Parking your Ferrari in public places | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Parking your Ferrari in public places

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Santini, Mar 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 38 Off

38 Off Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Pace, FL
    Full Name:
    Phil Crain
    Bought a grey, no logo cover from CA Car Cover (they supplied it without the logo on request). I have covered the 355 with it and left it on the street (not long term, just for a short time if going to some function in the area) without a problem (yet). It comes down over the center of the wheels, so most people don't know what's under there. My purpose in buying the cover was to make it look like some mall-worker kid's ricer was under there, yawn. Parking lots, I just park way out, and no problems so far.

We did have a coke poured over our CL500 about 6 months ago while it was parked (way out) at a movie theatre in the afternoon (daylight). Do you think that his daddy that "works in the mines" for 50 cents a day may have indoctrinated his red neck inbreed offspring that anyone with a nice car MUST have it because they cheated enough wage slaves to afford it? I mean, they couldn't have actually worked their butt off for years, while daddy did as little as possible on the work front, but excelled on the whining, huntin, fishin and beer drinkin side of life!

2. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I have to say that's a good one!

3. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Had someone try to pry off my hood emblem, broke their screwdriver in the process, so they ran it across my hood a few times;

Almost impsooible to park it with top off and not find trash, etc. in it when I get back.

Its 'just a car' until the body shops get involved - and not too many insurance companies are going to keep you with repeated vandalism due to nature of the car at the price of paint, emblems and glass on these cars.

I do drive however my car long distances, sometimes for a week, with NO problems once I get out of Colorado Springs!

4. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Several years ago I had my Porsche 944 visciously keyed in my apartment complex. Looked like they spent a good hour doing it. What is with these people? Miserable communists!

5. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    mmmm
    that bar-b-q sauce probably made that 360 tasty!!11

6. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Did someone say public place? :)

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    When you have waited as long as I have to get a Ferrari, it's not just a car. If you love your Ferrari as much as I love mine, it's not just a car. Nonetheless, if you want to actually enjoy it, you have to be able to drive it places and park it occasionally, otherwise, what's the point? I won't take mine to the mall. I will park it front of the grocery store briefly, but I park in the high spot of the lot, so a shopping cart won't go sailing into it, and I try to keep it away from other cars. If I go out to eat, I will only park it at a restaurant where I can physically see the car from where I am eating, which means that I don't go to crowded restaurants where I will have little control over where I park or where I sit inside.

It amazes me how much people are a-holes to each other with cars in parking lots. I have a friend who has had her car repainted THREE times because it has been keyed, and it's just a basic BMW 330i (wonderful cars, no offense to the beemer drivers, but they are pretty common around here). If I catch someone keying my car, I pray I have the restraint to keep from doing something that would send me to jail! People who park in two spots are begging to be keyed though. Nothing says "I think I'm more important than you because of my expensive car" than intentionally taking up two spots, or parking in a handicap spot. (Though I do think the law requires more handicap spots than there are people that need them...they are usually all empty!)

Around here, there aren't many Ferraris and my experience is that I don't get many people saying "cool car" or asking about it at the gas station. Mostly they scowl at me. Probably thinking that I'm a snotty rich guy. This kind of jealousy is what leads people to key them. I don't understand this. If I come across a cool exotic parked someplace, the only thing I'm likely to do is get a bit of drool on it.

8. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    First, sir, your language does not belong on this site. Second, I park my 360 in a handicapped spot. I earned that right after lying on my back for twelve weeks and another twelve in physical therapy. Heck of a way to get that privilege, don't you think.

9. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    That is absolutely unbelievable, I hope you messed him up good, as in years of reconstructive dentistry! *******!!

10. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    You sir hit the nail smack dab directly on the head!

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

In my opinion, it's not about communists. It's about the under-educated, degenerate punks that our society has bred. With absolutely no self-respect, no family values, and no willingness to WORK for the nicer things in life, they just aim to treat other folks (and their posessions) like dirt.

Drive through some crappy neighborhoods in your hometowns -- people live like animals with no regard to their personal surroundings. When they can't bother to pick up the garbage strewn on their own front yard, it's no wonder they think it's appropriate (or even funny) to throw garbage into a Ferrari. The real irony however lies in the amount of money spent (or stolen) to get 22" wheels, gallons of Armor All, and 5% tint on their cars. These issues have nothing to do with race, religion, nationality, or ethnicity -- they're about simple self-respect and decent upbringing. Heck, whether you have one parent, two parents, or whatever, basic values need to be taught.

A little bit of fertilizer, some nice flowers, and some garbage pick-up would go a long way. Make your neighborhood look nicer, property values rise, everybody's lot-in-life begins to improve. A rising tide will lift all the ships.

Let's not even start with America's school system.

Jack "Fascist" Russell

p.s. I wish I could park my car all over town. I just have no faith in my fellow citizens to treat my posessions with the same respect I treat theirs.

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    <Soap Box ON>

To a large extent agree with this. The present State Of The Younger Generation is at an amazing low point. The US educational system (from 1st to 12th grade) ranks as one of the lowest in the civilized world. Worse still is the attitude these youth show towards others in general while also having no real parenting. Single parent homes may also mean latchkey children being raised by parents who work until they have no energy for properly upbringing their children.

While my neighborhood is more middle class, there IS "street respect" to be accounted for. Fortunately the youth around here respect me and my property as i am the "cool old guy" and have always given respect to them. In fact quite a few ask me for advice. In any event, the general big city youth appear to work under different "ways of the street" than those of generations past. The "game" has changed drastically.

Frankly, America is de-evolving IMHO. It is a multi-faceted problem where some solutions can not be followed due to our present legal system with way too many people seek frivolous legal recourse in hopes of acquiring more funds (sue McD for making you fat, etc).

