People just don't care | Page 4 | FerrariChat

People just don't care

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by barranr, Mar 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Revenge doesn't have to be destructive. Can't we have fun with these clueless people?

We need to come up with the best bumper sticker. Then we all buy a few and keep them in our cars.

Every time you get a ding-bat at the mall, that parks to close or dents a door... you put on the sticker

"I"m that dumba*s at the mall that dented your door"
    " I can't park and I'm not fit to have a drivers license"
    "I'm the lowest scum in your everyday life... parking idiot"

Have fun knowing that the guy will be driving around like that till his kids or boss ask "What's that on the back of your car?"

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Faster is Better is absolutely right. We are a civilized nation. We cannot be found to be slugging it out in the mud with the great unwashed no matter how low they stoop. Thus,
    "I'm a lawyer. I don't take much **** from anyone" really means:

I will sue the living **** out of you, ruin your financial, mental and social well-being and status, rake you over the coals, crush your tiny little head between the unforgiving forceps of every law, regulation and statute i can find, and then use those same forceps to eviscerate you, pull your entrails over the hot, expensive, painful coals of costly, time consuming and mortally draining legal proceedings, drag you into pointless, but humiliating discovery, depose your neighbors, friends, and bankers, reveal everything about your secret life, including what's on your computer, what's shown on your telephone and credit card records, and in your personal diary. I will, in effect and substance, ruin you utterly, and entirely.

Thank God we are a civilized people. ;)

3. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    Sa-weet! Nail, meet hammer :)

JPF's note ("in a week something will happen") is brilliant! The bumper sticker is a good idea, too, but I think placing it in the middle of their windshield or bridging the driver door (maybe even the door handle) would give them that extra clue they so obviously need.

For those who let it pass, you have more money and patience for inconsiderates than I. If someone dinged my car, in my presence, and did nothing about it, I would NOT let it pass. Too many people get away with too much crap and even more don't take responsibility of their actions -- which really pisses me off to no end! Small claims is a good choice which I'll remember.

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Very well said.

"I'm a lawyer. I don't take much sh&t from anyone". Really? If someone gives you sh&t what do you do back to them that is FAR less harmful then deflating a tire?

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Glad you liked the idea..but please do not do it. It could wind up to be a much worse situation then intended.

I had a friend that had a towing company. Sombody parked much to close to his beloved hotrod (really nice car by the way). He calmly drove home, got his tuck, and towed that persons car to the next town. He left a note with the parking attendant were the car could be found with a caption "this is how far away you should park your car from mine". I thought that was a good one.

6. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    In my country, a joke like that could lead to a very serious situation... involving life and death.... as many examples had happened....

If you want to make a joke about someone, make sure the other person is laughing about that joke also. Otherwise, a joke will become an insult...

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

Good thing we don't live in you're country isn't it? ;) If that truly was the case then I would be sure that they would not have even the most remote chance of comming after me..if you get my drift..

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Handled like a consumate mechanic. I love this story. Now for my short story. Years ago I went to Canadian Tire with a friend of mine driving my brothers BMW. Parked out in the middle of nowhere. When I came out there was no other car in sight except for an Oldsmobile that is parked into the rear bumper of the BMW. Not a hint of damage but the fact the guy left the car parked into mine got the juices flowing. My friend jokingly handed me a hammer he had just bought. To his amazment, and without hesitation, I took it and put it through the guy's headlight. Up here in Canada we don't have to worry about being shot as much as in the US so it seemed like the prudent thing to do.

9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #84 FarmerDave, Mar 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. I hate people like that, I would definetly retaliate in some way/shape or form.

11. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    yeah well i just heard a remake of "One Night In Bangkok", they fkn raped that song which is one of my favourites. wankers.

that is all.

12. MickerF1

MickerF1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Napa,Ca.Makakilo HI
    Full Name:
    Michael Ferreira
    I once parked my 400i outside my garage only to find a dent in the hood. A giant pinecone had fallen on the hood, denting it. I sawed down the tree as justice and threw away my kid's tree house.
    Another time a ratty old pickup truck parked next to it and the owner proceeded to add gas to his truck using a gas can. What leaked on the ground ran under my car. The cherry fell off his cigarette igniting the puddle and flamed up the side of my car, melting the paint. He jumped in his truck to save it and drove away.(witness acount) He bought the gas at the Chevron station across the street. To get even I stopped buying gas there after 7 years.
    A new speed bump without markings took out my chin spoiler and pushed back the sway bar. The small steam roller belonging to the paving company who re-did the parking lot took a trip down a ravine. I noticed the rental company name on it as it dissapeared near a creek. The speed bumps were installed because of a resident who speeds in and out of the developmelnt on a regular basis. I found out that resident with the F-car was me. . . . .
    I was remodelling my master bath and removed the tub, placing it next to the driveway leaning against a hedge. I haden't noticed it had tipped over and I back ed my Testarossa into it, damaging my rear quarter. I decided to remodel using a shower stall only to avoid a repeat f ths in the future.
    I went to the hardware store in my Mondial Cabriolet to get some primer paint for fixing the Testarossa. Parking was tight and I backed up knowing I had lots of room between me and the pickup truck behind me. When I made impact I was still a good distance from it. Billy Bob had taken his camper off and left his rear extenda-bumper on it, allowing the rear bumper to extend 6' of the rear of the truck. Bye bye tail lights on passenger side. His bumper was legally installed, my only recourse was to give up camping in any kind of RV. I stay in hotels now. My Ferrari cost less than most SUV's and is made out of the same thing. I exact the most revenge against some of the dumpsters people drive by driving an H-1 military Humvee that runs on biodiesel and park it EXACTLY between the lines. I did my part.
    Oh yeah, one time I did crank my steering wheel hard right as I backed my Humvee up, riding the side of the next car removing his mirrors, trim, paint, etc. using the Kevlar 42"tires on WELD rims. I heard him bragggin one isle over in the supermarket that he slashed my tire on the rear passenger side. I came out of the market to find the tire damage. Thank God for runflats. I left a note on his car with all my information to wit: 6' male, Portugese/Hawaiian 280 lbs. size 12 steel toe boot, combat veteran o pos blood type and on meds for bi-polar. Call my about the damage to your car.(xxx) 555-ouch.

Garage to store my F-car in either at
    a storage facility or mechanic's shop $250.00 a month

Paying to have the Valet wherever I go
    keep my car up front and away from others $5.00 a trip

Driving my crappy car (740il) from home to
    storage to keep the Ferrari safe $Gas and maintenance

Peace of mind knowing I have done everything
    I can to keep the world from raping my F-cars Priceless

For everyone else there is wanker car. At any Japanese import store near you. Just beat it up and throw it away.

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    "Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. In the first stage of life the mind is frivolous and easily distracted, it misses progress by failing in consecutiveness and persistence. This is the condition of children and barbarians, in which instinct has learned nothing from experience."
    George Santayana, The Life of Reason, Volume 1, 1905 -- US (Spanish-born) philosopher (1863 - 1952)

Except that I've seen so many vehicles in MA running around on massively underinflated tires that the dweeb in question would probably ruin the sidewalls and run off the road before realizing that anything was amiss. Then (being MA) they'd sue you, Firestone, the road pavers, and the estate of Isaac Newton (for "inventing" inertia). :( And they'd probably add in Starbucks and Verizon, after the crash caused them to drop their cell phone into their hot coffee.

Don't confuse vengence with justice. Justice consists of no more than is dictated by "restitution and restraint". (John Locke, 1689). To use another ... "according to the passionate heats, or boundless extravagancy of his own will" ... does thereby "put himself into a State of War with him". A parking lot is not the ideal setting to determine what "calm reason and conscience dictates". Anyone who declares himself infallible has just disproven his own point.

14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Sorry to hear about the car Rod.

I only bought mine last September and not had much chance to use it due to the inclement British weather. However as the British summer approaches (I know because it is near April), I hope to use the F car a little maybe even at work which is the only place I will ever leave it unattended except when in my garage at home. I have to say I am nervous about leaving it for the same reason that yours was dinged. Have thought perhaps I will park it in a space all on its own (We have a large car park for a small amount of employees). I then worry it may get noticed parked miles away on its own. A prime target for thieves as the security barriers are no longer used.

Not sure if I will use my car for work after hearing about yours. I hate the thought of any car getting dinged in a car park let alone one a bit special. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Ps Don't see myself getting real revenge. However I like the ideas about bumper stickers. Not too malicous.

A few years ago we had a Drawing of Mickey Mouse with his middle finger up (showing the Bird I think in the USA? up yours here). With a caption that went something like.
    "Next time you leave your car close to mine please leave a can opener so i can get into my F$%^ing car".
    I never (I am glad to say) got the chance to leave this on a windscreen/windshield of any ones car.

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

16. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    #91 Bandit, Mar 17, 2005
  17. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Fantastic. I was a CAD Draughtsman at the time. late 80's and I remember tracing it with a light pen. If you have a bigger image can you mail to my hotmail account I would much appreciate it
    Thanks

18. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    True. Been thinking over my past quote on this thread and I retract part of it, I would be willing to do that water in the tank only if someone INTENTIONALLY vandalized my car. Alot of times, door dings are a result of just pure accidental nonchalance or the door just simply swung out faster and further than the driver had realized.

Ruining someones engine is a bit too severe and the guilt I would have would make it not worth the effort.

We are all human and make mistakes from time to time.

19. tiger 6

tiger 6 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C Darrah
    Bandit,
    Absolutely perfect! I have made a bunch of copies of Mickey,will carry them in all the cars,and I am sure they will be put to "good use!" Thanks.

20. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Love it! I think I'm going to copy that language and put it in all of my demand letters from now on. LOL

So, tell me, Professor, how would you deal with these minor annoyances of everyday life? Retaliation? We are supposed to be a country of laws. Things like door dings and scratches on cars should not evoke vandalism and violence as a response. How many times have we heard the stories about two guys getting into an argument about a parking spot or traffic problem or minor fender bender and one of them ends up shooting the other? Too many times. Violence incites more violence which escalates to more violence.

Someone said if they "saw" someone damage their car, they would not let them get away with it. If our hero here "saw" her damage his car, he could have done something about it legally. But he didn't. And she denied it. Chalk it up to the problems of life. **** happens. Now what if, just what if she was telling the truth. What kind of lesson would that teach her if he trashes her car? So then she trashes his car back? And then he..... You get the point, I hope.

The solution? I don't know... how about... Hmmmm.... forget about it and get on with your life? Chalk it up to one of life's little annoyances? Get it fixed and mutter under your breath? Go watch "Bowling for Columbine" and then tell me that violence is an answer to anything.

21. barranr

barranr Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Herndon VA
    Full Name:
    Rod Barrand
    Mike, love it. I'm going to print some out and stick one on the Lexus.

22. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I think these are a great idea. To add a little more to it allow me to suggest the following. Go to Staples or Office Depot and buy label paper (not the easy release kind) to print the message on. When you spot an offender, stick it to their windshield. No damage done but those paper decals take a bit of scraping and some solvents to remove fully. At worst you gave the guy a small non destructive clean up task, at best he'll be too lazy or in a hurry to remove it giving passers by a 'look at me I'm a looser' tag.

23. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Brilliant!!! Vindictive..in a safe and harmless kind of way.

BTW Rob, I still haven't used those distributors you sold me in 2003.

Cheers!

24. sampson

sampson Karting

Dec 22, 2004
    near Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Matt
    First off, that sucks about the car. Now, as for revenge, as long it doesn't cause permanent damage that can get you in trouble, why not do it? I'm surprised that no one's said it yet: put a potato in their exhaust pipe. Easy to do unnoticed, isn't permanent, and will scare the crap out of them when it explodes and shoots out the pipe. O - and it makes you feel better too.

25. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    #100 Bandit, Mar 17, 2005