Peagasus' Boeing 737-800 slides out of the runway and breaks in three parts in Istambul | FerrariChat

Peagasus' Boeing 737-800 slides out of the runway and breaks in three parts in Istambul

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by nerofer, Feb 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Landed 2/3 of the way down the runway.

"According to ATC frequency recordings the aircraft performed an ILS approach to runway 06.

Upon contacting tower the crew was told there had been two go arounds prior to them.

The aircraft was cleared to land on runway 06, tower adivsed winds were from 270 degrees at 22 knots gusting 37 knots, the crew read back the cleared to land. "

Looks like more bad decision making and pilot buffoonery, Long landing with tailwind component exceeding limits.....

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well: third time in the last two years that a Pegasus airliner has left the runway; second time in barely a month; now, I don't know about you, but as for myself, I think that I would chose another company...
    Also it somehow mitigates Erdogan's claims, and hopes, to turn Istanbul into the largest "european"(*) airport.

(*) there has been some disagreement recorded lastly about Turkey actually being in Europe...

Rgds

Rifledriver likes this.
  4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Geographically it's in Asia, not Europe... It's in NATO, though...

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The list of accidents due to bad decision making and pilot buffoonery is far, far, far longer than the list of accidents due to mechanical failure or bad design.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

More....
    You said Turkey...

But Istanbul itself actually IS in Europe.... barely.

7. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It seems Istanbul has multiple airports and this one is on the Asian side of the strait.

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #9 nerofer, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020

I know, and I have even been there once or twice…
    actually, my observation was rather tongue-in-cheek. Without dwelving into P & R…
    Turkey has been courting the EU for years to become a member ; but for many reasons, quite a number of E.U members have cold feet and have been doing their best to delay the decision.
    One of the official justifications is that the E.U has to have geographical borders, so has to stop somewhere, and that « Turkey is not in Europe » (which is probably somewhat hypocrit, but convenient and useful)
    Nowadays the question has been solved, because Erdogan is tired of courting the EU, which doesn’t seem to be interested, so he has turned his objective on restauring the Ottoman Empire (according to some).

Rgds

And, just for the anecdote about the E.U geographical limits: very few people do seem to know that one of the first countries to ask if it could apply for EU membership was...Morocco, in the sixties. It then officially applied in June 1984 to become an EU Member; the application was officially denied in 1987.