Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection | Page 42 | FerrariChat

Patek Philippe - the basics of building a great collection

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by roma1280, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I got offered the Pilot Travel late last year but did not want it as my first "Patek". I have a vision of my first serious Patek as a complication dress watch. I have a 6119G already. I am still kicking myself for turning down the 5935A. But I knew nothing about the world traveler line. And they do not give you days to think (study) about it. Goes to the next patron. But glass half full part is I saved the funds to wait for that serious Patek. I was asked if I wanted the orange Aquanaut. I gave that "meh" reply. Now they have the new 5990/1A in the showcase. If they offer that to me, I cannot turn that down.
    I was told new Patek's placed in the case has to wait 30 days before they can sale it. But I went back after 30 days and it was still in the case. I was then told it cannot sale until they get a replacement from Patek. Hmmm. But realistically I know at best I am probably 50 to 100th in line for it. They have a green 42 gold Aquanaut in the case as well. Meh.
    But my AD offered me a gold Sky Dweller on Oyster Flex. There went my funds lol.
    I am trying to be good and hold off for a 5295R, 5235 or the 5905/1A. Prefer the 5905R, but cannot afford that tier of pricing. Everyone needs a goal when it comes to collecting.
    I think I saw a photo where someone swapped out the metal band on the 5905/1A for a leather strap. Could have been mistaken. I prefer the green dial over the chocolate dial on the gold version. I see prices on Chrono24 are close to retail on the 5905 steel. I need to resist as I like buying retail.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Btw- those watches in the case are most likely non working demo models. Highly doubt they have a 5968, 5168 and a 5990 just sitting around.

SMSD likes this.
  4. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Wow! Those are stunning sitting side by side. Did not see my first as an Aquanaut but then again who knows. I am an impulse buyer too so I guess I will know once I get anything offered to me again. So do not get me wrong, if I could afford several Patek's at once, then Aquanaut would hit my collection in a heart beat. To me meh is for "not my first choice".
    The ones on display had plastic on them. Not sure what that means.

ryalex likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Doesn’t mean anything. Like I said- more than likely demo units with non functional movements or used pieces. Regardless- I hope you enjoy your journey to your first Patek. It’s been a great ride for me.

pingi3 likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Anyone excited to see the new models at the end of the month?

pingi3 likes this.
  7. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    I am, not sure if my wallet is;):D

SoCal to az likes this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Same my brother! same!!

poljav likes this.
  9. SMSD

SMSD Karting

Oct 23, 2022
    Used to be, but given the watch market and how ADs have behaved over the past few years I am losing (lost) interest in most things. If AP calls with something special (like they did when I got my 15416) maybe but definitely not seeking anything out anymore.

JAM1, SoCal to az and Lusso123 like this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Totally get it. Its become a bit ridiculous whats happened. Luckily Im still good with my AD but god knows that could end on a moments notice the way things are. Regardless, Im excited to see whats coming. Brand new sports line- curious to see what else they have in the works.

11. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Got the call today. Got an Aquanaut much faster than I thought.
    SoCal... does your 5968A's rotor make a sound when you move your wrist? Like a rotating bezel sound.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    The watches are coming in fast and furious now. I’m getting a call every other week.

SoCal to az likes this.
  13. SMSD

SMSD Karting

Oct 23, 2022
    They all do. My 5711, 5524, etc. Bery common on Patek (unlike the oyster case of Rolex.

SoCal to az likes this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Congrats! Amazing piece. Yes. Rotor makes a noise.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What’s next for you?

16. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I would love to add the 5205R. Like the 5905R but honestly, a chrono on a dress watch is not important to me. Plus I love the green dial on the 5295. I am on a green kick right now. I want the 116508 green dial too, but just can't pull the trigger on paying double retail for a Rolex.
    And I would not mind a 5811, but I have a feeling that will be a tough one to get.
    I am curious to see how long it takes my SA to text me on my next one. Glad to hear some are getting calls more often now.

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Market is going back to normal where only true enthusiasts and not flippers are starting to buy again. The hype and crazy prices have died down.

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Was looking around yesterday (purchase a year out) and I saw attractive Calatrava Travel (5134R, early 2000s) in the $20-$23k price area. Any downsides making this a first PP purchase?

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    nope. if you like the watch- go for it. it might need a service but thats fairly cheap- $1000 or so...

20. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I have a couple of things on order, I think 5990 and 5980R plus the John Mayer Rolex Daytona with green dial. I am really enjoying the 5905p right now. I had never worn it daily and I’m really liking it. Beautiful size and weight, elegant, understated plus I bought the deployant buckle for it which I prefer (which is not cheap by the way).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cigarzman, JAM1, JHNurse and 3 others like this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I had that exact watch. Also ordered the deployant. Yup- platinum deployant from Patek not cheap. I traded it back with the dealer when I got the 5270 as I felt both were redundant. I replaced the 5905p with the steel version. Its truly a spectacular watch. Wears very well.

Have you tried out new straps from www.camillefournet.com? Ive gone nuts. Am ordering a bunch of colors for my various watches. Makes it so much fun. A bright blue with silver stitching would complement that watch well.

22. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    So your saying there is a chance, chance to get the 5811 again? lol. Dumb & Dumber. They had one but it went to someone else. I have a feeling true PP enthusiasts do not have the 5811 top of their list. But to me, the sport design with dress attire appeal (plus it is now in gold) with the 3 hand dial makes it desirable. The same reason I prefer the 15500 series compared to my 26240 AP. Chrono function serves me no purpose except that they have 2 buttons on the case. Wish I liked the 5905 more as it is more sporty than the 5205 but I am not sold on the bracelet. I need to see it in person I guess. I lose track of what day of the week it is all the time. 5726 would be great also just wish it was in white gold.
    I got more calls last year than this year "so far."

23. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I will fight you for the JM 116508. I hope you get it (after me). Hope it is not discontinued.

24. SMSD

SMSD Karting

Oct 23, 2022
    one thing to keep in mind about Patek service is it is very slow. I mean very slow. You may not get much use during the first year if it goes in for service.

25. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    I think this is my favorite thread in F-Chat.

Next time I visit my AD, I am going to give him some ref #s so he can indicate interest with Patek.

roma1280 likes this.