Parking your Ferrari in public places | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Parking your Ferrari in public places

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Santini, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yeah, if I was in your shoes, driving a Lambo, I'd probably say the same thing -- "it's just a car".

Tee hee... just pulling your chain.

2. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    That's funny...LOL

3. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    Handing the keys to a valet seems too much like giving some joe blow off the street a joyride - I don't do it unless there is no reasonable alternative.

However, its too bad that Ferrari did not enable a 25 horsepower valet parking-only mode in the Motec.

I like the idea posted above about having stickers on hand to give to kids who get into the car.

4. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    I'm with Dan on this one.

5. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    I never leave my Ferrari where I can't keep an eye on her.The mall or valet parking ,not a chance in hell .It might be different if I lived in a place where Exotics were staple items.I dont feel like it affects the fun I have driving my 512, thats a blast! I have no reason to park her in any public places,not to mention you can fit anything in her anyway.

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    love your car Wild warrior.... wow wow !!!

7. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

As a "long ago" graduate of Occidental College, I suggest you drop the 550 somewhere in Eagle Rock (between Pasadena & Glendale). If my hazy memory serves well, you'll be collecting the insurance money in no time!

9. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I've never had a valet that has presumed he would park my car. Pay extra and they move other cars and park up front $10 - $20. No one like to pay extra, but that is the price of driving and parking a Ferrari in a more secure spot.

10. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Before my 355 I had a brand new Porsche Cabriolet Carerra. I'm walking back to it in a lot one day and see the lady parked next to me bang my door. As I get closer she bangs it again. Now I'm irate, I said "lady this is a very expensive car and you've already banged it twice. Please stop". Her response was, "my car cost just as much as yours!". I sarcastically yelled "oh, in that case, BANG AWAY !!" What an a$shole.

11. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    I always just try to park far away. i too have noticed that no matter how far I park some ***** has to park right next to me. a couple of months ago I parked my yellow 996 cab at least 20 empty spots away from the closest car in parking lot, I parked at an angle across the lines so some jerk wouldnt park next to me. Believe it or not I got a ticket for incorrect parking. I have seen a million pick up trucks etc. park across three spots without a ticket. This was a local cop givng me sh*t because of the car. It really pissed me off so he accomplished his goal, pissed me off even more. I would like to emphasize that there was a million empty spots avaliable next to the store so I was in no ones way. Grrrrr.

12. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Don't park in public places, don't drive in the rain, have the belt changed with every fill up, which doesn't happen that often because I just don't drive.
    Also, I have it feather dusted by naked virgins each nite as it sits in my climate and light filtered garage. I am doing my best to keep up with others who treat their cars like...they are not cars.

13. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    some of the dickholes that own ferraris park in the handicaped spot

14. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "some of the dickholes that own ferraris park in the handicaped spot"

Some of the dickholes, as you put it, that own Ferraris are handicaped.

15. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    LOL. I'm one of those handicapped, Ferrari - owning, dickholes who use the handicapped spot. I freely admit it. I'm handicappped. The result of a stroke two years ago. But a "dickhole" ? For the most part, no. ;)

Dave, I very much appreciate your sentiment but I honestly think Dan meant well and was merely pointing out that some Ferrari owners are so arrogant that they feel they have a right to park where they wish. Peace.

Tom

16. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    I don't like to park close in some cases. In Las vegas you see Ferraris up by the entrance. That means much more traffic going in and out, and they will do it past your car to get a peek.

Most damage is from bags, tripods, and keys people are not aware of carrying.

I like people to enjoy it...though if one more guy asks how much it costs I'm gonna puke.

My rule of thumb is corner spots, at the edge. Fewer passers-by is better for me. I am not worried about vandals as much as I am unruly kids.

17. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I love the comment that it is "only a car." Judging from the Potomac, MD address, he has more money than appreciation of fine things. Fine is fine even if you can buy a new one every year. I do not encourage people to take up two spaces. Aside from a total lack of manners (class), someone is going to do you in just for spite. I like the back of the lot idea and don't mind the walk. I'd have to be desperate to even go to a public lot, however.

18. billh

billh Karting

May 2, 2002
    central mass
    Full Name:
    Bill Henderson
    Here is a nice little story about my car:

I and a friend went to a nice italian restaurant down town and had to park on a side street. there was no room in front of the restaurant for keeping an eye on the TR.

When I came out and around the corner, someone had sprayed silly string down the side of the car. Hey, as long as they dont key it, I can wash the string off with a hose.

The next day I found a dent in the side where someone had kicked it....right around an extended foot height under the pininfarina emblem.

That'll teach me to park in a dark alley.

19. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I hand the keys to the Valet, and tell him that the computer can recall all information on the car including speed, and RPM's. You will never see a Ferrari driven so slow.

20. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    All this money on Ferraris and my GF's $14,000 VW Jetta 1.8t has better valet saftey :) I got her an APR chip, one button and she is in valet mode. Lets see ya burn out below 2500 :D

Kyle

21. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "some of the dickholes that own ferraris park in the handicaped spot"

yup - gave one these guys a $500 ticket once; said he didn't want to get his car scratched when he parked it.....

22. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    VERY smart ;) As for a 2500rpm burnout... Its possible ;)

23. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    sheesh - it's a car man.

I drove mine every day (literally had the choice of ferrari or bus) and just parked it wherever. no dings. Did get keyed three times by another resident of my apartment building, hence the repaint (http://ferrari.threefourfive.com has reciepts)... then I moved. No problems since.

DO NOT TAKE UP TWO PARKING SPACES. Just my opinion but that is as close to a pure assclown move as you could pull. Just park further out or something.

Of course I live in the Seattle (Redmond, home of Microsoft) area and my 328 is usually worth less than the <insert one of Lexus/Mercedes/Ferrari/Porsche/BMW/Audi/etc.> that I am parked next to anyway... whether at work or the Bellevue Square Mall.

:)

-dq

24. Johnny Fleeman

Nov 4, 2003
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Full Name:
    John H. Fleeman II
    Picked up my new yellow 360 spider on a Friday. Famous Daves Bar-B-Que restaurant had just opened up in a nearby town. In the restaurant business myself, I dove down to check out the new place. After parking my car at the bank next door, which was closed at the time, I went in to pick up a carryout menu and a sandwich to go. Not being in there for more than 5 minutes I was returning to my car and seen someone walking around it. As I approched my car, the person was pouring bar-b-que sauce all over it. After spotting me, he ran and got into his car. I opened his door and put my right fist in his mouth. As he sped away I did get his license plate number. Famous Dave's did have a damp towel that I used to wipe the car off with. This guy could have easily used his key or something else to damage the car. I was glad that it was just bar-b-que sauce. This was 2 in the afternoon, I thought no longer than I had planned to be in Famous Daves it would not be no problem. I market dressings & sauces out of my restaurants, if the bar-b-que sauce actually had been my label, I might not have been so pissed off.

25. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    I keep telling my self "It's only a car" but I haven't convinced my self yet. Maybe it's because I can afford a Ferrari now, but for many years I could only afford a Ford. No rain and no public parking.