    Thank you is ok like this. Tomorrow I post picture of my Pantera.

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Beautifully refinished wheels, very nice! Are the single slot early? Rare? Are they staggered sizes front and rear in those vintage? Anxious to see your car.
    Oh and if those are original finish wheels, I'm blown away!

6. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    #606 theobordeaux, Aug 29, 2016
    jamesdouglas1436 likes this.
  7. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    Hello everybody, Thanks DenisC, the color is exactly this. My car is in the body shop.
    Looking wheel bearings front and rear. Does anyone know where I can find this?

Than you

Theodore

8. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Cleaning out a long forgotten "junk closet" with car magazines, books etc.. and stumbled across a notebook with Pantera note in it.. Found my old owners manual and what I believe was my Vin# THPNCY09324

Would love to know where the old girl ended up. In good hands I hope.

9. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    #609 azfast1, Sep 27, 2016
    this is all the registry has in it.....

10. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    uh thats not a Pantera

11. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick Karting

Nov 29, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dale W
    What is it then?

12. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    And with a 9324 VIN you know it is a real GT5 not a modified narrow car. Drive a 71 then a 84 you will not believe the difference as in improved steering and handling. The Dalarra upgrades are more than cosmetic
    Only less appreciable feature is the wrinkled leather 80s upholstery IMHO

13. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    The starter motor in our 1973 Pantera started acting up so I pulled it and went down to our local Napa store. Being a Ford product I thought this would be a very simple transaction. It has not been. Today they gave me an incorrect rebuilt starter and since they can not find a listing for the car are perplexed.
    I am guessing the same starter was use on several other Ford products. Can anyone advise?

14. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    David, before you assume the starter is bad, it's a good idea to check ALL connections and also the solenoid. The starter is often not the issue.

Mark

fleetwing likes this.
  15. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Not sure what your message is? As I have asked my technician for ages 1.- ensure proper diagnosis. In this case what was wrong Winthrop the old starter: did it turn, if yes did it engage, if not was there power to it? You can jump the solenoid on the firewall behind pass seat. 2.- is replacement starter identical ? How about gear same number teeth. Bench test before install.

If you follow all steps you can't miss. Where does your new starter fail ?

16. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    The solenoid failed and the starter was loose in its' mounting. The starter may have been fine but as a precautionary measure I decided to replace it. NAPA ordered me a rebuilt and it was only $49 our cost , I'll take that deal anytime.
    The Pantera forum recommended a starter from a 1972 Torino or Mustang w/351 Cleveland. They even mentioned "Q" code Clevelend. There was some discussion about the differences between a standard and auto trans starter. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the right one arrives.

17. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    #617 Bertocchi, Sep 29, 2016
  18. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Beautiful car David. I hope you were wise enough to pass on the minimal savings to be had by turning in your old starter. Shocking how often I've heard of people turning in good parts for ones that don't fit just to save a $10 core charge. $49 sounds to me like too cheap to be any good, and if it's an off-shore knock off, your original might actually outlast it even at 40+ years old. Best of luck and I hope you're rolling again soon!

Mark

19. #619 EarlyCat, Sep 29, 2016
    Same size, just different # of slots. Rare for sure. I have a set plus a few extra including this new old stock never mounted one.

20. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I agree completely that the later cars drive much differently than the early cars, but as far as I am aware, the suspension components are essentially identical from 1971 up to the 1990 Marcello Gandini redesigned SI Pantera. I believe the difference has nothing to do with any new work by Gian Paolo Dallara (the original chassis engineer for the Pantera) but rather much more to do the increased offset and wider tires of the GT5 and GT5-S cars. It's amazing what a bit more meat on the road will achieve! I don't know if anyone was ever officially credited with the GT5 evolution of the bodywork on the Pantera. It was certainly not Tom Tjaarda and it's unlikely that it was Dallara.

As for 9324, it was for sale back in 2003 with only around 3,000 miles on it. Other than the unfortunate change in wheels, it looked very clean and un-molested.

1985 Detomaso Pantera Gt5 Red Pictures > p.1

Mark

Mark

21. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #621 Mark Charlton, Sep 29, 2016
    Theodore,

My Pantera was originally that color and a former owner painted it white. When I stripped the undercoating off I could see why. It really wasn't as nice a lime green as some other 1970's era Lime Greens were. The Pantera Lime is much duller and less appealing than the photo you posted. I can't say if that car was repainted a different shade, but if not, the photo was possibly enhanced to look nicer in the sale ad. They only painted 87 Panteras this colour apparently, and I think the reason is it just didn't pop in the way a Lime Miura does.

Here is a photo of my green with a white paper as reference.

22. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  23. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Does indeed. U gonna snag it? Hope for you, you do. What does it say, don't read German. Is it a euro GTS? Did they do a euro version? Don't see side marker lights. Best aesthetic feature on these cars in my opinion is the 10" rear Campy's. Oem on these.

Pantera's are such a pleasing sight.

24. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Here's what it says:

The De Tomaso Pantera was presented 1970 as the follower of the Mangusta at the New York Auto Show. The Pantera had, unlike some other sports cars of its time, a simple but stable self-supporting body. The design comes from Torino Carrozzeria Ghia, the body was produced by Vignale Torino. Tom Tjaarda of Ghia had designed the shape of this edgy acting two-seater.

This wonderful De Tomaso Pantera was built in 1972 according to the original invoice available as original GTS 1st series from the factory in Modena and sold to Austria. The original Austrian first registration comes with the car. The owners history is fully documented. Two years ago, the car was extensively restored in Austria and since then driven only 500 KM.

This Pantera is an exceptional vehicle in the rare GTS version with wide fenders and powerful 350 hp ! LHD

25. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    No Mike, unfortunately i'm not going for it. It is stunning and the car looks amazing. It had a two years restoration. I don't know further infos about it..but...oh God it is excellent!