Pearl Harbor Day | FerrariChat

Pearl Harbor Day

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Dec 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Pearl Harbor Day
    Again, I have been aghast at the lack of historical recognition and education in this country. I mentioned the date at a store as being a date to recognize and the clerk said, " And what happened on that date?" Where in the hell are we going? What is being taught in our schools? Nobody can write anymore and the students have no idea what or who we are anymore.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    pathetic.

During the late 80's I spoke to a pilot from the 19th P.S., who flew P-26's after the attack. They took them out of the crates to fly CAP. Not many airworthy P-40B's and C's were still around the airfields.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Watch Watters' World on Fox when he plays stump the dummy with very simple questions on history and current events. The results are pretty discouraging, even if they are very funny. Does not surprise me at all that most younger folks have no clue about 7 December 1941. Most have no clue when WW-I or WW-II took place.

I was talking with my Mom about 7 December 1941 and Pearl Harbor. She was 16 at the time (yes 92 now) and said nobody knew where Pearl Harbor was initially, but everyone knew it was bad.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I may have posted this before but I will mention it anyway. I was in a group of British aviation cadets and some of my family when we attended a pro football game at Griffith Stadium, Washington D.C. The game was between the Washington Redskins and the Philadelphia Eagles. About halfway through the game they stopped it and announced that the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor. In the stunned silence we could hear muted and confused voices, " Where the hell is Pearl Harbor?" I was 15 years old at the time, one year younger than your mom, Terry, and I didn't know where Pearl Harbor was either but we soon learned where a lot of places were in the Pacific. A year later my brother was in the Army as a surgeon fresh out of a shortened residency and I had two brothers-in-law who were flying in New Guinea. I still get very angry at the lack of education in American and World history in our high schools.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Affirmative, they seem to be more indoctrinated than educated.

6. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Adams
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I remember discussing world war 2 with someone and they talked about us fighting the Japanese in Europe. I had to walk away at that point.

Sent from my VS995 using FerrariChat.com mobile app