Will never claim to be Mr. Model Citizen, though am highly respectful of others space/opinions/property.

<Soap Box OFF>

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

13. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Memo
    To: Steven & jack Russell

Very well said indeed!

14. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    The 512TR is parked in public places all the time 24/7. Haven't had any problem since our purchase in 2002.

In HK, most people are respectful of other people's properties, so car vandalism is not very common. A while back, my friend had his 355 spyder top down in an open-air parking lot with his wallet still inside. We were away out of sight eating breakfast and chatting for over an hour. Guess what happened when he returned? A cop was actually standing next to his car watching over it. He told my friend to be more careful with his wallet next time. I can't imagine the cop being there the entire time we were away. During the entire time, nobody snatched his wallet or dumped garbage into it.

It's sad to see so many people elsewhere in the world so disrespectful of other's belongings. The mentality is like: You must pay for the fact that I can't own/enjoy what you have. Sigh....

15. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Bubba,

HK, Singapore and some other places have a much more respectful, honorable way of life. Here is America it is not as honorable and have heard that driving a Ferrari in London can cause people to openly spit on your car as you drive by(!). Driving a Ferrari in Italy is like having the keys to the counrty :)

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Italy is the only country in Europe where you can be fairly sure not to be cursed or spat on,while driving a Ferrari.

17. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well said. Like you, I worked my tail off to get to the point where I could buy a Ferrari. I paid my dues. However, the mentality among underachievers is to look down on those who achieve. Most of us make a choice to pay a certain price for success or not to pay it. And those who choose not to pay a price will never openly admit that they didn't make that choice, instead they focus on those who did and actually blame us for their plight. It hasn't always been this way in this country, it's getting worse.

And that's why I keep my cars far far away from public places and the people who see me as a symbol for all that's wrong with their lives.

18. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    I have a 01 RT/10 and for the first few months I did not care where I parked it and then I found out that some people will hate you because of the car and then will do something to your car. I now went and purchased a daily driver but I still find that I drive the Viper to places. I just have to be able to see the car where I park it or park it so far away that it does not attract attention. I just do not take the car and park it far away if I am going somewhere for a while. Only short trips allow me to park the car far away without seeing it. Valet's also become your best friends when you get these types of cars!

19. ART360

ART360 Guest

I cover the car with the plain brown cover that came with my older 348. No one bothers it, except that they steal the Ferrari valve caps. Can't seem to catch whoever is doing it, but sooner or later I will, and there will be h*ll to pay for them.

Art

20. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    One word...J E A L O U S !!!!!!

21. JSMDMD

JSMDMD Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    I have had my NSX for about a year and a half and it's been keyed twice.
    First time along the side of the car, and the second time a nice swirly design on the hood.
    What gives with people?
    Meantime, last Saturday I went to Target and saw a new Maybach parked in the parking lot there. It had dealer plates on it, but even so, I am not sure I would have the guts to do that!

22. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    Well, I dont have hours to reply to every post, although most of them ARE true and good points.

I think it all comes down to WHERE it is you park. For example, you park your car somewhere in Orange County, CA and people will at least show you the respect of NOT keying it, although there may be the ocassional a$$h0le.

Now take it down to Compton, and it'll most likely get keyed if not worse.

Steven's point is very true. Although my Ferrari's never been keyed, its probably because I dont have one, YET. But point in fact: we had a '94 Maxima that my dad took to Austin when he got a contract there. Now everybody knows that Austin isnt the worst city to live in, and probably better than most parts of Dallas (Round Rock/North Austin area). Two weeks after moving there, some stupid kids smash the window(dont remember if it was one or more).

In Toronto, that never once happened. I did get coke spilled on our cherokee that has Texas plates though, but thats nothing a hose couldnt take care of.

One way of looking at it is the way people make their kids think that people of other races are "not as good" because they "stole their jobs" or some crap. Just replace that with "oh anybody that owns xxxx car is a pr!ck because they <pick choice of deal drugs, stole the money/car, stole somebody's job, etc>". Not "they worked there a$$es off".

Being 23, I've been the age of most of the kids these days and its not that far back, but I was NEVER like how any of them are these days. If I see a nice car, sure I'll admire it, but am careful not to even let a button on my jacket or anything touch it. If the owner's around, I usually talk to them (not "how much did it cost" because I usually know, but actually about the car).

[Rant off, back to Law&Order]

edit: I've had my Mustang since '01, and so far the only problem I've had with the car (aside from factory issues) was bird droppings eating a bit of the clearcoat so I've been lucky.

23. jmiles360

jmiles360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    J. Miles
    Some of the stories on this thread are awful. I'll have to think twice about where I park my muscle car around DC and Georgetown. Its a shame when jerks ruin it for the rest of us, because I know I love seeing Ferraris parked or driving around. Ferraris are a semi-rare sight in DC (as opposed to LA) and it makes my week just to see one.

24. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Nothing worse than being at a bar and hearing that someone knock over you brand new Suzuki GSXR 750 in the parking lot. They guy who report it said it must have fell. I told him no I parked leaning down hill so it would either take a 70mph wind (no wind at all that night) or some drunk f***** thought they had the right to sit on it (because it sitting there) and dropped it right on it's side. I had frame sliders so there was minimal damage. You could also tell that whoever dropped it tried to save it on the way down. I was still pissed though. I posted a sign (It's not yours so keep off) from then on.

25. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Oh yeah. When I got my M3 I came out of a different bar and found my driver’s side mirror hanging. Again I was pissed but quickly figured out how to put it back on. People are jealous and stupid you have to vigilant to protect your car.