Paris/Italy (mostly Sicily) April 2022 - w/ small kids | FerrariChat

Paris/Italy (mostly Sicily) April 2022 - w/ small kids

Discussion in 'Travel' started by VAF84, Jan 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

It is looking like I'll have a long enough break between projects to take a trip to Europe in March or April, so I'm doing some research in case we can pull it off. Italy (Florence, maybe Rome, Sicily) ranks high on the list. We'd considered Paris too in order to take advantage of the lighter tourist crowds, but their CV protocols sound more stringent and confusing. Well, actually they are all somewhat confusing.

Anyway, my wife and I are vax'd/boosted, but kids 5 and 2 are not. I keep hearing about this green pass everyone needs to have, does this affect the kids?

In general, is there anything we'd miss out on, by going during this time frame, assuming current CV rules? By that I mean restaurants being closed, museums shut downs, etc? Or is it all generally open and business as usual.

How stringent is masking? Are children expected to keep theirs on? I'm assuming it will be more likely to be enforced in the urban areas, museums, and such. However, I feel like Sicily would probably be more relaxed about these things and operating more normally. Is this assumption correct?

I'm just trying to get a feel for things, and see if making a trip there will be enjoyable once we get past these hurdles.

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    You need to merge your thread with the big Italy and Coronavirus thread. No need for two mirror threads. If a moderator does not intervene just copy and paste your post in that thread...which you should read as it has tons of wisdom for you exactly on the points you ask about.

Hint...it evolves constantly and there is no selfish immaturity about masks here: you comply but you are free to pull it off the second you step outside.

tantumaude likes this.
  3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

@Nembo1777 Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure which of the threads they would fall on, and whether they would be seen there so I opted to create this one. Happy to merge if a moderator will do so. I'm not sure which would get the best answers, but probably the Covid one.

Understood on the constantly evolving, but I think it's unlikely to get worse than it is now, so this is a good time to check on that. It sounds like you're saying that indoor masking is compulsory, but not outdoors. I'm more worried about having to keep the kid's masked as it will be a major pain to get them to keep them on. Hopefully someone will chime in for the Sicilians, my guess is still that the further south one goes, the more laid back it will be; but I could be completely wrong.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Was in Sorrento in Sept. prior to this craziness and they pretty much followed protocols in regards to masks and checking your vaccine status (if dining inside), especially if you were using any public transportation. FCO, at that time, you had to cue getting into the airport checking your reservation confirmation and your test results on your phone. Then you were allowed to get beyond that check point and go to your check in area.
    Again that was Sept. of 2020. Spent 3 days in Rome, pretty much the same thing.

VAF84 likes this.
  5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks for the tip! I'm starting to think I may push this back until September or October after my next project is complete. My schedule is getting complicated, and it will buy my 2 year old some time to be a little older and hopefully easier to manage. He'll be 3 if I wait, and maybe the mask situation will change on flights for kids under 5. Aside from duct taping it to his face, I don't think there's any way I can keep a mask on him for what will be easily more than 12 hours of airports and flights in one day.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It's actually difficult to give you any sound advice, as the Covid situation is changing day to day, different from country to country, and no-one has the faintest idea of how it would be either in April or in September-October.
    Only thing that could be said now is that most restaurants are open in Paris: I do my best to support them by eating as often as possible at my favorite places, they need the money to keep the icome and save the business (a number have indeed folded already here and there).
    April is usually "rather nice" in Paris, but could still be "cool" and sometimes rainy. As I have already written so many times, to ME (that's just me, after having lived there for 37 years) the best month of the year for visiting Paris is May, more precisely the second half of the month.
    September is nice also, but days are shorter than in May; early September could be quite hot some years; conversely, end October could be cold some years; for the September-October option, the second half of September would be my choice...

Rgds

Dai Baracca, VAF84 and Nembo1777 like this.
  7. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Rome in September? You’ll boil.

VAF84 likes this.
  8. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm a big fan of Europe in May or Sept/Oct, I'm just constrained by my work projects. I'd say May is my favorite. My main purpose was to get a feel for how things were moving along there. I didn't want to haul my kids all the way over there and find ourselves stuck in our hotel/rental with limited things to do, or more importantly not being able to go visit some place because either my 5 or 2 year old can't keep his mask on. The good news is I've been reading that countries are starting to drop restrictions (UK, Netherlands, Denmark according to the BBC), I hope that will start to trickle south. Personally, I just enjoy visiting to walk the streets, and experiencing the people, culture, and food; it won't hurt my feelings if not all of the museums or indoor activities are available.

Growing up in Texas I don't mind the heat, but struggle when temps dip below 68 degrees:D! Maybe it also helps that one side of my family comes from southern Italy. Years ago, I did the Rome tour during August, and I have to agree it was steaming hot, and a less pleasant experience.

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...regarding your first observation: there are several sides to it.
    Yes, France will be starting to ease the restrictions in the coming days, the only question remaining is: "is it reasonable?". The contamination numbers are still frightening, as the "rolling average" on the last seven days was 365.000 new cases every day, for a total of 18.400.000 persons contaminated since the beginning of the pandemy
    (Population being 66 millions, it means that between one Frenchman/woman in 3 or 4 has been contaminated with the virus since the beginning of the pandemy...)
    So...while the measures will legally be lifted at least in part, yours truly will continue to act just as if they were still in place: face masks every day including outside, etc...as an exemple, I certainly would not take my mask away in the tube (Métro)...remember also that the more dangerous "Delta" variant is still lurking there, accounting for 2% of the contaminations, meaning still 7.300 cases of "Delta" everyday, and you certainly do not want to catch that one...
    Furthermore, as for today it is impossible to foresee were we will be in April (except the known factor of the Presidential election, which means that no-one would want to enforce a "lock-down" in April...) ; a new variant might still appear in the meantime (= the new "Omicron BA2" sub-variant has just been detected in the very last days)
    So: who knows?

Regarding the second observation: as for the heat: on July 26th, 2019, we had 42°6 Celsius in Paris, which is 108.7 Fahrenheit, and it felt HOT. We had visitors from Morocco during these days, and they just couldn't believe it; the lunch with them in a non-airconditionned restaurant was "interesting"...
    Generally speaking, my "tolerance threshold" to heat is lower in Paris than when I'm in the country (out of the cities). In the country, I start to feel the heat at about 33°c, which is 91.4 F; then it becomes difficult to work in the garden, for instance.
    In Paris, I start to feel the heat at about 26°C (= 78°8 F), when I begin to sweat if I have to wear a suit and a tie, and am outside walking to the tube; after a few days of these temperatures, the tube (Métro) itself is hot and humid. Many restaurants are still not air conditionned.
    That's why I would not advise July and August, although it has to be said that the second and third weeks of August are usually very enjoyable, as Paris is empty of the Parisians, who have left for vacation; the other side of the coin is that at this same time, many restaurants are closed.

Rgds

VAF84 likes this.
  10. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Italy is my home. When people ask me what's a good time to go, I always say, IF your schedule permits, April/May Sept./Oct. Though I do go in Jan & Feb at times.
    When my kids were little and we had to follow school schedules that always meant between end of June to end of August and YES Italy can be very hot and in some places Humid....not fun with no a/c. There are always exceptions to the rule....principally Sicilia! It is a caldron in the summer months, made that mistake once to go in early August....
    unfortunately as @nerofer said, COVID really is screwing things up with trying to make plans with always changing rules as of late. I'm booked for VinItaly in April for 5 days, so far its a go...but I've said that before:rolleyes: