Parts shipping from U.K. - Taxes or Duty?? | FerrariChat

Parts shipping from U.K. - Taxes or Duty??

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by carguy, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    A friend of mine is buying some classic Rolls Royce parts from England and having them air shipped over here....and he is going to Metro Air Port to pick them up. He has a bill for the parts costs, and it also shows "carriage" costs, but nothing about taxes. When he goes to pick the parts up, will he have to pay duty and taxes at that time?

2. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Sometimes when you order stuff from England later on the shipping company (DHL/Fed Ex) will send you a bill for customs tax.
    Usually a small % of the value in my experience.

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks Pwehmer.....it seems like they should know in advance, but I realize how thick the "red tape" can get sometimes.

4. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Carguy,

If by Metro Airport you mean Detroit Metro, and if the parts were sent using Schenker as the carrier, your friend is in for a lot of grief. They are a horrible company and will make him pay a bunch of money when he picks up the parts, as well as deal with a bunch of red tape. Hopefully he's used FedEx or something.

Just my $.02 based on experience.

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yikes......I better call him right away and find out. I think he said Fed Ex but can't remember.....my fingers are crossed. Thanks!