Patina == History, or just Rust? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Patina == History, or just Rust?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by James_Woods, Dec 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That one is now with FS. While an amazing Barn Find and a sad story as to what happened to her former owner and her Rabbit it is FAR from as it was on the day it was manufactured. Eric mentioned that one.

2. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Recently the cars motor was redone, and the car at least is driveable. Nothing else has been changed to the outside of the car, and it appears just like it was found in that garage except for a buffing.
    Erik

3. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Pretty Cool! Give my regards to the Dr.

Best

4. Zegna

Zegna Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2006
    North America
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    My guess exactly.

Yellow.. With Gullwing doors.. :)

5. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Who hijacked my perfectly good restoration thread?

Admit it - you know who you are...

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #81 Napolis, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    True and it is a good thread with a good question posed. For example this is what 0846 looked like after winning the 24 of Daytona. After leaving her like that for a bit and even displaying her in a Museum like that for a bit Ferrari repainted her and continued racing her. Rust is not Patina.

Best
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #82 P4Replica, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, now 'the culprit' has owned up, shall we turn this into another P4 thread ? :)
    Only joking, James !! :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Thank you sir - that is simply my favorite Ferrari ever (with the POSSIBLE exception of the 1966 275LM that finished first at Lemans that year)...

Anyway, we are all expecting a special birth announcement here on these pages any day now, and we think we deserve to be the first to know!

Best in return,

James

9. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Honestly, the clues give my limited knowledge of this period a workout and I've actually learned some new things while digging for this.. kind of like how I spent a good couple of weeks imagining what a P car would look like on a modern Enzo chassis (and came to appreciate the scope of work needed to make that happen).

Much more interesting & fun than just turning up with a new car IMHO. :)

10. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
  11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Amen.

And cracked and chipped paint leads to rust and thus modern damage of the car ... so what to do, what to do?
    Pete

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Touch it up gently.

Best

13. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I should have remembered that Bert. I'll cast my lot with you.

What a beautiful car. The Prince of Sportscars. Often mentioned as one of the most beautiful cars ever. One that would complement say a P3/4.

My jaw was agape a minute ago.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Rust? Patina? Does it tell a story? Does it share something special?

Would the Bonnie and Clyde car be the same without the holes?

OK That was a setup.

But you get my drift. I especially like to see cars that would have otherwise been painted to perfection ,not painted to perfection.

That helps them tell stories. You may feel things otherwise not felt.

The perfect cars are too common and it is the reality that is special.

Rust? Patina? Or something else?

14. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    Wow, yes I just read that. Strange story. As for patina it has plenty though.

Sorry for the highjack, let's get back to it.

Peter Hatch

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Rust doesn't just stop though ... so if you do nothing eventually this car that so interests you will beyond saving (or atleast the original parts will have to be remade!!!).

Paint is a great way to protect orginal metal ...
    Pete

16. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I need to address some superficial rust in places like behind the headlights on my Daytona. It has 80% original paint that has a real decent patina. Between the headlights however has apparently been repainted at least once as it is heavily gatored.

I have wanted to paint it every year that I have owned it (9) but have resisted. It would be easy to make it all shiny and new looking. Most are of coarse.

I would like to take out the gatoring and match patina if possible. I haven't searched it yet but remember some talk about that.

What would you do?

By the way. I don't even want to think about looking for more rust in all the unreachable places that exist (and were never treated for rust at all) and may well hold surface rust or worse.

17. Ferrari250GTO

Ferrari250GTO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    Philadelphia PA
    Could you please post a link to the story?

18. eurperules

eurperules Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    belgium
    Full Name:
    stijn quintyn
    just my 2 eurocents (those have a more stable value)
    :)

i think racing cars should be proud of their history, and wear their scars with proud.

GT cars are an other thing though. those were built to be pure luxury and class
    they should always look how hey look best. shiny and slick, that is

19. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    If I were in the market for a 250GTO, I would rather have the McNeil car (s/n 3647) than Ralph Lauren's car (s/n 3987). However, the best one of all, in every respect, is s/n 4293.

20. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Would it be possible to 'restore' Lauren's car to its prime--as opposed to its pristine generic--condition at this point? In other words, at what point would even an original car take on the properties of a replica?

21. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    "The ownership of the car is now a court issue. On October 22, 2000, Donna O'Hara went under a bridge, her rabbits in hand, on a horse trail in Fullerton, poured gasoline on herself and lit it. It took her 15 hours to die. She was found before she died but refused to even give her name to the police or the hospital. A month later she was identified when some friends reported her missing."

http://www.thecarsource.com/shelby/cobra/daytona/csx2287.shtml

Just got an e-mail back from Jim (I hope it's alright to publicize) that the car in question is not the P5. I thought it fit perfectly into the "never sold 40 year old car" formula, but it being a non running prototype it wouldn't really just be a touch up restoration. ;)

Peter Hatch

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Although there are some who undergo operations to "Restore Virginity" personally I think like Pandora's Box once you open it it's opened...

23. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    I have a feeling "good time" is going to be a long time.... ;)

Peter Hatch

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No. The real object offers the driving experience as designed by its makers. Quite simply, Ferrari doesn't make Daytonas anymore. A Daytona with a faithfully restored interior and Ferrari drivetrain is still a Daytona and not a 599. Some patina is nice -- leather looks good with a few creases and a bit of toning -- but I fail to see the value in keeping torn-up beef jerky leather, cracked paint and rusted metal as tokens to the good ole times. I'm sure if you found the (now very) old guy who drove that Oldsmobile in its prime he would think we were idiots for not maintaining the car.

The opportunity with this 1911 Olds is to document it exhaustively -- photograph every bolt, weld, gauge and tube. Yes, we owe it to the makers to be faithful to what was. But there's a big black line between a well-maintained machine and a neglected one that will disintegrate eventually anyway.

As far as replicas go, I've yet to see one that re-creates the character of the original. By 'character', I don't mean rust, bruises, scrapes, etc. I mean the chemistry of the car -- suspension, driving position, engine power curve, braking feel and so on. Anytime someone makes a replica, they inevitably cave in to the age we live in. A wretched example would be the Miami Vice 'Daytona', where the whole car was built on a Corvette, IIRC, so you get zero Ferrari experience -- more a kit than a replica in any sense. But even the Porsche Speedster/550 Spyder replicas use modern carbs, VW engines, and so on -- taking a small license to make it more contemporary. I'd argue that a perfectly restored Speedster is a different car than the best replica, and you don't need chalky paint or a lot of engine smoke to enjoy it.

25. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    It's always nice to hear from a grown-up! :)