People just don't care | Page 2 | FerrariChat

People just don't care

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by barranr, Mar 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    If you can afford a Ferrari, you can afford to live someplace where you can park it safely. That's no excuse for dick-head, inconsiderate a$$holes putting dings in your car. But that's life in America these days. No one gives a damn about anyone else's property, especially cars. Chalk it up to what this country has come to and start looking for a better place to live. In the meantime, try parking your car on an angle, across two spaces so no one can park next to you and ding it again. That might get the point across to those who live in your complex until you can move.

2. PlayersMarkus

PlayersMarkus Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    I cannot believe how many on guys on here would get satisfaction out of revenge...scary !
    I would just not park a Ferrari in a parking spot of an appartment building, especially if their layout is this tight, what do you expect ?
    I thought you are the smart one :O)

Markus

3. barranr

barranr Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Herndon VA
    Full Name:
    Rod Barrand
    I did have a 3 car garage, but now my ex has the 3 car garage and now i can't afford another one. But that's another story. I normally park in the end spot with my other car next to it but someone had taken it.
    Apart from that i don't see why i should be deprived of my enjoyment of owning one, even without a garage, just because of some tart who can't park

4. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    Best post here (assuming you got her contact info ;) ).

Having a cop show up was good because he has to fill out paper work, thus documenting the situation.

Even though my current cars aren't exotic I take great pride in them. I park in the back-40, on an end spot so there's only ONE idiot that can potentially park next to me instead of TWO. If the only decent parking is waaaay back I'll drop the girlfriend off at the front door then park the car. Luckily my car obsession is wearing off on her as she now looks for end spots to park her car :)

Sorry dude about the bump in the night. No matter how minor it may be, it still leaves a sick feeling in your gut :( Hope you can easily and quickly get it repaired.

5. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    She was probably too focused on her cel phone call to notice there was a car in her way!

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    If at least she apologized,then yes ,let it go but she was stubborn and obviously in denial,so she needs a more persuasive lesson.

7. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I beg to differ, that might piss people off even more and God only knows what they'll do then.

8. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ

Air-cooled nut- you and I think alike! At first my wife didn't understand why I park so far away from other cars (when we were dating), and then she understood, and now she does the same thing! My car nuttiness is even rubbing off on her (although she still doesn't like riding in the beetle bug :) )

Murphy's law is whenever I park farther away from others at a mall or where ever, when I come out there are 99% of the time swarms of cars parked around me. It's crazy- I make a concentrated effort to walk further, and every SUV is parked by me! Oh well....the end spot is the best- it cuts your chances of dings in half!

With regards to the original post- sorry about the ding- that would piss the hell out of me!!!

9. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    Its worse in England, some drunk street scum sees a nice car there and they dent or scratch it deliberately out of jealousy.

In the US its normally carelessness or they tend to steal it.

Just my humble opinion spending time in both places....................

10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Let's invent a cure for this, how about boat fenders! or maybe carry a red cone with you in the boot and set it in the empty space, or how about get a beat up challenge car like mine and don't worry about the finish....

I know, it drives me ape sht as well.

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yeah, it sucks but it's part of life. At least it's probably a mere <$200 fix.

Why didn't you (or God forbid the cop) think to have her slowly (this time) open her door and match up to the ding?

Insurance would be a waste. Unless you have a $100 deductible, it will not be met by the damage. ;)

DL

12. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.

My sympathies. Been there; done that! Part of the price you pay for unloading that albatross. But soon enough you'll be back living in the style you're accustom to, and that ding in the door will be nothing compared to waking up every morning and NOT seeing that anchor weighing down the other side of the bed.

For car dings and the like, there's Mastercard. Being rid of the Ex -- priceless!

13. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    That's what I was gonna say, Wouldn't that be proof enough for the cop if the ding and door lined up?

14. markymark360f1

markymark360f1 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Take her to small claims, maybe she wont show and you get a judgement against her credit.
    This is the best form of revenge. Cost her time money and energy. Thats the only thing people will understand when they have crossed the line of good citizenship.

