Pantera Appreciation thread | Page 26 | FerrariChat

Pantera Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bounty, Mar 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    with biblical references, must be amazing! :D

So many amazing cars screaming our names, add that one to the wish list, really a great Pantera variant right there!

2. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I agree. There are very few Panteras in that condition, at least in Central Europe.

3. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Thanks for finding and posting that bit of information.. nice to see, even if only pics. Can you tell that I miss the ol' girl?

Yes, definitely a real GT5.
    I would also agree.. having driven both, and owned the GT5, there is big difference between the drive of early vs. late Pantera and I would think the wider wheels/offset had a lot to do with it. Of course you had to muscle it around when parking which was fine as the improved cornering more than made up for the minor inconvenience.

Information seems to be a bit skewed in that I was the second owner, and had a dealer tag and thus never registered the car. I eventually sold the car to a friend of a friend but maintained it and drove it from time to time so I know the mileage to be accurate.

Books (except the manual I recently found) records, and original wheels went with the car when sold by me. I understand that the NY dealer that bought the car was a little sketchy and the deal almost didn't happen. This may explain what happened to the records and original wheels. Sad thing is that the then owner and I had been talking, and I called exactly a week later with another offer to buy the car back.. he was quiet on the phone like someone had died.. I knew then that I had missed the car.

Additionally, I bought the car in FLA from a wealthy owner that had numerous Italian cars and a number of aircraft.. my favorite being the 1945 German Messerschmitt restored in full cammo colors! When originally arrived to see the Pantera, it was parked just under the wing in the hanger, what a sight!!

As for 9324, was imported by Stauffer classics. It was in superb condition and remained so under my care. The original owner swapped out the wheels, had the suspension dialed in a bit with re-valved shocks and spring rates. Had the heads ported and flowed, an upgraded cam, and valve springs installed along with headers that connected directly to the Anza exhaust. This work was performed in N.C. by Holman & Moody or the shop that was still under their name at the time. The paperwork for these upgrades was with the car.
    Needless to say when it fired-up and ran through the gears you new it wasn't stock.. other than a bad coil, I never had a problem from this car during my ownership.

The only flaws during that time were maybe some scuffs on the door sill from entry & exit.. contrary to the comment, the interior was mint.

Regards,

4. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Beautiful car. I saw the car when it was advertised.

5. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    hello mark

interesting

i always thought the factory GR4 race cars had an altered suspension geometry in where the roll center was changed. i recall this modification were adopted to late gt5 street cars with the wide campys.

having said that if the suspension and hub bits are the same with the standard narrow body cars were the pick up points moved for the gt5 type wide body cars for the suspension geometry changes?

regards

6. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
  7. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #632 velocetwo, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    ^Thanks for sharing the nice shots!

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    +1 Serrano? Was it a pantera gathering or did they get that many??

Edit - researched - Pantera gathering. Nice shots. Mike M. showed his gorgeous 912 there.

10. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The orange car was pretty darn nice, restored to a very original condition. Good fit finish attention to detail. I think it had less than 12K on it. The rain sort of messed up the second half of the day.

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I heard about the rain, bummer, some high dollar cars that didn't want rain were affected I am told :/

I like the original- Goodyear Arriva bias ply tires, nice

12. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That orange one does look great.

13. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    #638 JohnnyRay, Oct 6, 2016
    jamesdouglas1436 likes this.
  14. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Brakes were bigger and more powerful on the later cars as well. The interior *can* also be a different experience. If you like leather everywhere and one piece race seats, then you could consider it "better" as well.

I would theorize that the Bertocchis were involved with the changes/updates to the widebody cars.

The elder was quite the legend...

LSJ

15. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Lashss, did you ever get the P7 Corsa 285/40/15's for the front of your S?

16. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I haven't yet. There is a Michelin MXW in a 255mm size that may also be a good match for the P Zero rear.

I wish we had some durometer and other data on these tires to make the decision easier!

LSJ

17. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    My pantera is almost finished, I would post pictures next week. It is painted with the same green color! Beautiful, it changes my other cars red, black or gray.
    One question: I have to drain the ZF gearbox. Does anyone know how to do and what oil to use? The same oil as on the 70/80 Ferraris?
    Thank you for your insightful answers.

Theodore

18. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There should be a 17mm hex drain plug on the bottom of the zf case. There is a similar one on the driver side which overflows when the full point has been reached. It takes a bit over 3.5 litres of 80W90 gear oil. I use Castrol Hypoy C. Others are likely as good. The plug removal tool is the same for many VW cars.

19. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    #645 theobordeaux, Nov 27, 2016
    Thank you Mark, but iT is well here where the arrow is filled that the oil is filled? And when it's full it overflows. For when it overflows on the side screw there is only one liter in it.

Some photos of my Pantera in finishing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #646 Mark Charlton, Nov 27, 2016
    The car is looking very nice Theo.

Unfortunately the location you think is the fill point is not. I believe that is the other end of the shifter pivot rod. No oil goes in there. And don't take it apart or you might need expert help with reassembly as there are lots of small parts and reassembly can be tricky (so I am told...).

In the diagram below, the part number 116 is the hex plug I mentioned. It will be for both the fill and level checking on your box. It is fairly low down on the driver side (not visible in your photo). The early ZF cases (per this diagram) also have a top-side fill plug (number 141 on the diagram). The bottom drain plug is number 105. This diagram is viewed from the driver side.

The old oil should be drained using 105. Then, because your box is a newer version and lacks the top fill, you will need a long-neck funnel to fill it via the side fill hole. Add the 3.5 liters slowly (it must flow over internal baffles etc.) and then very slowly top up until fluid pukes back out the side hole (put a pan on the floor underneath). This must be done with the ZF level.

Good luck!

21. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    Yes you're right Mark, I found a ZF video that explains the way to do it.
    Thanks for your help.

https://youtu.be/S8jcRd4gyWc

22. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I hope you do not follow that video very closely. It is a completely different gearbox than your Pantera has and if you use those liquids you will destroy yours in very short order.

23. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    Thanks Mark but I was able to find the process in the technical documentation of my Pantera and with your help everything was perfectly.
    Can you tell me where the engine temperature sensor is located? I dont find it.