Pebble Beach | FerrariChat

Pebble Beach

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by norbert, Aug 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #1 norbert, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Jim Fuchs from Brookfield, WI bought an aluminum bodied '56 Boano coupe 7 years ago that had sat off the road in Venezuela for 25 years. Today that car won 2nd in class in the "Ferrari Competition Class" at Pebble Beach against World Class competition with what is now being said to be, "The Mother of all Restorations". So happy for him! ! Jim says he doesn't think it has hit him yet with what he has been able to do. Motion Products with Wayne at the wheel there has done what many thought could never happen with Jim's dedication and love of our hobby "keeping the light burning". A great moment for sure.

Norbert

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Congrats to him!

3. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Thought I should mention that the Blackhawk Museum in Danville, CA near SF has a current display of 50s-60s sports cars. Many Ferraris, Maseratis, many Detroit - makes - Italian bodied specials that I never knew existed - you should see the Thunderbird!!!

Rick said that we should stop at Moal Coachbuilders even though it is a closed shop and we don't know anyone there....No name building with just the number.. on the side. Mark, the son showed us everything. Invited us across the alley to a building...no photos...tell no one...there is a car there that will be on every car magazine in the World...god... all the panels are there on the car...V 12 engine...just can't say more. Have the entire memory of the car burned into my mind...It is just that more than great....

Highlights of Monterey...

First thing Thursday... saw Chis LaPorte from back home at the Pebble Beach drive of cars...one of the most dedicated car guys out there, a real friend...

Went to Cavalino on Friday...Saw Barry McGuire,,,Said I thought he was dead Rick...Rick said I am going to tell him that...Got there first and cut his remark with just saying, "deceased and 6 feet under"...He laughed and told us he spent the night in a hospital but it was only a virus...(Hope his wife bought the story...sorry just kidding...)

Ended up at Goodings...spoke to more people concerning Indy cars...after speaking to this on gentlemen for a long time found out from another that that person owned 60 Indy cars...then began to speak with a husband and wife that set me strait about the hobby ...ask me some time ...too personal from where I can quote in life...

4. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Any pictures? Envious of those that went this year, been twice thus far (2006 and 2010) and will never forget it.

5. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Will try to post when I have time...The memories are the best...The Yiddish brod...that I told the Jiddish stories too...She liked the guy from Brazil....Some of the best known when you meet them...it is always that way....car guys....

6. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
  7. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Way to go Jim! Off to Oscars Custard to celebrate when he gets back home!

8. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    When I spoke to him at the Ferrari Concours it was beginning to sink in a bit. Like here is this car that no one would care about....Loved the car from the start and the story too. It couldn't have been a better story, and when one looks inside the car, it is just like one off the show room. When Virginia said to me that it hadn't sunk in yet with her Dad, I could understand. Such a dedicated car guy with a dream come true that everyone appreciated in the end....

9. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #9 Daytona Rick, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Norbert, you were never at a loss with a good joke at the right time. I hope I didn't run you too ragged. Had a ball as usual out there, but this time with you at my side. Pics of La Ferrari, 488, and Sergio will be coming shortly.

10. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    #10 Gerry328, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    My wife and I arrived on the 13th and returned on the 20th, we had a great time. On Friday morning we were at Laguna Seca, then picked up our car from the transport company and did the pre-placement at Concorso Italiano.

Most of Saturday we spent at Concorso. Friday and Saturday evenings were at the RM Auction, very cool. Pebble Beach was as expected, amazing cars. The Nationals were good, with the best part being Tuesday at the track and the pleasure drive Wednesday morning. Based on my experience the Chicago FCA is a master at organizing a national event.

Overall this was a great bucket list trip. I'll post some photos later.

11. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Please give me a little time to take the time to pull a few photos and the video of you driving up to the presentation...Know it was yesterday, but know you will enjoy what I send as time goes by....

12. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Just concerning your last sentence in your post...I do understand what you are saying. The comment that I have said to many who organize such evens....Those organizers are almost always volunteers regardless of their title....paid nothing but a tee shirt or an owner-able mention...Gerry, you haven't been a successful business person because you didn't have a reward, hopefully, for your efforts. We all have to accept this when we enter any of these events in my opinion....I sure do understand this every time I attend any event....

13. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    By the way getting things together in the mean time before more video links...Tuba Skinny....again....

At 46:30...toward the end...not at the beginning... The do da do hit the recirculating opposite force....Other great stuff after the major act also......If you haven't figured it out yet, Shaye Cohn on cornet is the one who leads and does all the arranging for the group....has a musical dad and grandfather also...ask me some time.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFAzB0oqdCw

14. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    #14 Gerry328, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are a few of my photos.

A 250 GTO at Laguna Seca on Friday.

The line of 328s at Concorso Italiano.

While there were many very special cars at Pebble Beach, I was surprised to find these two cars from the Baillon Collection sold at Artcurial's Retromobile sale earlier this year. The Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder and Maserati A6G 2000. So how were they shipped across the Atlantic with the dust and dirt intact?

A few of me at the Laguna Seca track on Tuesday. That was very cool. Then parked along the 17 Mile Drive during the pleasure drive Wednesday morning.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Dino V