Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection | Page 33 | FerrariChat

Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by roma1280, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    My liking has evolved over the years. Before, I only like the big and heavy ones, particularly AP offshores. Now, I find myself enjoy more of the smaller and thinner watches. maybe I am getting old.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Sold all my APs. Have just moved on from the brand.

3. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Do not to forget the people who worked hard to get to a place in their life to comfortably afford a $40k+ Patek. If they waited that long, I am sure they can wait some more until they become available.

4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The problem is many of the people who are now lusting after these expensive watches are new to the game. Rarely do you hear of someone saving up for 20 years to get their first Patek. They more than likely hit it big recently or have enough money that they now want to use those funds to be part of the latest hot commodity.

Either way, im sure all this will run its course and trying to get sought after watches will become "normal" again.

5. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Sounds correct to me.
    Just hoping most are buying to enjoy these watches and not to flip them.

fws357 likes this.
  6. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    Personally, I think that the intent of many people wanting to get a Rolex, PP, AP now days is purely for the hype. Back in the days, collecting watches is an expensive hobbit cuz in most cases you lose money just like buying F cars. I have always brought my watches from one AD even though I knew I could get them cheaper in grey market dealers. That loyalty has been paying off for me today. If the watch market crashes, all these people will all of sudden, disappear!

SoCal to az likes this.
  7. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    Me too. I am no longer a fan of AP. They try to maximize the current environment. Look at all these different color dials of RO and Offshores. AP is short sighted. PP on the other hand, still keeping the same production numbers for their sports models, Thierry Stern said it best, he doesn't want people associate PP with Nautilus. I love what they released last month, especially 5326G, such work of art. Hope my AD come through and get me one before end of the year.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Totally agree.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    up until 2 years ago no one gave a crap about AP!

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Proud AP owner “back in the day”. I will say the Bumblebee was an all time favorite due to the cerwmic bezel. It was indestructible!

Also used to own a Grand Prix. Sold em all. Couldn’t be happier (except maybe the bumblebee)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Have always loved AP's. The code 11.59 with the white lacquer dial is growing on me.

12. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I would be lying if I said covid had nothing to do with my renewed passion of watch buying. Most of my watches in my collection are from the grey market. I purchased when I found good deals under retail.
    But call it what you want. I cannot afford watches from flippers. The"rich"guys can buy all they want. The chase is half the fun.

13. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I tried to get a nautilus 6 years ago, market was still crazy then. Then tried to pivot to an aquanaut and didn’t move fast enough. Market has to go down sometime

14. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
  15. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
  16. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Talk to me about that 5905. I had the blue platinum one and sold it. Thinking about getting the 5905 with the green dial and steel band. You like it?

18. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #818 Carrerarsr, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    I like it. The band is great and fits well, very smooth. If you had the platinum one you know how big it is. It fits well on my wrist and I like the steel more than gold cause its wearable without that many scratches. Its pretty hard to get but I just waited couple of months and got the call. The green face looks real good in the sunshine.

Attached Files:

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I like the size of the watch but when I got the 5270j, I figured this would get very little wrist time. So I sold it but im intrigued by the steel band. Need to try it on when I get to Geneva. I think they are going to give me an allocation and I have to decide between this and the 5968 blue chrono. I have the orange and green, figured Id get blue to round out the trio but maybe I get this instead first?

20. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    get the 5968G blue!! no brainer!!

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  22. fws357

fws357 Karting

Mar 27, 2022
    Absolutely! They are beautiful. LOVE IT. and you said you don't have a great relationship with your AD??? you are being so modest. LOL

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Apologies. I meant to say I do have a great relationship. If I said I dont, I must have mistyped.

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I spent the last 20 minutes staring at the watches on the Patek site. I think I have a plan.

First, I was going to sell my 5522 and 5524 but honestly, Im gonna keep them. Just dont have the heart to get rid of them as I do really love their styles.

So next here is what Im going to request in order of preference- assuming that they dont release anything else that I fall in love with.
    • 5968G-001 https://www.patek.com/en/collection/aquanaut/5968G-001. - blue white gold aquanaut. I do want to complete my trio of Aquanauts. I think this will be a late 2022/2023 acquisition
    • 5270p- https://www.patek.com/en/collection/grand-complications/5270P-014 - Green dial perpetual calendar. I already have the 5270j which is just gorgeous but im in lust after the green dial. My plan is to get some more casual straps and this one not be such a formal piece but something I can dress down. Im thinking I can get this sometime in 2024
    • 5905 1a - https://www.patek.com/en/collection/complications/5905-1A-001 - This is third on the list. Ive already owned and sold the platinum version of this. I like this piece only cause it gives me a Patek in a steel bracelet. But I need to wear this in person and see the green dial- does it pop like the 5270? If something else comes along that I like better, ill ditch this for now. Probably a 2025 acquisition?

Anyways- this is the next 3-4 year plan. Might be sooner but in reality, Im in no hurry. I can easily get by with the watches I already have and im sure over the next couple of years there may be something else from Patek that tickles my fancy. I do have a blue face sky dweller on order that might be a 2022 piece but I dont know that I want it anymore. Just gonna stick with Patek and not do the Rolex hype thing. I have a couple of rolexes and its plenty for me.

First world problems to sit down and waste time at work planning out 350k in watch purchases. lol

25. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    I love the blue on that Aquanaut.

Sounds like you have a solid plan. Hope to see you posting pics of these watches soon!

SoCal to az likes this.