Penske to buy Mercedes ? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Penske to buy Mercedes ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Mitch Alsup, Nov 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I saw the LeMans 1966 Ford vs Ferrari film the other night, and Ken Miles was one of these, as was Michael Schumacher.
    With todays cars, not sure a development engineer / driver has the same input as he / she did 50 years ago.

william likes this.
  2. 'Wasn't aware of Michael's...
    Anywho...Maybe not the same amount of input as back when, but, every little (or large) amount of additional technical knowledge aids in the communication with the teams engineers. ;)

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #79 william, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019

Not in F1 that's for sure. But when Donohue lived, the same man could be the car mechanic, the designer of a new system, the fabricator of new body panels, the machinist of new parts, the bench tester, the one assembling the car, then the driver for the initial shake down, and then the one putting miles and miles of track time to set the suspension, tune the engine, and validating the changes. Mark Donohue did all of that.
    Penske raced Corvettes, Porsches, Camaros, Ferraris, Lolas or AMC that were modified and greatly improved by Mark Donohue burning the midnight oil in the workshop.
    The Lola CanAm, the T70 MK3 and the Ferrari 512S entered by the Penske Team were completely transformed under his care. John Surtees commented about the degree of attention and preparation on the Penske Lola, and even the Ferrari mechanics couldn't believe how different the Kirk White/Penske 512s was from a "standard" Scuderia car. Not only the chassis had been rebuilt, the suspension redesigned, the fuel system reviewed to incorporate aviation refuelling, but the car had different aero, also it was lower and lighter !!! It stands now as one of the most beautifyl Ferrari of all time !!!
    I don't know many drivers who have been such accomplished development engineer as Mark Donohue was.

Greg34 and Sig. Roma like this.
  4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Jack Brabham was one also.

Greg34 and william like this.
  5. #81 lorenzobandini, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Different aero? Okay.
    ('Don't know how good it is tho'........ :eek:)

Beautiful?
    If you say so.......... :confused:

'Coulda' fooled me..... :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/smuckatelli/38145012331
    V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

Oh, you mean when it looks like this.....:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

'All respect for Donohue but I might also mention, again, Al aaannnndddd Dan G (also, who Jim thought was his greatest threat on the track) and Jim H. ;)

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #82 william, Nov 19, 2019
    The Penske Ferrari was the first 512s with a large wing at the back, maybe the only one, I don't know.
    Donohue designed and tested it himself.
    He also redesigned and fabricated himself the undertray to improve the airflow under the car.

This made this 512S faster than the other 512S, and equal in top speed to the best Porsche 917s.
    Qualifs times proved it.
    There is an interview of David Hobbs, where he goes to great lengths about the improvements on that car compared to the "standards" 512s.

Beauty? Very subjective, I know.
    The Penske Ferrari was voted among the best looking racing Ferraris by Ferrari fans.

7. #83 lorenzobandini, Nov 19, 2019
    william,
    I know these things.
    It was just a joke. Note the smilies.
    'Not funny when needed to be explained....'has to be in the moment
    Did you click on the link before moving down to the photo of the unblemished 512? :) (I couldn't post the photo itself)

edit: 'Just discovered how to extract the photo (one should learn something new every day) so this is the initial one:
    [​IMG]

8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    It appears to now be a trivial history contest between William and LorenzoB.

The topic is will Penske buy the Mercedes F1 team? They've denied it.

Next topic . . . . .

Jack-the-lad and 375+ like this.
  9. No contest. Just misunderstanding.

Quite correct tho', we s/h continued "conversationing", not "conversing" here...

Apology.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But why can't you suffer for a minute a couple of old folks reminiscing about the good old days of motor racing?

Most posts drift away from topic anyway, and no harm is done.

11. Speak for yourself, you old fart. :p

We may be the same in years but I am only as "old" as I feel, which when talkin' the real (definitely not close as today) racing of the '60s, , 70s, 80s, and 90s (transition years), and before I was following, puts me right back at that age. ;)

You have to forgive.
    They may see when looking back on these sheety (to me) days of "paritizing" for the "real" (close) racing that is their "better" times, maybe then, when it is whatever it is, they'll understand. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Then again, maybe not.

'Sorry. Off topic again.

On with the show. (Oh , I'm sorry, the "real racing")

william likes this.
  12. F430 F1 Singapore

Mar 4, 2016
    Singapore
    Jack-the-lad likes this.
  13. F430 F1 Singapore

Mar 4, 2016
    Singapore
    Personally, I am only as young as the girl I feel. :p

lorenzobandini likes this.