Paul Cloke | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Paul Cloke

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by LittleRedFerrariFan, Jun 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    This is an absolute shock! I have been out of town all day and just returned to find this terribly upsetting thread!

Many of us who attended the YardHouse lunch gathering this past weekend - only four days ago - all saw and spoke with Paul. I even spent a few minutes listening to him talk about possibly stepping up to a 360 some time in the not too distant future.

As many have already expressed - we have only known Paul for a few months. A few of us met him on our first YardHouse run. What a great guy and certainly a true gentleman! How very very sad! :( :(

Paul - We will all miss you! To his family - our thoughts and prayers are with you!

2. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If any kind of fund for the kids or any other kind of memorial is planned that will require donations, count me in.

3. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Wow -

I have a web order here for a set of 328 wheels put in by Paul just yesterday morning...seriously...

Condolences from across the water.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Very sad.....

Peter Egan observed recently that the internet has become the equivalent to the tolling of the village church bells, marking the passage of life.

Heard 'round the world................ condolences to wife and family.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Truly sad. The last thing he jokingly said to me is if I wanted to trade the rims from my 328.

6. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Here is something that all of us should reflect on...

IF I KNEW

If I knew it would be the last time that I'd see you fall asleep,
    I would tuck you in more tightly and pray the Lord, your soul to keep.

If I knew it would be the last time that I see you walk out the door,
    I would give you a hug and kiss and call you back for one more.

If I knew it would be the last time I'd hear your voice lifted up in praise, I would videotape each action and word, so I could play it back day after day.

If I knew it would be the last time, I could spare an extra minute to stop and say "I love you," instead of assuming you would KNOW I do.

If I knew it would be the last time I would be there to share your day, well I'm sure you'll have so many more, so I can let just this one slip away.

For surely there's always tomorrow to make up for an oversight, and we always get a second chance to make everything just right.

There will always be another day to say, "I love you," and certainly there's another chance to say our "Anything I can do?"

But just in case I might be wrong, and today is all I get, I'd like to say how much I love you and I hope we never forget.

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone, young or old alike, and today may be the last chance you get to hold your loved one tight.

So if you're waiting for tomorrow, why not do it today?

For if tomorrow never comes, you'll surely regret the day, that you didn't take that extra time for a smile, a hug, or a kiss and you were too busy to grant someone, that turned out to be their one last wish.

So hold your loved ones close today, and whisper in their ear, tell them how much you love them and that you'll always hold them dear.

Take time to say, "I'm sorry," "Please forgive me," "Thank you," or "It's okay."

And if tomorrow never comes, you'll have no regrets about today.

7. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Very sad news, I was hoping to get a chance to meet and talk to him about his 328 on the last drive. :(

8. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Ohh man, I don't know him, but he sounds like an awesome person that everyone liked. My deepest sympathy for him and his family.

This is why I love F-chat. Look at the "love" the community has for it's members, I think it is the greatest to read all these messages, and just a thought, but print them all out and give them to the family? :( I think it will warm there hearts in these difficult times.

9. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Diane and I were on this last Sunday Brunch Run with the group. What a fun morning! We spoke briefly with Paul ... mostly to introduce my wife to him.
    It's times like this, that lead you to understand how important it is to LIVE LIFE to the fullest. Our F-chat group is certainly more than a bunch of material worshiping folks. There is really camaraderie!

Our deepest condolences to his family,

Bill & Diane

10. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Very sad news. I never met him but I am sure I have seen the car at recent events. My prayers are with everyone.

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The Prayer flags that my son brought back from Everest that now fly over my yard fly for Paul his family and his friends. They also fly for all of us as the bell that tolls, tolls for all of us as well. Be safe. Enjoy each day and never forget the friends who pased on. Never.

12. LittleRedFerrariFan

May 24, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    D
    As the days go by, the clouds of sorrow part from time to time and his warmth breaks in...and sometimes, when I tell others about him, I recover long enough from the grief for some of the good, happy memories to break through...I hope that the same is true for all of you out there too. I knew him long enough to know that he would not like all the long, sad faces...for his purpose in life was to make us smile...and to show us to enjoy life...like he did, as he hoped for the best and prepared for the worst.

Still do not have any new information about the arrangements. I don't have it in me to interrupt their time together as the family unites. Our losses are so miniscule compared to theirs. I too want to help in any way that I can, but don't have the slightest idea how to go about it.

My heart fills with pain, joy and sympathy to everyone who wants to reach out to his children and to his family. My best advice is to contact the HR department where he works. They are far more equipped to handle these kind of things than a little red ferrari fan. Please contact the gas trading department of Southern California Edison. They should be able to get you in touch with the right people.

Thanks to all who have reached out....wishing you all a safe journey...

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I never had the chance to meet Paul, but I'm sure that if I had, I would have had the same opinion as the others. He must have been a very nice guy. My you rest in peace Paul, and may the good LORD keep your soul, amen.

14. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    My condolences to his family and friends. He sounded like a wonderful person. This is very sad. :(

15. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    I just found out today at the Marconi Museum from Steve/SAF1 about Clokey.

I couldn't stay there; I haven't been this sad nor lost anyone in a long time that was truly dear friend to me.

So, I'm visiting all the emails and PM's that I had with Clokey and missing him very very much, as I know so many of you must be doing the same and it's really nice to have the memories of him.

The last time I saw him at the Yard House I got great big hugs and hung out with him and his nephew. I told him that since the Torrance Memorial was right down the street I'd visit him while he got his hemo drip. His nephew was celebrating a birthday that day at the Yard House and Clokey had said that the drive was a little Birthday celebration. That's Dear Clokey isn't it? Always thoughtful, fun and giving.

