Pantera Appreciation thread | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Pantera Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bounty, Mar 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longchamp GTS

Longchamp GTS Rookie

Mar 24, 2013
    London, SW3
    Full Name:
    David
    Longstone,

The 285/40r15's were also AFAIK the rears on the De Tomaso Longchamp GTS/GTSE however far fewer of these around than the P cars.

I know, I own one however I was unable to source Pirelli's so found an alternative a few years back when I renewed mine.

David

Attached Files:

lashss, Modulo_B and NEP like this.
  2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    If anyone knows the whereabouts / ownership of Pantera #3576 a friend of mine has the original owner card and would like to re-unite it with the car. (he owned #3576 in the 90s)
    PM me for details - I don't always check this section.

3. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have read a couple of different numbers for the gt5-s. One was 168 and the other number was 185. I am not sue how many gt5 and group IV cars were built. There are a fair amount of owners that have converted the narrow body cars to wide body cars(grp IV, gt5, gt5-s). That would be why actual vehicle production numbers would not be accurate.

There is at least one maybe two companies out there making a new grp IV, gt5, gt5-s wheel.

There is a fair amount of interest in getting the correct size tires made for these cars, whether it be the Pirelli P7 or the Yokohama AVS. I had contacted both of these companies myself a few years back. Yokohama thanked me for the interest in their product but were no longer in production, which I already knew. One person that I spoke with at Pirelli seemed willing to help and was going to pass my request to his boss, but I never heard back from them either.

But to answer your question, I care and although I can't speak for everyone I do know that their are others that care as well.

There are threads about this on the Pantera International Forum. I am not sure if their are any threads on the Pantera Owners Club of America site about this because I rarely go on that site.

As another poster stated, the 285/50/15 P7 which is no longer available would be a great addition. These tires were put on the 15x10" wheels but could also be squeezed onto a 15x8" which are on the narrow body cars. On my 73, I just had a set of wheels made in a bigger diameter because i couldn't get a suitable replacement tire for my factory 15x10. On my later car I have the P7's on the front and P Zero's on the back.

Hope this helps.

4. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Image Unavailable, Please Login 285/40R15 tires are quiet a perfect match on 10' inch wide and regular diameter wheels. They are actually available form Michelin as BT15 pattern, locking like a real 70th racing tyre (street approved)…

5. Jürgen Geisler

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
  6. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

Yep currently the only real option would be Michelin's TB15 which we have on here https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/vintage-tyres/michelin-tb15-tb5-pb20-classic-tyres.html

However the hot gossip at present is that hopefully early next year we will also have the original road tyres Pirelli's Cinturato P7 When we have them they will be on this page https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-cinturato/p7.html

7. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That is great to hear. Are they going to use the same rubber compound?

8. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
  9. PANAMA

PANAMA Rookie

Jul 4, 2010
    Just to clarify a much earlier post regarding the DeTomaso Pantera Group-4 "factory" competition cars. There were only 14 made of which one car was built in 1971 and campaigned by Herbert Mueller. The other 13 cars were all built in 1972.
    For years there has been a cloud of mis- information about these cars. There were "supposedly" two batches manufactured. The first 6 cars were somehow morphed into being called street cars with some performance parts put on, but mostly cosmetic. I'm calling 100% BS on that story.
    The 4 Group-4 Panteras to race at the 1972 running of the 24hrs LeMans were VIN # 2823 (car # 30), VIN # 2824 (car #33), VIN# 2860 car # 32), VIN # 2859 ( car # 31), VIN # 2343 "DNQ". OF these 5 GROUP-4 cars, three were supposedly the "not as race prepared" cars ??? #2823, #2824, & #2343 were for years listed as not being true race cars !! Cars with VIN's #2263, #2343, # 2344, #2823 were the four cars for the 1972 1000Km Monza race.unfortunateley #2823 failed to qualify and 2263 suffered major structural damage during a shunt in the pouring rain.
    Unfortunately the history of these extremely rare DeTomaso Factory cars has been the victim of authors making it up as they go. Many of the supposed facts on these cars have been debunked in the last 10 years through boring in depth automotive archeological research. Much of it took years as most of the eye witnesses have passed on and not much exists in print or film from that era regarding these particular race cars.
    As one can imagine there is a very small fraternity which exists around these cars. The owners have quite a little network for sourcing era correct components and the exchange of technical information.
    At one time there were six of the race cars here in the USA, but that has dwindled down to two chassis in country, and one of those is here because the owner relocated to the US ! The resurgence of serious vintage racing in Europe created a demand for racing cars up to the early 1970 times and the Panteras were a steal compared to trying to race Ferrari's or Porsche's. Initial buy in was reasonable, drivetrain components readily available and the mid engine configuration was a major plus!
    I've always admired some of the European sanctioning bodies which gave entry preference to the race car that actually was campaigned in the day at their particular race, and the provenance was verified through the FIA historical documents program. Bravo !!!
    Ok, it late and I'm toast. I'll add more information soon. I hope I've cleared up some of the confusion swirling around these 14 cars. Ciao !

10. Jürgen Geisler

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    lashss, NEP, Boomhauer and 1 other person like this.
  11. titangolf

titangolf Karting

May 25, 2010
  12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Does the addition of drop floor pans have a negative impact on price? I have considered one of these cars for years but I am very tall so I can't even fit in a stock car and drop pans is the only option that would make it possible.

13. titangolf

titangolf Karting

May 25, 2010
    I don’t think it would affect value. How tall are you?

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I am 6'6" so very tall about 200lb. I have a friend with a Pantera and I have sat in the car. I can squeeze into a pretty small car but this was too tight to drive.

15. JanDaMan

JanDaMan Rookie

Dec 10, 2014
  16. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
  17. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I'm looking for an ignition switch for a 1974 model...pm me with information please

18. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    DeTomasoGTS74 likes this.
  19. Lobo7

Lobo7 Karting

20. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Are you guys aware that we have just managed to get Pirelli to make this very important tyre again?

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/285-50vr15-pirelli-cinturato-p7.html

The spec is at the bottom of the page. it is worth noting it can be fitted to between an 8" rim and a 10" rim so it offers lots of options which is why the Pantera fraternity asked for it. Sorry it has taken so long, but it is a complicated world we live in.

21. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    As a long time observer of exotic cars, I think the Panteras will appreciate (in Calif. they are usually above $100K. But the question is which ones will be valued above others? I may have posted this list before but feel free to quibble with my rankings as to importance

Top 5 Panteras in Value
    1. Any documented race car that raced in the early '70s original era (not cars converted later for historic racing)
    2. The Pantera 7X show car presented by Ford as possible second Gen. (Sold at Monterey for 90K)
    3. Any Pantera modified by the factory for some VIP but only if documented
    4.The factory built GT/4 race cars , if documented
    5. The targas commissioned by the factory, especially those by Pavesi.(opinions differ on number of targas made in total, I'd say 6 to a dozen)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    BJK likes this.
  23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    feel free to add some more pics, including engine bay :)

24. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #700 BJK, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    posted somewhere before? o_O

Dennis Collins 'Coffee Walk'
    Jump to: Red car startup at 30:35 >>> Yellow race car startup at 33:00 :cool: