Patina == History, or just Rust? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Patina == History, or just Rust?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by James_Woods, Dec 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari250GTO

Ferrari250GTO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    Philadelphia PA
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simeone owns it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw two of his ULTRA rare Alfas, and his 250 TR!!!!!!!!! I am just amazed
    Thanks for the story!

2. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I am with you on this one. The Olds is pretty much a derelict. One that was kept in a dry place with no rats to eat the leather, but really it is just an old car in very sad shape. I see nothing wrong with photographing it extensively, setting aside what you have to replace and refinishing the car to a new standard. To my mind it has value to the restorer in that you know that what you have is complete and unmolested, but given that you do a proper job on it and document it carefully it would be worth a lot more to me fully restored. Since it can be fully documented I would think that it would be worth more than another one that just “showed up” and one has to assume is proper.

3. odin

odin Karting

Nov 22, 2007
    So, should we restore the Mona Lisa, repaint her and take some Pics of the Original, maybe someone can do it more perfect???
    The Colliseum in Rome, we can built a better one.
    I think the worth is the history of the car, with all it's faults. If you want a perfect car, buy a new one, or a Replica, Recreation, but don't destroy history.
    We all see a funny market nowadays, 'exploting prices', everytime the same cars for sale, Recreations, Dealers, inventing historys, less collectors, who enjoy their cars. People, recreating more desired Bodyversions, of some cars and selling them for fantasy prices.
    Superficial small talk in Show events, all for earning fast money and to gain some reputation.
    Let us preserve some real cars, with history, lets thank to guys like Napolis, who preserve and enjoy his cars and share it with us.
    There are only a few Original cars left, cause recreating, duplicating and modificating cars started a long long time ago.
    Regards
    Jörg

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Irrelevant comparison ... maybe, the Mona Lisa is in perfect order, probably nearly as good as it was originally ... why?, because it has been maintained. Yep it's been touched up and looked after all it's life.

Now if the Olds was as well looked after it would be a perfect example of how old cars were made, to drive, etc. now ... instead it has been left to turn in to a piece of cr@p. Just because it's old and all their does not make it a perfect example of history.
    Pete

5. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It must be difficult to avoid oxidizing of the metal; I mean with Patina standing for much including the original condition of the car, a notable crack in the body, as from a noted collision or event may later on lead to rusting. How would one go about eliminating this possibility as well as maintaining any type of physical identity?

Best,
    Jon

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Depends on whether you're a seller or a buyer! ;)

7. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would imagine it all to be relative, though if you are selling a "rusty" car you most likely are selling it to a buyer who does not mind rusty cars.

Best,
    Jon

8. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I got guess what kind of stylish new black leather wallet?

Polo by Ralph Lauren!!!

I told the old lady that I valued it so highly that I would just keep it in the box; and of course my old one has gathered
    a certain hard-won "patina" which just cannot be reproduced.

It was funny because I had just finished watching that Ralph Lauren car collections program on HDT discovery
    Christmas day when they wanted to open the presents.

Serious point 1: I think the "over-restoration" people may have a point about his cars...the Alfa with the questionable red plastic bubble headlight covers kind of changed me over. They showed him making a "personal style decision" on using them or not (he used them) and it looked like he just wanted to do whatever looked cool without a thought about history.

Serious point 2: I hope I am not pizzing off a poster on here, but if you want to see the article (with pictures) that set me off on starting this thread, page 28 of the last Hemmings Motor News presents the story of a really run-down Model A Ford that perfectly illustrates my other side of this coin.

Merry Christmas to all,

James

9. JustinL

JustinL Rookie

Jan 16, 2007
    Edison, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I definitely feel that there is value and a certain something special in the old, unrestored cars. It makes them unique. However, one element must always be accounted for, and that is safety. If the car is going to be driven and one still wants to preserve it's image patina, keeping the car up to par regarding its mechanics is absolutely crucial, and should have nothing to do with "preserving it's originality."
    Just my $.02. :)