I hope Rob Lay will not remove his PM's or Profile, Posts, or started Threads and instead in honor of Paul and in memory please keep his stuff here in Ferrari chat as it is please.

To his family, friends, colleagues and driving buddies-this loss is a terrible tragedy. If there is anything I can help with please don't hesitate to let me know.

It is an honor to remember this magnificent man and to know him as a wonderful gift of a person that would bring cheer...lots of cheer where-ever he was. I hope in heaven he really gets that 360 because he damn well deserves it.

I hope the Vegas run will be in his honor as he did want to go badly.

In memory of Clokey...

Dear Paul you are an Angel officially now but you always were one to me.

The bonds of friendship never die.

All the blessing of the lord...

Brigitte

16. Ritz

Ritz Karting

Apr 24, 2004
    Orange County, CA.
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    I can not belive this! I just had the pleasure of meeting Paul a couple of times at Crystal Cove! What a NICE GUY! Im totally saddened by this tragedy. My prays and and thoughts go out to his family and love ones!

My Condolences

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I don't think Rob will do that Brigitte, it will always be there.

A sad day for all. Thoughts an prayers go out to you.

I think in heaven, you can skip the 30K service. That's my view of it, anyway.

Condolences from Texas, to all his So Cal friends and family.

(would post favorite ocean sunset pic here, but cannot......)

18. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    ...if the guys do a drive for Clokey there should be some tunnels included as he really enjoyed driving thru them.

Brigitte

19. rsrx

rsrx Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Alphonse
    #69 rsrx, Jun 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    that's the one....thanks!!!!!! ;)

21. MOUSEBOSS

MOUSEBOSS Rookie

Jun 15, 2004
    This is Maggie, Paul Cloke's former wife and the Mom of his two beautiful daughters. My apologies that it's taken me this long to finally sit down and read all the heartfelt messages that you guys have sent in.......thank you so much!

As you can imagine, our world has been turned upside down, but we are all coping as best we can.... day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute. We are taking great comfort from Paul's vast network of friends and colleagues, including yourselves.

We'll be leaving soon for England for Paul's final services, and will touch base with you again after that.

All the best,

Maggie

22. MarkNelson

MarkNelson Rookie

Jun 18, 2004
    We too are very sad at SCE about Paul's passing. He sat in my office a few days before he left us and we talked about his kids and our boats. He was planning to trade the powerboat for a sailboat so that he could teach the girls to sail. And he was waiting to put the new exhaust system on his f-car. I understand that there was a memorial for Paul today near SCE, but I was away on business and could not attend. If you are planning a plaque and still need donations, let me know.

[email protected]

23. LittleRedFerrariFan

May 24, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    D
    Just wanted to share with you, one of the passages spoken today at Paul's memorial for Edison...his family, in their loving and unselfish way, have asked that donations be made in his memory to an organization that supported his illness. I don't have all of the details at hand, but know that he suffered from
    Guillian Birus Syndrome (www.gbsfi.com). They have been hurting so much, I haven't had it in me to ask them for any more plans or details. Perhaps in time, we can do something more to comfort them.

Big hugs and tears to all!

Red

In memory of Paul Cloke

Paul had a way of bringing people together.
    He was not the type of person to venture out alone.
    He loved to be surrounded by people. Looking out
    over the crowd gathered before us today, it is easy
    to see that he made a lot of friends at Edison.

And once you were a friend of Paul's, you were his
    friend for life. He was gifted with the ability
    to see inside others, to see past the surface and the
    superficial barriers into the very essence of our individuality.
    In his carefree way, he drew out the strength of others,
    forgave all of the weaknesses and inspired everyone to
    make the most of the God given talents that we posses.

Paul was a professional and knew when it was appropriate
    to be wise and to be thoughtful. But he was also a prankster
    and would not hesitate to burst out with a joke if the
    opportunity presented itself and then blush deep red when
    he realized what he had said.

He was a leader. His management technique was simple, he
    respected his team, he believed in their abilities, he
    encouraged them to give all that they had when they were
    at their best and allowed them to set aside time for their
    personal life when their families needed them to be home.
    The trading floor will never be the same without him.

His oversight did not end with the Trading team. His level
    of influence knew no boundaries. His enthusiasm for life
    reached out to the ends of the Earth. Paul was a worldly
    gentlemen who set sail early in life to explore the reaches
    of the world and to make his mark on mankind. He enjoyed
    the finer things in life but lived for the simple joy that
    each day brings.

Following in the wake of his Father, he was the captain of his
    own ship. The freedom of the open ocean, the spraying sea salt
    and the rhythmic tide brought him a sense of serenity and peace.

To satisfy a childhood dream, he purchased a Ferrari early this
    year and revved the engine up under every tunnel he passed and
    offered the drivers seat to every young enthusiast that
    approached him. He bonded with the Ferrari club of Southern
    California and they grieve collectively as we do in his
    passing.

Paul held his family close and wanted nothing but the best
    for his loved ones. He wanted so much to be a good Father,
    to set goals and to set an example and then he worried a
    lot about being too stern. He wanted to love and to guide
    them without causing harm and without widening the generation gap.
    He asked for advice from everyone, all the while knowing that
    a teenage girl's heart is one of the most mysterious places
    of all.

Our hearts go out to Paul's close friends and family for all
    that they have lost. May his spirit and his memory be enough
    to guide them to where they can find peace and comfort
    through the most trying of times.

If Paul was here among us today, he would spend the rest
    of the day trying to cheer us all up. So in his memory, let's
    summon up all of our strength to overcome the grief for a
    few moments to smile for Paul and all that he stood for. In
    his final days, the pain and the anguish from his illness