Parking your Ferrari in public places | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Parking your Ferrari in public places

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Santini, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I find in LA/OC valet's expect that your going to want to self park. They'll usually give you the best spot and you tip accordingly. Otherwise I pretty much don't park anywhere near anyone else and within sight. I will not take the car to a risky area as I'm mostly using it for a pleasure drive. If I'm not comfortable with where the car is I won't leave it there for long.

2. Red Baron

Red Baron Rookie

Feb 14, 2004
    N. Cal

THAT WAS HILARIOUS! I think I've met that girl (about a dozen times). I would have laughed my A** off if I had been there to see that!

BTW - I only park long enough to get what I need quickly, and be on my way - generally in sight at all times. I'll walk the distance that most lazy drivers won't in order to get a wide open parking situation. When you have one of these cars, it makes sense to take care of it - and especially not let others abuse it!

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't worry about it too much. If the spots are very tight, I may park it a bit further out where there are fewer cars, and I do park it myself in valet situations, but that's about it.

I used to park my Mondial in downtown Portland with the top off-- never had a problem. Maybe Portland is just better than some other places about exotic cars.

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Well, I don't really go to places where it's a problem, I guess. Nothing so far anyways... maybe I'm lucky...

--Dan

5. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Nice one!

Valets can never be trusted with exotics IMO.

6. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Steve,
    So YOU'RE the guy who parks like that. How the hell am I supposed to open my door wide enough to get out of the Mondial when i'm in the handicapped spot ? Sheesh, some people . ;)

Tom

7. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

I've been searching for a Shoprite with valet parking with no luck. ;)

Love it, but above all, DRIVE it.

Tom

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Tom,

Yup that's me, guilty as charged :) One day i went to Home Depot for various nuts/bolts and was parked right up front. Had the windows down and top off. Came out and there was a crowd around the car. So i joined the crowd for a while, listened to them, etc. Then after a few minutes i said, "Well, guess i better go" and opened the door, unlocked the gate lock, started her up and drove off :)

If there are kids admiring the car i have HUNDREDS of various Ferrari stickers. Little girls love the "black pony one" and boys are happy for anything while men seem to want the bumper sticker one.

Then there is my local butcher. He has these kids (16 or so) working for him. Well, one of the kids saw me pull up, got my order, and then asked about the car. So naturally offered him a ride, his boss that day (37-ish lady) said he could LOOK at the car, but no ride, as she needed him there. So he went outside, i started her up, he begged for a ride and off we both went for a fast 5-minute fun-fest. He had a GREAT time ginning ear to ear saying his car buddy will never believe he had a ride in a Ferrari.

Share the joy :)

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

9. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I parked my 308 in a ritzy shopping mall once, only to find a dime-sized ding on the passenger side afterwards. F**k!!!!!

The restaurants that I usually frequent, have their own private parking with a valet, and they usually get nervous when I pull up, so I end up parking it myself. Most restaurants have a few choice spots right in front (where the valet greets you) and they reserve those spots for the exotics. I guess that's a form of free advertising for the place.

One time I was in Burlington Vermont, and had no choice but to park in an underground garage. However, a little $ ten spot $ goes a long way and the attendant let me park it right next to his booth. Ahhh...there's nothing like Vermont hospitality.

10. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    He got off light. If that moron had done that to my car...SOME ONE ELSE..would be doing the punching....and they only stop when they no longer feel a pulse. Three things you never f**ck with:

- a man's wife;
    - a man's livelyhood;
    - a man's car!!!!!

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I don't like valet parking, period! I don't even let them park my Civic SI, so I certainly won't in the 328. (In fact, the only other people who've ever driven my Hondas are the guys at the dealer when I drop the car off for service.)

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I guess I've been lucky. I drive my 330 regularly and have never had any problems that were not self inflicted. I think that if people notice it, they are a bit more careful (mine is less recognizable as a Ferrari than the newer wedge shaped cars). I have old original paint so it doesn't worry me as much.

This said, I don't think I would let a velet take my car.

13. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    What restaurant did this occur at?????

14. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    River Oaks Grill. Which is even stupider becuase that parking lot is small and tight.

15. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    That's a shame....you should have dinner at where I work at.

16. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "and I said you see that guy, and he said yes sir, and I punched the valet parker in the face"

So how did You avoid being charged?

17. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    Maximo Tifoso -- Where do you work?

Dave -- I dont know. I havent eaten there again so I dont know if he really got fired. I didnt get his name, he didnt get mine. And to this day ive been trial free.

18. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX

19. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Park close to where you are going in. If you park out in the boonies you give some one the time to start jacking around with your car. Up close, they will look smile, but will not touch, because the next person out of the store could be the owner

20. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Park close to where you are going in. If you park out in the boonies you give some one the time to start jacking around with your car. Up close, they will look smile, but will not touch, because the next person out of the store could be the owner

21. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    Drive it, use it, park it and hope God will watch over it when I am not present.

22. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

There you go.. I agree it is afterall just a car.

23. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    shame on you for lying to childern...lying to jealous rednecks is o.k.

24. Robert Mann

Robert Mann Karting

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Mann
    It is a shame how people will park where ever you do. Some years ago, I had taken my wife to the Dutchman in Kemah and had parked at the far end away from the restraunts so that I would not have the problem of people getting next to me to park. When we came out, about 2 1/2 hours later, cars had parked totally around us and the parking lot had empty spaces between the restraunt and the car. When I take the Ferrari out, I bring it back and not park it in a parking lot. Parallel parking does not bother me, but that is the only way I will leave one.

For some reason, many people seem to take pride in opening their door into a nice car and I refuse to give them the satisfaction of doing so.

Robert Mann

25. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J

That is awesome, I love it. People are such assclowns! No respect whatsoever. And I bet she THOUGHT she was hotter than she really was so she could do whatever she wanted! THAT is precisely why I do not park it anywhere I cannot keep my eyes on it 100% of the time. I don't care if you tink I'm anal, people are jerks. My wife doesn't like it but TOO BAD!