Passenger side seat belt warning light remains on | FerrariChat

Passenger side seat belt warning light remains on

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by TR91, Jun 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TR91

TR91 Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    All of a sudden the center console warning light for the passenger seat belt won't go off. The seat belt and railing seem to work fine and click into place. Is the problem likely with the micro-switch at the base of the rail?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Easiest first thing to try is just use the battery disconnect switch to remove power from the seat belt ECUs (they are always powered when the battery is connected) -- maybe leave it off for a few minutes to ensure things get fully discharged, then reconnect the battery switch. If no joy, you'll have to dig deeper, but doing this doesn't need any tools ;).

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Try Steves fix first but keep in mind Ferrari has replacement parts again. They have always had their butt hanging out exposed with all kinds of liabilities over those stupid systems.

It should not take much convincing to get them to fix it. My first point of contact would be FNA in New Jersey and suggest a willingness to contact DOT and NHTSA if they give you any argument. I know for a fact they are still fixing them gratis.

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    in those days today something for free? ;)

5. TR91

TR91 Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Thank you Steve.

6. TR91

TR91 Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Thanks. My local dealer said no.

7. TR91

TR91 Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Where would I find this switch?

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Under the front bonnet on the RH side above the battery area (it's a round rotary knob switch) -- see the figure on the first page of Section 5 in your TR OM.

9. BR in the UK

BR in the UK Rookie

Sep 18, 2006
    Stockholm
    I have the same problem and turning off the power doesn’t fix the issue. Anyone have any other ideas? Belts work through one full cycle and then stop when pen and won’t work again. When I power off ignition for 60 seconds it will work again through one full cycle but seat belt warning lamp is always on. Any thoughts what the belt warning means?

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Just that the seat belt ECU is unhappy because of a bad input signal (there are various switches at each end of travel), or the ECU itself has an internal problem. If you swap ECUs that would tell you if the ECU is the problem (light moves to other side), but, if the light stays "on" on the same side, you'll know that it's not the ECU, but not what the trouble is. Has the recall been done?

11. BR in the UK

BR in the UK Rookie

Sep 18, 2006
    Stockholm
    I wrote here in case anyone else ever has the same issue. Yes the recall was done many years ago. I am certain that I had two problems. The mouse would disconnect from the slider on the open position but I could wiggle it and it would reconnect. On the closed position it clearly wasn’t activating the micro switch and the car didn’t know it had gone to the B post so it stayed in the door open position and the lamp stayed on. Swapping the ecus made no difference. So I determined that the fault was in the entire mechanism. Now, if you want to seriously cause yourself pain, go look at the cost of a new old stock RH seal belt rail. Yep, Marenellos has the RH side only and it costs a fortune. Anyway, I bit the bullet, bought the part this week ( great service from Luke at Marenellos BTW, and paid the hideously expensive import duty and taxes to Sweden where I now live. Part arrived and following the guide on Ferrari Chat about repairing the mouse belt system I had the whole thing off and the new one on in 3 hours. Now you would hoe that a new part ( but of course a 32 year old “new “ part ( it had a date label) would still work, especially one that cost a fortune, and…….it did! Immediately without any issues, plugged it in, mounted it exactly like the old one and everything is working perfectly and the lamp goes out as well. The fact that it cost 1.5 times what I use to pay for a cam belt service on my 328 20 years ago I try not to think about!
    So success at at least. I have been collecting all the parts for replacing the mouse belts on the 512tr with a set of new old stock Canadian belts for the day when the mouse isn’t available anymore. ( if the drivers side breaks we are screwed, only the passenger is available). I now have everything, there are about 9 pieces including a replacement passenger tray and lots of trim but I have absolutely everything. I decided that the mouse belts were so cool ( and nobody has ever seen anything like them in Sweden before) I would use them as long as possible ( despite the cost) but I do want to know something: Are we 100% certain that 1993 512tr USA cars were fitted with the mounts for manual seat belts? Has anyone actually seen the bolt holes for retrofitting the non mouse belts on a mouse car? I am kicking myself but I was working to get my car back together and I completely forgot to look for the mounting places on the B pillar. The place they would be is complete covered by the mouse unit and there is no way I am taking it off again. Has anyone seen if it is indeed possible to fit the Canadian or Euro belts into the car without any welding, etc. I saw a few comments that people said all the cars were built for the manual belts but I have to ask and like I said, I was so intent on fitting the new mouse I didn’t look!