MM

15. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Dent Wizard. $85. Dent gone. Usually, it's $85 per panel, not per dent, so you can get the whole door cleaned up.

16. jwol

jwol Rookie

Feb 19, 2004
    Centreville, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    That's about what I would expect from most of the fine folks in Northern Virginia. Consider yourself lucky my wife's Mazda has been involved in three parking lot hit and runs for the three years that we have owned it. It gets nailed once every winter without fail. So far we've had a total of $5000.00 in damages inflicted on it by careless morons completely lacking integrity. My wife is a bit of a gearhead too, she's carefull with her cars, she's carefull where she parks. The Mazda must be an idiot magnet.
    I agree that the officer should have had her open her door to determine whether it was her or not. Oh, well.
    I feel your pain.

17. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Yeah...revenge...why not just steal her car and dump it in the nearest lake. Give me a break! Revenge will not make you feel better. You are clearly a responsible person and exacting revenge will make you feel like #@$ when you're done. I agree that the cop should have tried to line up the door and the dent...he should have let you do it, actually. Too late now, though...too bad. This happened to me when I had a Porsche 944...I was in the car and a guy walked by with a metal lawn chair and dragged the chair across the side of the car. By accident, I believe, but very careless. I jumped out and he denied doing it. Luckily witnesses saw it and the police took a report...he actually stayed around waiting for the police...anyway, this doesn't help you.

As for the comment about if you own a Ferrari you can afford a Ferrari...ignorant. Use the suggestions for covers and keep parking on the end if possible. Sorry this happened.

18. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I've never had the need but I think a small amount of revenge would make me feel a little bit better for a little while.

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Just for a moment, you might consider that it perhaps wasn't the Lexus. There's a high percentage of bad drivers (and worse parkers) around ...

... and the ones that actually hit Ferraris tend to move elsewhere to avoid the consequences.

I also don't see how your mirror would get bent that way from that Lexus pulling in or opening the driver's door. Perhaps someone hit the door, heard the car alarm, and whanged the mirror tearing arse out of there.

Then along comes a Lexus whose owner never had Crayolas (as in "keep between the lines"), who has to deal with the irate Ferrari owner.

I expect that either the Lexus owner will now be aware of the lines, or will bang up every sports car on the road in frustration.

When you consider the percentage of posts here advocating vengence, the odds aren't that good on the SUV driver.

20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    True. There is a reputable guy around here who charges $100 per panel. I came to the ~$200 figure by adding potential mirror issues.

DL

21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If this "Person" truly fits this profile, you can always tell "Them" to go fuck "Themselves!" ;)

DL

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Well, this thread is why I always get the "end spot" or park in the very back of the parking lot....just can't trust people to be cautious....let's face it, some people are numb nuts, and we just have to realize they are out there and cannot change them.

23. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I've got a suggestion. It will cost a little money, and yes, it is revenge, but, that's a dish that's best eaten cold anyway, and this may take a little time. Here goes. Sue her (yep, hire a lawyer, sorry) and have your lawyer demand an oral deposition under oath in the presence of a court reporter. (BTW, did she give a formal statement to the cop when he showed up; if so, all the better, as you will see).
    Get her either to admit or deny, under oath, with attendant penalties of perjury, whether or not, in fact, she did or did not bang into your car door. (If she lied to the police, and there is a written record by the officer who wrote up a report- check this first), then ask her if she lied to the police.
    Then, no matter what she says, admit or deny, she has lied under oath. If she denies poking you during the deposition, she has lied under oath. If she admits it during the deposition, she lied on a police report.
    Then, go see the local DA and demand to have her prosecuted for perjury, and or obstruction of justice.
    By the time you are through making her miserable, you will feel a hundred percent better. And, she can go to jail. It's known in New York as the L'il Kim technique.

24. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I am never, ever getting on Bill's bad side. - :D

25. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name: